I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

I found that most tones from his era were lacking somewhere in the tonal spectrum. Too bright, too middy/honky, etc. He really shored up the EQ and produced tones that were more 'full range' for the time. His ability to excite a Marshall unlike anybody since Hendrix deserves notice, since EVERYBODY used Marshalls except for Brian May, Ted Nugent and a few others. He took junk guitars, plugged them into old, used Marshalls and changed the way most viewed playing guitar at that time. Some even gave up and retired after he came on. Others tried to copy him.

String gauge? Gimme a break. Using fat strings on a guitar is like swinging at a pitch with three bats. The ability to hit a ball with three bats doesn't make you a superior baseball player... neither does using huge strings. As mentioned, plenty of guitar giants used and still use light gauge strings and get the fattest tones around. EVH's hand strength is legendary. That things that he pulled off on nylon stinged guitars or whatever, required extreme finger dexterity and strength. On the other hand, he chose not to "fight" the guitar but for it to do exactly what he wanted it to do, crazy sting bends or whatever. The string gauge folks who think bigger strings mean "bigger tones" are lacking "somewhere else"... if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by IanBallard; 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
      While you dudes go on and on about how much he sucks and is overrated and has no tone he will be touring the world again for the 30th time, selling products from his EVH corporation,enjoy staring at the 60 best guitarist awards he has won over the years,have a great time in his own personal full pro multimillion dollar studio,have sex with model/wife janie,be able to buy ANYTHING he wants ANYTIME he wants, yeah you guys are right he does suck!
      The sex with his wife Janie isn't tempting by the way. I saw the woman's picture and she is old and not very attractive.

Comment

Oh, yeah... On the string gauge thing... I'm pretty sure that Les Paul himself used 9s. Seriously. Les Paul. I've never seen anybody complain about him.
        Nope...

Comment

While you dudes go on and on about how much he sucks and is overrated and has no tone he will be touring the world again for the 30th time, selling products from his EVH corporation,enjoy staring at the 60 best guitarist awards he has won over the years,have a great time in his own personal full pro multimillion dollar studio,have sex with model/wife janie,be able to buy ANYTHING he wants ANYTIME he wants, yeah you guys are right he does suck!
          NOBODY said he wasn't popular. NOBODY said he didn't have a large fan base...in fact this thread IS about how large his fan base is and why his tone IS so popular.

But remember that popularity may have nothing to do with talent. It's kinda like the stock market...value of stock is related to the public's PERCEPTION of how good the company is and NOT how good the company ACTUALLY is.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

That doesnt really work as an argument and is actually a fairly well known logical fallacy (the argument from popularity fallacy) Popularity does not make one great. If that were the case, and in order to be intellectually honest, you would also have to support Backstreet Boys when I say "BSB sucks"

Having said that, I like Van Halen quite a bit.
            Last edited by Archer_of_Fish; 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM.
            Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

I'm really having mixed thoughts on this thread. On the one hand, I want it to go the way of David Carradine, and on the other hand I want to post how ridiculous it has become. Oh, well, it's on the first page anyway, so I might as well point out that no one's mind is going to be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                I'm really having mixed thoughts on this thread. On the one hand, I want it to go the way of David Carradine, and on the other hand I want to post how ridiculous it has become. Oh, well, it's on the first page anyway, so I might as well point out that no one's mind is going to be changed.
                My point of it being difficult to judge his playing if you can't cop his licks still stands.

If one has never been able to play his riffs properly, they surely cannot understand the complexity contained within those said riffs.

Obviously, if you have the chops to play Van Halen licks properly and just never have because you have chosen not to, then you clearly understand and just don't dig it. - kind of a rare and hypothetical case, but I'd buy it I guess.

The thread asked a legitimate question and got a variety of responses, I thought it was sort of thought provoking, even though like you said, most of the minds were already closed.
                Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Well I'm old but his tone was what I liked the most about EVH. Can't stand the songs. The first time I heard him it was amazing- I mean the tone. I think he lost the tone by the late 80s though. Maybe his tone isn't translating on todays media? I havn't heard in on an I pod. Maybe you need to hear it on analog technology and live music loud?

