Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
    the difference is there. the alt8/custom is thicker, more articulated. sweeter in the high end but with the same liquid 'feel' when soloing. But in stead of the boost in the upper mids, it's more in the mids. I prefer the FS in stead of the custom due to the hex polepieces; gives me a tighter, cleaner tone with much, much better harmonics. the harmonics are off the charts.
    By different I specifically meant between the coils' balance, not in output or tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
      So your saying the wind is the same? That the type of wire has more resistance?
      a wind can change from another wind without being more powerful or hotter or whatever. it can differ in terms of emphasizing a different kind of tone or spectrum. I can't tell you if the wire has a higher resistance per foot than the wire used on the JB. Can't. Won't. you decide

@falloffthebones: there is a difference which is subtle but clearly audible. the imbalance between the jb/custom versus alt8/custom is clearly attributable to the differences in the alt8 coil, so there is a difference in the imbalance.

Do I make any sense to you? I'm having a hard time describing what I mean without telling too much...

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        a wind can change from another wind without being more powerful or hotter or whatever. it can differ in terms of emphasizing a different kind of tone or spectrum. I can't tell you if the wire has a higher resistance per foot than the wire used on the JB. Can't. Won't. you decide

@falloffthebones: there is a difference which is subtle but clearly audible. the imbalance between the jb/custom versus alt8/custom is clearly attributable to the differences in the alt8 coil, so there is a difference in the imbalance.

Do I make any sense to you? I'm having a hard time describing what I mean without telling too much...
        Right, it is subtle, that was my point. I did expect an audible differerence. We're on the same page.

Comment

Late to the party but last week I put two 59/Custom hybrids together from a 59 and a Custom. I used the 59 screw coil and the Custom slug coil with the 59 magnet and used an A4 with the Custom screw coil and the 59 slug coil. Both pickups went into Les Pauls.

What can I say - these pickups have the low output DNA but with much more power in the low end. They are clearly not shy of midrange - power chords on the D and G strings sound really fat. Top end is clear and very bright - I brought the brightness down by putting resistors in parallel to the volume pot (1.5 meg and 2.2 meg in parallel with a 500k pot) - the hybrids respond very well to that. In both Les Pauls they gave me the bridge tone I always wanted but could not get with other pickups. The PAF clones were mostly too thin in the bridge spot, the overwound PAF clones not clear enough and in some cases still thin, and the high output stuff was not what I really wanted from a LP.

Many thanks to BachToRock for bringing this up. Now it's on to neck hybrid pickups. I got a 7k and a 8k PAF clone which are just waiting to become 7.5k neck hybrids ...

Comment

Just a small update because the question has been asked several times.

It really does make a difference which coil sits where. If the coil from the Custom is closer to the neck the tone is noticeably fatter, whereas if the coil from the Custom is closer to the bridge the overall tone is brighter. I got this result from flipping the pickup which had the Custom screw coil so that this coil now faces the neck.

Comment

Bach2Rock's thread is 8 years new— amazing.

I just converted to hybrids yesterday, and put the jazz/59n I made in an es175. I'd always wondered why the jazz neck pu sounded so thin and trebly compared to the '59 bridge. Now that noise is gone and what's left is… ❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎❤︎❤︎ ❤︎!!

Thank you for the article you wrote with the pictures, orpheo.

Gee, I wonder what I should do with the bridge pu?!!
              Last edited by deci belle; 01-04-2015, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Further update: I now made two hybrids out of a 7k and an 8k PAF style humbucker. I kept the magnets (the one with the hotter screw coil has an A4 while the other has an A2). I have only installed the one with the A4 magnet right now in the neck spot of a Les Paul (which has a 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge spot). It replaced a 7.2k A4 PAF style humbucker which was very good to begin with. The A4 neck hybrid is noticeably higher output and fatter in the midrange while retaining lots of edge. It is quite tight in the low end for a full size humbucker although not quite as tight as I had hoped for. But the overall tone especially for leads is so good that I can live with the slightly loose low end for now. Anyway - playing that hybridized Les Paul is more fun than it ever has been - highly recommended.

Comment

Any one here interested in helping me build a a couple of hybrids? For payment of course.

Comment

Duncan REALLY needs to market the 59/Jazz Neck Hybrid... it's pretty much the perfect neck humbucker with A2/3/5 for fine tuning. The JB and/or Duncan Distortion/Custom Hybrid is an interesting beast as it sounds great with Alnico or Ceramic magnets... a lot of flavors available from the premiere pickup company... find YOUR tone!
                    GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

^it really is an awesome pickup, and a perfect match to be 59/c hybrid! Really want to try a jb/custom too! Hybrids just have some extra magic that matched coil humbuckers don't have.

Side note: what's Happened to the pictures in the original post?!
                      our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                      'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                      And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock View Post
                        Duncan REALLY needs to market the 59/Jazz Neck Hybrid... it's pretty much the perfect neck humbucker with A2/3/5 for fine tuning. !
                        I have long championed this. I've seen all the tone scientists here struggling to design a neck pickup when the perfect one exists already. My exhortations are always met by stone silence. Obviously most people haven't even heard the 59/Jazz, but it's ridiculous to be trying to design a neck pickup before hearing the 59/J.
                        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

*** rumors of squeaky cogs turning inside my head ***

*** image of a lightbulb lightning up ***

Stay tuned, folks!
                          Last edited by LtKojak; 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                            I have long championed this. I've seen all the tone scientists here struggling to design a neck pickup when the perfect one exists already. My exhortations are always met by stone silence. Obviously most people haven't even heard the 59/Jazz, but it's ridiculous to be trying to design a neck pickup before hearing the 59/J.

Is this with two neck or bridge coils? In the neck hybrids I've made, pairing a 'vintage output' bridge and neck coil (like a '59B + '59N, SethB + '59N, etc.) make the best neck hybrids. With about a .4K difference in resistance between coils, the top end opens up & the mids and lows back off a little.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

With neck coils... I believe the combo of Poly and Plain Enamel coils also adds some special harmonic juice...
                              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

BachToRock,are you getting your commision/royalty checks?
                                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                                X