Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Man, has this thread gotten off the point!
    And your point is?
    Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
      I'm probably the biggest Van Halen head on this forum, and I've never tried to get his tone.
      hmm... OMG.. I need to start drinking then.. I REALLY thought I heard VH tone and riffs in those Blackstar vids you recorded. mind must be going bad..

As for me, I love how he adds all the neat little fills and stuff. Neil Gerardo is also a fav of mine for that.
      what I love about ed's tone is that it was it sounded so thick and chewy (unchained intro for example) but you could also hear all the little clucks and fill things he did
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
        And your point is?
        Read the title of the thread.

It's about his tone. Not about his playing style or ability, not about anyone else's ability to play Eruption, etc. It's just about why so many people have an obsession about duplicating his tone.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's about his tone. Not about his playing style or ability, not about anyone else's ability to play Eruption, etc. It's just about why so many people have an obsession about duplicating his tone.
          so many are obesessed coping his old tone simply because it was great to them! they hear something that they want to mimic as close as possible,maybe hoping to play like him too?

Comment

I was being sort of cheeky... but since you took my sentence at face value and assume that I am a dumbass, I'll raise you one.

Tone comes from HOW you play the guitar, not from some magic box.

So, when talking about a guitar player's tone... the manner in which they play their instrument is absolutely relevant.

Eddie's tone is in his hands.

Don't accuse ME of hijacking this thread or straying it off of it's supposed course.

Every argument I made in this thread is logical and thoughtful.

Just 'cause I only have 150 posts doesn't mean that I don't know what I am talking about. There is no correlation between time spent here and intelligence.
            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

There is no correlation between time spent here and intelligence.
              Very true, in fact there are those that would say that there is an inverse relationship.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Very true, in fact there are those that would say that there is an inverse relationship.
                Lol!

Don't get me wrong... I love reading you and Guitardoc's posts. You guys type some awesome stuff and I am actually a fan of y'all's posts and ideas.

I play VH licks pretty well, I can more or less cop his tone, so I just mistakenly thought that my knowledge would be welcome in this thread.

Instead, I got bullying from the upperclassmen. Not cool. I'll toe to toe with you any day. Bring it if that's what you're into.

If not, then give me some respect.

Comment

If not, then give me some respect.
                  Everyone should be treated with respect here, regardless of how much they know or how well they play.
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Everyone should be treated with respect here, regardless of how much they know or how well they play.
                    +1

It's always amazing to me how people can "tell" if someone is a good player or not only by reading their posts.
                    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                      It's always amazing to me how people can "tell" if someone is a good player or not only by reading their posts.
                      It takes a certain skill which only a few possess.

Comment

I suppose you say that with a bit of tongue-in-cheek?

Comment

It's alright... my grandpa doesn't care for EVH's tone either.

He too does not see the point.

Comment

I was being sort of cheeky... but since you took my sentence at face value and assume that I am a dumbass, I'll raise you one.

Tone comes from HOW you play the guitar, not from some magic box.

So, when talking about a guitar player's tone... the manner in which they play their instrument is absolutely relevant.

Eddie's tone is in his hands.

Don't accuse ME of hijacking this thread or straying it off of it's supposed course.

Every argument I made in this thread is logical and thoughtful.

Just 'cause I only have 150 posts doesn't mean that I don't know what I am talking about. There is no correlation between time spent here and intelligence.
                            I mostly agree with what you said, and I never accused you personally of hijacking or getting away from the point of this thread. I only made that comment because people are getting off on bashing others because they assume they can't play eruption as good as EVH, or that EVH himself can't play as good as he used to. This thread has nothing to do with that.

I certainly realize that a person's playing technique has a lot to do with his tone, but it's not the only thing...the equipment also has something to do with it. However, IMO, there is not just one equipment setup that can achieve a particular tone. If that were absolutely true, there wouldn't be so many stomps available to help players duplicate specific tones (you may say that the stomps DON'T accurately duplicate specific tones, but it also depends on the rest of the equipment involved).

Bottom line...I'm not trying to refute anything that anyone has said (everyone has a right to their opinions. In fact that was the whole point of this thread...to get opinions why there is such an obsession with "the EVH tone") , I'm just annoyed at all the personal bashing and attack that's been going on lately in this and several other threads. I don't think there's much point or need for that.

I understand that when people are passionate about something their judgement can be clouded, but we don't need to be so immature about expressing our differences. I'm probably as guilty as anyone with this, but it doesn't mean I like it. And I appologize to anyone whom I have offended. I'm just a semi-senile old man.

Comment

It's alright... my grandpa doesn't care for EVH's tone either.

He too does not see the point.
                              No disrespect, but I didn't just recently get my first exposure to EVH, I was playing in rock bands when he started. I didn't like his tone even back then.

Comment

Ear wax build up; time to get out the Q-tips again, and maybe the pressure washer.

Comment

Working...
                                X