No announcement yet.

Custom 8 paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OK, time to pull the trigger on deez...

Originally posted by Kam View Post
    Awesome, dude. I bet you'll love it.

Where'd you order the mags from?
    I think someone on here suggested this guy when Wymore announced he was closing - addiction-fx on Ebay?

Yeah, can't wait to try 'em once I get back!

Comment

• Re: Custom 8 paradise!

That was me, gotten several 8's, 4's & 3's from him, good dude.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
        That was me, gotten several 8's, 4's & 3's from him, good dude.
        Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I bought an A4 from addiction-fx, good deal. I'm going to put it in my 59 and see what happens. I'll have an extra A4 left over so I'll put it on the trading post.

Comment

• Re: Custom 8 paradise here I come - uh, week after next!

OK, guess this was supposed to happen this week (or at least set it up completely for two weeks from now..lol) ...first off, sad as it is about Wymore closing, looks like addiction-fx is going to step up to the plate...he ships fast - true, hes' in AZ and I'm in CA but still - mags got here already...and the other main thing I was looking for dropped into my lap via Ebay today...

Non-logo'ed, even-which will further complete the "older" look of the guitar. This is coming from a bit farther away, hope it gets here before I leave town. I still want to wait for a Stew Mac order and a trip to Radio Shack to get all the pickup-tweaker tools I need to get into this correctly (polarity tester, etc) but I am already excited.

Comment

• Custom 8 paradise!

Just finished putting in my first C8. Plugged it in played for a half hour. So far I like it, sounds very good distorted. But what I was impressed with the most was the clean sound. The one thing I didn't like about my Alt8. This thing sounds great clean and dirty. Hot but not too hot. Has a more vintage sound but can sound like modern metal. So far so good, we will see how I like over the next couple weeks. Thanks to all you guys for turning me onto this pickup.

Comment

my pleasure!! I love it rolled back and full on! Has ballz but vintage soul!!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  my pleasure!! I love it rolled back and full on! Has ballz but vintage soul!!
                  Just wanted to say thanks again for starting this thread, BloodRose...your reviews and all the other positive comments are what convinced me to give it a try! Sounds like the best of all worlds, Custom-wise. So far I've only seen a tiny amount of criticism of the cleans, but that's the minority opinion there it seems. Not enough to deter me.

Definitely looking logistically like I won't have time to do it until after the 4th - vacation prep going on (would try it in my main guitar, but have a gig that weekend - kind of afraid I may mess something up on the first attempt), but I can't wait! Will report my findings once I do it!

Comment

Originally posted by andrew11 View Post
                    Just finished putting in my first C8. Plugged it in played for a half hour. So far I like it, sounds very good distorted. But what I was impressed with the most was the clean sound. The one thing I didn't like about my Alt8. This thing sounds great clean and dirty. Hot but not too hot. Has a more vintage sound but can sound like modern metal. So far so good, we will see how I like over the next couple weeks. Thanks to all you guys for turning me onto this pickup.
                    Totally true, man. Personally I generally hate clean tones from a bridge pickup and very rarely use them but lately I've been using the C8 for clean more and more. It's really warm and it's never too brittle and ice-picky.

Also true about the versatility. Every time I try it with different EQ and amounts of gain I think I've found the perfect settings for it. Then I roll off the gain and hear it sing on some old Zeppelin licks and love that tone just as much. Crank it up and start firing out powerchords and punk rhythms and hear that roar and never want to turn the gain down again. It's the most responsive damn thing I've ever played/felt in my life.

It's truly an outstanding pickup.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Aww, thanks for the kind words! Im just glad others are digging it too! I fell in love with it when I first tried it and loved that it has a warm clean, and very musical vibe and enough gusto to kick butt. I wanted to share that in hopes others would dig it too. Seems liike a few have.. That thrills me.

keep us posted as you get some time in with it!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Is it still good for Thrash? Super tight and chugga chugga without a damn cocked-wah?

Comment

Originally posted by fowl2338 View Post
                          Is it still good for Thrash? Super tight and chugga chugga without a damn cocked-wah?
                          Absolutely. I think it's perfect for that. Really punchy in the mids, but the bass is tight, and the top end is present but not overbearing.

Comment

Originally posted by fowl2338 View Post
                            No cocked wah..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                              Totally true, man. Personally I generally hate clean tones from a bridge pickup and very rarely use them but lately I've been using the C8 for clean more and more. It's really warm and it's never too brittle and ice-picky.

Also true about the versatility. Every time I try it with different EQ and amounts of gain I think I've found the perfect settings for it. Then I roll off the gain and hear it sing on some old Zeppelin licks and love that tone just as much. Crank it up and start firing out powerchords and punk rhythms and hear that roar and never want to turn the gain down again. It's the most responsive damn thing I've ever played/felt in my life.

It's truly an outstanding pickup.

Cool. If it handles different gain structures well it should shine with all 3 of my Mesa MK III's channels... for example, seems my middle "crunch" channel likes the ceramic custom a little more than the CC....But cleans are better w/the CC IMO....

Comment

for all those who are wondering about the Custom 8 metal ability's! wow myself again.
                                this is about as brutal as any pickup can be yet it retains clarity!

made with my DSL100
                                sorry for the dumb intro
                                my youtube channel
                                www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
                                my Industrial music for sale here
                                http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
                                my soundcloud page
                                https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
                                my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
                                https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Comment

Working...