Rio Grande Texas & BBQ reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Grande Texas & BBQ reviews

I recently acquired a Texas/BBQ set and installed them several ways. I really like these pickups so I thought I would post a review. First they went into my Ibanez Prestige RG3550, then into a strat, then into the bridge of two strats.

They're pretty hot, or hotter than I was expecting. I was expecting more of a vintage output PAF type but they have a fair amount of output. I would equate them to a JB/59.

One of my identical strats has a Pearly Gates bridge/N3 neck. One has a Texas bridge/N3 neck. The other has a BBQ bridge/Injector neck.

In my Ibanez they were perfect. I like the BBQ bucker as much or a little more than the Tone Zone. The Air Norton is still my favorite neck humbucker, but the Texas is an awesome pickup. It's a bit bassy in the way that a 59 is bassy. Many people will love it, but some will think it's too bassy.

I decided to break the set apart into the bridge position of two strats. The Texas makes a better bridge pickup. It has just a pinch more output than the Pearly Gates. It's got a lot of bass like a 59, but more low mids. The treble is very nice and it cuts through better than my Pearly Gates. I lowered the pole pieces to make it more comparable to a Pearly Gates and in some ways it's similar.

The BBQ is in the bridge of another strat. It's pretty hot like a JB or Tone Zone. At first I thought it might be too dark as I prefer kind of a bright pickup, but it is perfect. It is like a JB but without the heavy high mid spike, fairly close to it though, and a pinch more tighter bass

Both pickups react immediately to your touch and that's great. They're not loose or muddy at all. They're crisp, warm and scream as much as you want them to. I have played them clean with some of the finest Fender cleans imagineable.

In two different types of guitars, these pickup rock. I can imagine that they would be incredible in a Les Paul. I haven't tried it in my Les Paul but the sound samples I have heard are awesome.

The owner of the compay is pretty cool too. I called him a couple of times with questions and he was very helpful. Unfortunately they don't do any custom work or rewinds of any kind. I would love to have a tweaked Texas.

I pondered trying an A2 magnet in the Texas and BBQ, so I'm going to order a couple of them and experiment with them. More info to come.

Re: Rio Grande Texas & BBQ reviews

good review! Ive used a BBQ and really like them! I have one in my Michael Kelly Patriot Custom. Since the guitar is direct mount, they made me a flat plate one (no legs) and it is such a keeper in that axe. I used it in my RG570 and an lp too. great in all apps.. Ive heard they can get dark in some LPs, but the M Kelly is typical LP construction. Never tried any of their other pups, but hear good things.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

being of huge fan and user of the PGb and the JB i think i would like these!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        good review! Ive used a BBQ and really like them! I have one in my Michael Kelly Patriot Custom. Since the guitar is direct mount, they made me a flat plate one (no legs) and it is such a keeper in that axe. I used it in my RG570 and an lp too. great in all apps.. Ive heard they can get dark in some LPs, but the M Kelly is typical LP construction. Never tried any of their other pups, but hear good things.
        I never played a Michael Kelly but I've seen that name around a lot. It piques my interest.

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
        being of huge fan and user of the PGb and the JB i think i would like these!
        Definitely. I believe now that I always want to have a PG and JB in my collection as much as a Dimarzio AT-1 and Air Norton.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
          I never played a Michael Kelly but I've seen that name around a lot. It piques my interest.

Definitely. I believe now that I always want to have a PG and JB in my collection as much as a Dimarzio AT-1 and Air Norton.
          the AT-1 is another i have to try! that is getting the best reviews of any new dimarzio i have read

Comment

Its not a giant slayer, but they make an amazing guitar for the money! The Patriot Custom has mahog body and neck, flame maple top. (flame veneer over an actual maple cap tho! ebony board, abalone inlays, Grover keys, graphtec nut, Tone pros bridge and tail piece, great fret work, comfy neck, Rockfield pups stock (not too bad actually). Sustains great, plays great. And the thing that impressed me most was the wiring in the cavity was all bundled up nice and tidy with a zip tie. (amazing attention to detail for a "bargain" brand) All for under 5 bills.
            I have my neck pup reversed and get the vocal out of phase tone in the
            middle position.. im so impressed with it that Ive thought about keeping it and selling all others.. Not saying its better than all my others, but its good enough to be all Id need. With the BBQ in it, my family all prefer it in a blind tone test to most of my other guitars too.. Try one if you can.. may not be your thing, but they make a good guitar. Id be willing to bet they are built by the same folks that build the nice Import BC richs and probably schecters.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I like a bright side pup myself. How dark is the BBQ? Like a Super distortion?

