Rio Grande Texas & BBQ reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rio Grande Texas & BBQ reviews

I like the BBQ a lot in the bridge, one of my top 5 favorite bridge tones was with a Hamer Special FM with the BBQ bridge. Really made a thick, sizzling tone that is unlike any other mass produced pickup. It just has its own thing going. Output-wise, it was a little less than the stock JB, but the balanced EQ gave the illusion of higher output, if that makes sense. There just wasn't a pronounced mid-boost like the JB had.

I also had a DiMarzio Air Zone in that guitar. The Air Zone had similar output, put the emphasis was in the lower miss and resulted in a more "nasal' kind of honky tone. I like it, but the BBQ was a little nicer. The Air Zone I've kept in my Warmoth tele for about 8 years now, soon to be replaced by my new Brobucker.
    Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

My Gibsonsall have HB-L and HB-R pickups and Burstbucker Pros, love those! My PRS CE-22 has the Dragons which are dark but I am thinking of installing a zebra set of Rio BBQ/Texas since they are such amazing pickups and clean up better than my Dragon bridge and also they split well!

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
        Odd response sorry but i have to wonder if 10 minutes was enough to evaluate it. Not everything is plug and play you have to change you amp around and what not. But hey its all good if you dont like it you dont like it thats why so many different pickups are made.
        I was actually exaggerating it was in the guitar for a night at band rehearsal but i had to switch charvels after a few tunes, my band said they clarity was not there like it was with the duncan custom or JB in it.
        So im my world it failed at the most important test playing with a live band

Comment

BBQ is one of the best pickups ever.

Comment

yeah... i cant agree with that

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              yeah... i cant agree with that
              Personal taste....but to me I have yet to find a bigger, more full, balanced and ballsy pickup on the planet!

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
                Personal taste....but to me I have yet to find a bigger, more full, balanced and ballsy pickup on the planet!
                hey thats great then! you should be very happy. it is amazing when a pup clicks with you, i had a similar experience recently and found my most ballsy,clearest,balanced,full pup on the planet!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                  hey thats great then! you should be very happy. it is amazing when a pup clicks with you, i had a similar experience recently and found my most ballsy,clearest,balanced,full pup on the planet!
                  What is it?

Comment

One really neat thing about the Rio BBQ is they are so thick, and yet retain good sparkle and are very gutsy and huge sounding. I have yet to find a pickup that sounds as big ans gutsy!

Comment

Do these pickups have long or short legs? Anybody know how the bridge spacing works with a PRS? I'm considering perhaps putting a BBQ in the bridge of a Custom 24.

Comment

I installed the BBQ and Texas with 500K pots into my LP and love it. I now can make full use of my amp's treble and presence which I love. Never before have I been able to use the amp's controls as well as with Rios. I wish the Texas was less Bassy. Terrible with gain so I may try the Rio Grande Buffalo bucker.
                        Also, the Texas is great as a bridge bucker! I want a Texas Buffalo set in my next LP.
                        I have always felt the BBQ was the best pickup for an LP, for my taste.
                        Last edited by papersoul; 03-02-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I have a BBQ in my Michael kelly patriot Custom which is essentially a LP style build and its great! Never tried any of thier other pups..
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I really like the BBQ set. I have them in an SG, so the bassy neck isn't a problem. I use 500K's with mine, as the bridge is plenty warm on it's own.
                            Last edited by blueman335; 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I brought my LP Standard with newly installed Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set to rehearsal over the weekend. Everyone loved the tone I was getting more than ever before!

Comment

The Texas works better in the bridge. The Buffalo is the better neck pickup.

Comment

Working...
                                X