banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which SD PAF-type output pickup does high gain the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunner
    replied
    Re: Which SD PAF-type output pickup does high gain the best?

I was told, by the NZ Distributor, that if you want to order a covered bucker they will send the plain bucker to the store along with a seperate nickel cover which is up to the tech at the store to put onto it......this is what they had to do with my Jazz when I got it....so call your store and verify if they can get the cover seperately

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

Covered Seth necks don't squeal under gain, but the bridge will, when up real loud.
    You may try a Seth Bridge, then pot it lightly before installing it.

Leave a comment:

• theodie
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Benjy_26
    Not to my knowledge. I think this might be due to the fact that the Screamin' Demon has two rows of adjustable polepieces.
    The Full Shred is made in a covered version and it has two rows of pole pieces so, I would assume one may be able to get the Demon with a cover.

Leave a comment:

• Inge Malmstein
    replied

Got the same problem with my Explorer -
    i have a Jazz at the neck position and it let through the highs, which the 59'Neck cuts.
    At the Bridge i tried a 59B which has a fat, wide open, round tone. Other pickups with higher output seem to limit the tone range.
    I still want a bit more output and so i'm stuck between the '59B and the Demon - the demon has a bit more output, but is a bit thinner than the 59B.
    Maybe a A-II pro Bridge is it? I tried the neck version at the bridge and the tone was rounder and fatter than the 59.

Leave a comment:

• Zerberus
    replied

Jazz

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

Originally posted by chumbucket
    Are the Screamin Demons available with a nickel cover or not? That's probably right in the ballpark of what I need for a bridge pickup.

Not to my knowledge. I think this might be due to the fact that the Screamin' Demon has two rows of adjustable polepieces.

Leave a comment:

• chumbucket
    replied

Are the Screamin Demons available with a nickel cover or not? That's probably right in the ballpark of what I need for a bridge pickup.

Leave a comment:

• jpage
    replied

Get your distortion from your amp. '59 (classic), PG (bright) or Demons (low end) and season to taste.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

TO answer your first question: I like mids at the bridge position. Mids make the sound fatter to my ear. I've used Seth's with gain and volume in a semi-hollowbody and didn't run into any issues with uncontrollable feedback. Just use common sense and you'll be ok. The 59 does not turn into a Seth when you swap magnets. It's very nice, but not quite a Seth.

Leave a comment:

• chumbucket
    replied

I've had a JB before in another guitar and I don't think I'll ever play one again. I was leaning towards the PGn and the 59b. I'm wondering if the normally bassy/scooped 59 would have a more balanced tone just due to the bridge position naturally being brighter and having more mids? Has anybody successfully used Seths in a high gain-high volume situation? If you put an A2 into a '59 do you essentially have a potted Seth?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied

I personally think the APH's will do what you want. They are very balanced and retain amazing clarity, even under all of the gain that my modded JCM 800 can throw at them. They are by far my favorite "PAF" clone type pup. I've tried all of the lower output Duncan pups with the exception of the Antiquities. The Seths are great pups as well, and I had no microphonic issues with it in the neck, but the APH's just have that extra smoothness and sweetness.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

It does have an upper mid peak, but it's not as pronounced as the JB. When I had the JB in my LP, it felt like I had to play 80's style rock with it.

not bad, but I like the PG a bunch more. You will notice a drop in output, but that's part of the territory, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• SemperRhythm
    replied

I've had this question also. I love the JB but at times it seems a little too compressed. I like the Custom but it sounds a little flat at times in OD.

Benjy... is the Pearly Gates similarly EQ'd to the JB (upper mid peak) and much more open or is there a BIG difference? Listening to the sound clips the PG definitely has some thickness to it's tone, which I really like.

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

If you don't like a compressed sounding bridge pickup, stay away from the JB. Far away. I had the same problem with my LP when I had a 59/JB combo in it. I installed a Pearly Gates set in mine and I love it. It does everything well, while being open sounding and clean at the neck.

Leave a comment:

• Creepydeth2000
    replied

Have you thought about a JB?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X