Comment

BBQ is my favorite bridge pickup out of the 10 or so I have tried. I have yet to try the Texas. I'm sure I would like it as well. I like the Buffalo in the neck quite abit. Consider me a Rio fan.
                Carvin CS4 PG-n A4, BBQ-b
                Ibanez AS103NTcustom /Super58's n&b
                G&L ASAT Classic
                G&L ASAT Deluxe carved top undecided

Comment

I've had the TX/BBQ combo in a few guitars and I generally think they sound a bit "congested". Also, they pot the hell out of them, so they sound even worse with covers on. However, that was in LP-esque guitars. I had a set in a korina LP-esque guitar and they sounded good, but then that guitar was brighter. I couple weeks ago I put a set in a setneck 25.5" scale guitar that originally came with a Seth Lover/JB combo and they sound very good, much better than the original set of pickups. The BBQ bridge is just perfect. The Texas is very thick, but not dull or muddy. Also, the Texas in particular splits incredibly well; as well as an 8K Unbucker I have in the neck of another guitar. Again, this guitar is pretty bright and lively acoustically, so this just confirms for me that the set works best in brighter guitars.
                  -
                  Austin
                  Last edited by austin; 05-19-2011, 04:26 AM.
                  "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

It's not a dark pickup. It's a midrange oriented pickup with a smooth, bright edge to it. If I had to choose a comparable pickup then maybe an EVH Wolfgang. The Super Distortion is darker and shifted towards the lows and low mids than the BBQ.

Perhaps in certain guitars it sounds darker, but I have had it in 2 different guitars and it has been perfect.

One of the great things about Rio Grande pickups is how they immediately respond to your touch. They're not saggy like a Mo Joe or EVH Wolfgang, and they're not stiff like a hot ceramic pickup either.

In a nutshell, the BBQ has some midrange qualities of the JB, harmonics of a Dimarzio Fred, and warmth of an EVH Wolfgang.

Comment

I agree. I have used the BBQ as my go-to bridge pickup for years. In a Les Paul it is great but have to be careful as it can be too bassy in a Les Paul, depending on the amp. I ended up trying them in my PRS CE-22. I think I prefer them over the PRS Dragons. The Dragons are great but I prefer the BBQ/Texas for the chewier tone over the ceramic Dragon bridge. I also like the fact that the BBQ bridge is not as hot so it seems more versatile and responds better than the Dragon bridge to the volume pot.

Another great pickup is the Duncan CC in this guitar, but the Rio is my go-to!

Comment

It's not a dark pickup. It's a midrange oriented pickup with a smooth, bright edge to it...Perhaps in certain guitars it sounds darker, but I have had it in 2 different guitars and it has been perfect.

In a nutshell, the BBQ has some midrange qualities of the JB, harmonics of a Dimarzio Fred, and warmth of an EVH Wolfgang.
                        I use 250K pots or 470K resistors on all my bridge PU's except Rios, they're just right with 500K pots. Yes, they are a warm PU, but that's a good thing. I think they're probably at their best in a brighter-sounding guitar. I have a set in an SG, which I think works better than in an LP.

They're 12.5K & 9K so they're both relatively hot, but the bridge is not as hot as a JB or Custom. The tones are great with the stock mags. Excellent PU's.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Rio's sound like great pups, but do they sound so much better than a Duncan to make them worth nearly twice as much?
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            Rio's sound like great pups, but do they sound so much better than a Duncan to make them worth nearly twice as much?
                            I picked mine up used. Keep your eye out for a deal.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pickups/rio.php
                              $96.00 not that much more
                              Last edited by lowenzz; 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM.
                              Carvin CS4 PG-n A4, BBQ-b
                              Ibanez AS103NTcustom /Super58's n&b
                              G&L ASAT Classic
                              G&L ASAT Deluxe carved top undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X