Comment

I didn't Read all 8 pages of this so forgive me if this has been said Before, I'm 40 and grew up at the tail End of the VH FREAK OUT.... I liked VH but was never a FANBOY, I mean who cares if I can play ERUPTION everyone can....... I saw the Balance Tour in St. Louis and I have to tell you The Tone ppl Rave about has never been recorded.... I was so amazed at the live tone it sent shivers up my spine, my X wife even commented on how completely encompassing the guitar tone was It's deeper ,Fuller,Richer than anything on Record or CD. VH is an Experience and until you are THERE in person you can't understand it, or atleast that's how it was for Me.

Comment

Originally posted by LuredMaul View Post
                      I liked VH but was never a FANBOY, I mean who cares if I can play ERUPTION everyone can
                      Not very in touch with reality... an incredibly small percentage of rock guitarists are able to play Eruption properly. Anyone can make it sound muddy and flub their way through the tapping part, but there are very few people who can lay it down without substituting or taking short cuts.

I'd be very interested in seeing you play it... what are the chances of that?
                      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                        Not very in touch with reality... an incredibly small percentage of rock guitarists are able to play Eruption properly. Anyone can make it sound muddy and flub their way through the tapping part, but there are very few people who can lay it down without substituting or taking short cuts.

What are the chances of any of the haters in this thread being able to compose/play anything remotely as interesting or timeless?

Comment

an incredibly small percentage of rock guitarists are able to play Eruption properly.
                          I heard an interveiw on sat radio with Sammy, that sadly niether can Ed anymore. This was the beef between them; Ed wanted to play things way different from the same way all the time and Sammy said it was getting to the point that you couldnt recognize the songs anymore. Sammy said it was the by product of alcholism and getting old, but mostly the drink. If chops are at such a high level when your 25 its got to be hard to keep that level at 60. Joe Montana was great in the 80's but he doesn't play pro ball anymore.

Eric and Jeff can still play at a high level but it was never based heavilly on physical chops.

I understand Ed not wanting play it the same either. He wants to evolve and grow as as an artist. The songs always were mainly vehicles to highlight Ed's & Alex's instrument playing anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                            I heard an interveiw on sat radio with Sammy, that sadly niether can Ed anymore. This was the beef between them; Ed wanted to play things way different from the same way all the time and Sammy said it was getting to the point that you couldnt recognize the songs anymore. Sammy said it was the by product of alcholism and getting old, but mostly the drink. If chops are at such a high level when your 25 its got to be hard to keep that level at 60. Joe Montana was great in the 80's but he doesn't play pro ball anymore.

Eric and Jeff can still play at a high level but it was never based heavilly on physical chops.

I understand Ed not wanting play it the same either. He wants to evolve and grow as as an artist. The songs always were mainly vehicles to highlight Ed's & Alex's instrument playing anyway.
                            Anything Spambot says is irrelevant, the dude is a professional VH-hater these days, all he DOES is talk smack about them since his 2-time stint as Dave's bench-warmer ended (thankfully). Seriously, I challenge anyone to find a recent interview where he doesn't cry about VH more than he promotes his current band.

Anyone who's seen them this tour knows Ed's playing is once again back up to par - I saw them at the "secret" Henson studios gig, Ed was 10 feet away, and melted my face.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post

No Chance in Hell actually as I purposefully never learned it based on my original statement. I don't care to know it; What would be the point? I don't play Covers of any type, I write originals. As For My Guitar Prowess.....I wrote This and Play guitar on it (15yrs old Though)
                              Turning My Back by Restless Gypzy: Listen to songs by Restless Gypzy on Myspace, a place where people come to connect, discover, and share.

Comment

Man, has this thread gotten off the point!
                                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X