• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any pickups better for you than Seymour Duncans, if any

Nope

Comment

I'm not really a fan of SD's P-90s. They're a bit too bright for my tastes. I prefer Gibson P-90s.
      Last edited by sosomething; 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM.
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I into John Suhr pups,amazing stuff!

Comment

there are lots of good pup makers out there. lindy fralin makes some great strat pups, jason lollar makes a killer not really vintage p90, holmes makes a killer paf style humbucker

Comment

Hate me for sayin' it, but I like my old Super Distortion. Gibson P-90's and 498T are rather pleasing as well.

Comment

EMG: 81,89,60,85.
              DiMarzio: Double Whammy, MegaDrive, AirNorton.
              Rio Grande: Tele muy grande bridge and Tallboy neck.

When I want something that has a more natural flavor and isn't colored as much, I go to seymour duncan. When I want something that's got an "accent" I look elsewhere.

That said, my main player is loaded with SDs and my favorite pickups are SDs.

I can't say those pickups are better. They're just better for the tone I'm going for than what's comparable from SD.
              Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

I have a lot of guitars and hardly any of them have stock pickups. From Dimarzio, I have one guitar with a Breed neck, and I like it. But then it means I have to have a Dimarzio in the bridge or else it doesn't match visually. Although I'm liking the Screamin Demon in the neck position lately. I have another 24 fret guitar with a Super Distortion bridge and Super 2 neck. There's just something about that dual-ceramic setup that is so cold and crispy (but in a good way) when you use the pickups together, especially in single coil with the inside coils being close together.

I have a couple guitars with Bartolinis that I'll never replace. They're just "right" for certain things. I have a couple guitars with G&L Magnetic Field Design pickups too. There's no Seymour Duncan to replace ASAT pickups or the Z-Coil in the Comanche. I have an old APC middle single coil that I like, too.

I have a 25" scale mahogany guitar with a couple PRS pickups that I like too. I had a Rio Grande BBQ that seemed to be a sound you can't get from Seymour Duncan, but honestly I couldn't stay married to it no matter which guitar it was in.

I also have a T-top in the neck position that I will never swap.

Comment

Happy with these:

Gibson P-90's and 57's
                  Dimarzio Super distortion and PAF Pro

Comment

Humbucker-wise I mostly moved on to Boutique pickups with A2 and/or calibrated magnets. However, the Duncan Custom Shop is at the top there, too. The only thing I like as well is my WCR and to a lesser extend the Lollars.

The DiMarzio YJM and HS-3 I like and I don't think SD has an equivalent.

I really want to try the Lace Holy Grail Strat pickups. I don't like hum but I must have "real" sound vintage class Strat pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                      ...From Dimarzio, I have one guitar with a Breed neck, and I like it. But then it means I have to have a Dimarzio in the bridge or else it doesn't match visually...
                      It feels good to know I'm not the only one that thinks like that

Anyway, right now I have 5 guitars. 3 have Duncan humbuckers (although I'm going to try out a set of Vintage Vibe humbucker-sized P90's in one of those), 1 has Dimarzio noiseless soapbars (the bridge one was designed with Terry McInturff), and one has Suhr humbuckers. If I had to, I'd be satisfied with Duncans for most things, but it's nice to try other pickups out. I like Suhr humbuckers quite a bit. They have a different thing going on from Duncans that's nice, but I wouldn't say they're better, just different.

-Austin
                      "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

I've tried about 10 different models of Duncan and Dimarzio pickups each, and I have to say that I tend to like Dimarzios a little bit better, by and large. Both are great brands, though.

Comment

I have the Gibson '57 Classic Plus in one of my Les Pauls (bridge) and it rocks.
                          The Band:
                          www.myspace.com/hawkandroll

Comment

TV Jones

yeah i'm on a gretsch kick so I'm biased but seriously, those things have some mojo. Everyone should own at least one guitar with them, the dynamics and note separation on them are incredible, you can hear every note in a chord.

I have some GHS's goin into the jet I just got, people at the gretsch pages like em quite a bit so I figured I'd give them a try before springing for tv's, they were $80 for the pair & I could move them pretty easily if need be, but i'll be sure to let everyone know how i like em
                            Originally posted by gibson175
                            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I've got quite a stable of guitars, and many of the humbuckers are Seymours. But I also like Gibson's '57 Classics, and BurstBucker Pros in the right guitar.

For single coils, my favorite Strats and Teles all have pups by Chris Kinman.
                              "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

I love my dimarzio air norton set. its for me, awesome.

but I also dig my motherbucker set. its the air norton on steroids. man, those pickups with 1 meg ohm pots, thats (50%) of my tone. the other 50%, is the bareknuckle painkiller.

but the full 100%, is a special pickup I designed and tweaked with wizzard pickups, UK. with one capacitor, I can change the complete voicing of that pup. It can go with that pup (tonally) from the punchy, scorching, piercing sound of lets say, michael schenker and CC Deville, to the smooth tone of zakk wylde (he uses a LOT of gain to make it not-so smooth), slash, the darkness, etc etc. and that has nothing to do with output, just the voicing.

oh, and did I mention its almost .7 Volts of sheer output?

Comment

Working...
                                X