X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Custom or Custom Custom??

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
    tell me more of this hybrid
    It's a Custom screw coil, JB slug coil with the ceramic magnet from the Custom. I tried the hybrid with an A5 and the JB screw/custom slug, but it was too JBish for me. Or rather for what I like to play. Sounded cool, just not what I need. I like it better this way. Retains most of the characteristics of the Custom with a hint of JB. I'd say i'ts 70-80% Custom and 20-30% JB. At least to my ears.

Maybe I'll just throw the big ceramic in the hybrid and see what happens =).
    Last edited by Jeff5; 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Report your findings please

Comment

Already got the pickup. i just need to find the solder to sold it. ahahahahah
        Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
        Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
        Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
        Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
        Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
        Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Look up Jolly's how to install a pickup w/out solder vid on youtube
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I Just installed the Duncan Custom and its AWESOMEEEEEEEE
            Im pretty happy with it.
            tight bass with that Hump on it but without being Muddy. crunchy Middles and pretty good highs.
            Q: )
            i RECOMMEND.
            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

Not much love for the Custom 5 from the sound of this thread. Personally I love the Custom 5. It all depends on your style and what guitar you have it in. I use my in an All Mahogany Guitar and it kills. Blues, Rock, Heavy Metal.

Comment

I've heard the Custom 5 in an SG or SG-type guitar is pretty killer.

That whole Alnico or Ceramic 8 thing really has me intrigued. I saw a video on YouTube of David Thomas McNaught demo-ing his Vintage Singlecut guitar. It had a Duncan Jazz in the neck and a WCS (wagner pups) Ceramic 8 pup in the bridge. Man, it sounded KILLER.

I'm not a big fan of the Custom myself. I seem to prefer Alnico over Ceramic (for the most part)...sounds more organic or less brittle to my ears. I guess that's why I prefer the JB over the Distortion. That said...that JB/Custom hybrid...I'd like to hear that

When you guys talk about A2 mags being "smooth". I can hear that, but how about the El Diablo? That's a high output A2 double bar humbucker used for metal/thrash applications. BTW...I don't see it offered by the Custom Shop anymore...??? I also see where Scott Ian (who developed the El Diablo) went back to the JB

Comment

I use both the Custom and Custom Custom. Custom Custom is definitely sweet, but that is not what you are looking for. I think good old Custom is exactly what you want. It is the only ceramic mag pickup I have ever gotten along with.

For the voice of the two pickups, think of the CC as Elvis and the Custom as Sammy Hagar.

I cannot speak about the Custom8, but it sounds (by what they say) fabulous.
                  Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

Hmm... not sure I agree, but the Hagar analogy would go towards explaining why I've yanked the ceramic out of both of the Customs I had in guitars in favor of A8s...

Nah, can't agree with it...I still like ceramic Customs...hahhaa

Comment

Ceramic 8 is not Alnico 8. When people talk about Custom 8 or Alternative 8 or Crazy 8, the magnet is an Alnico. I don't know the differences in Ceramic composition or numerology, but I do know those aren't the same thing.

Comment

Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

i had all 3 customs. and i preffer the CC and DC.
                          Q: p
                          Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                          Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

Im going to film a clip tomorrow.
                            Black. death. Thrash Riffs and then some soloing. I HOPE it ends up sounding good.
                            Q: )
                            Ill do 3 clips : with the charvel with duncans.
                            Ibanez with dimarzios and fender with bare knuckles.
                            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

I never did those clips. i just received my charvel from the tech a month ago. and i know received the strings. o ordered some LA BELLA HRS Sets. with the thicker core for drop and low tunnings. i liked it in my Ibanez 7 string S7320 but im yet to play them in 6īs . lets see.
                              so time is consuming me. and i didnt film anything till now. im hoping to do it as soon as possible.
                              Q: /
                              i got some ernie ball strings for my bass. ill take a day or two to string and set them all up.
                              Q: P
                              but i kinda disliked the ammount of BASS on my Duncan Custom. im using that old crate gx 15.
                              i think ill test in in a better and more powerful amp.
                              Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                              Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

I prefer the stock Custom, it's such a good pup for chugging thanks to the gut punching bass. The CC simply doesn't cut it for metal - it can be set up tight with the right amp but the bass always sounds spongy (not really a matter of tightness, more with how the natural tone sounds). The bandpass like EQ of the CC can be annoying as well. The CC is definitely the better sounding lead pickup, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X