Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Duncan Custom SH-5 Special Van halen pickup

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
    "Ed must be laughing his ass off if he is reading all this stuff. You should hear him play through his line 6! Also how many of you play with a thin pick?
    Damn I wish I had a good digital camera back then." --John Suhr

Excellent quote. Too bad the "its in the hands theory" seems to have been long dismissed by Pitbull.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm pretty sure Ed does think it's funny and I doubt he would be reading this.

Ed has his style that can go to any guitar even an Acoustic.

Some dudes might be obsessed with Ed's sound on a certain album but Ed's style never really changes from album to album.

If Ed played a ceramic pickup on VH1 and a PAF on VH2 and some dudes prefer Ed's style with a ceramic pickup then that's their call.

Ed, like loads of guitarists has used a lot of different gear over the years and guess what he still plays like Ed on all of the gear.

If someone has a style that is boring then it doesn't matter what gear they use, they are still boring.
      A JB, a SD, a 59, a original PAF, a Plexi, a Echoplex, a Phase, a Tubescreamer, a Treble Booster, a latest tone thing will all sound boring if the player is boring.

The best thing to do in music is to try not to be boring to other people, like the audience.

Trying to be a Ed clone is boring.
      Learning things from Ed or other players is different if someone uses it for their own playing style which hopefully won't turn out boring.

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
        "Ed must be laughing his ass off if he is reading all this stuff. You should hear him play through his line 6! Also how many of you play with a thin pick?
        Damn I wish I had a good digital camera back then." --John Suhr
        yeah i seen a pic of him with a combo. i am sure he smokes on it!
        and ed didnt use a thin pick back in 77-80 he started that much later.

Comment

Originally posted by WhooHoo View Post
          I'm pretty sure Ed does think it's funny and I doubt he would be reading this.
          Well, considering the official Van Halen site has not been updated since New Years of 2010 (Dec. 29th 2009 to be exact), I'm guessing Eddie isn't much of a "forumz guy".

Comment

Apparently he still uses Line 6's. Although he should check out the Fender Mustang. Being a "Fender Endorser" now, maybe they should make an EVH version with his personal presets on it. You know, "This is what I use... while I'm warming up".

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              Excellent quote. Too bad the "its in the hands theory" seems to have been long dismissed by Pitbull.

It may be "All in the Hands"..but that Granger amp sure get you close enough for the girls I go with!!!
              Last edited by jimo; 06-29-2011, 02:42 PM.
              EVH's Frankenstein was a factory second junker put together by a drunk teenager and it's one of the most sought after guitar tones ever...Ian Ballard

playing an electric guitar unplugged to determine how it will sound is like sitting in a car, with the engine off, to determine how fast it is.

Ron Kirn

Comment

I seen a charvel order invoice and the guy who was ordering a EVH charvel(black and yellow striped) copy wanted it to have a duncan Van Halen custom model in it. this was dated 1979. i think this is the pu that became the sh5 custom. seymour just dropped the Van Halen part of it's name.

Comment

Originally posted by savage
                  Ed hunter I agree the duncan custom sh5 was the special van halen pickup.
                  thanks,i have NO PROOF of course but the timeline and specs make sense.
                  it has the same basic spec's as the pu eddie was using in the charvel on the first album.

Comment

Originally posted by savage
                    Ed hunter I agree the duncan custom sh5 was the special van halen pickup.
                    Hello Nitro/Pitbull, it's nice to see you around again. We really missed you.
                    Originally posted by jcthejester13
                    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Eddie knows what he used. He has become a professional liar

Comment

Originally posted by Barron1 View Post
                        Ed doesnt owe it to people to tell them every exact detail of what he did cause it didnt matter. If he himself thought it was the be all end all of guitar tone why did he himself change it. I doubt highly that hes really trying to decieve people I just think to him it doesnt matter so much so he doesnt really care.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Jeeez, I barely remember all the **** I've done to my guitar in only a couple years.

Comment

Is Ed supposed to keep a gear diary dating back to 1976?

Give Ed a break.

Ed changed gear a lot in the early years and to remember exactly what he used in what week with all of the gear changes and drinking etc, well.

Some of Ed's interviews can be a bit vague and skip over details but so what, they are only rock interviews and not an inventory of gear used when and why.

Ed was just trying to get the job done at clubs and happened to record VH1 in between playing club dates and experimenting with gear changes.
                            Ed wasn't perfecting a VH1 tone to use for his whole life otherwise he would be using it now.
                            Last edited by WhooHoo; 07-10-2011, 02:41 AM.

Comment

What does the "SH" stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroCool View Post
                                What does the "SH" stand for?
                                Seymour humbucker

Comment

Working...
                                X