Video of 10 Duncan pickups Excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of 10 Duncan pickups Excellent!

Re: Video of 10 Duncan pickups Excellent!

great to see something closer to an apples-to-apples comparison with in an application (hard rock) that I can relate to.

Comment

Bad ass! Loving the 59/custom Hybrid haha.
      AMPLIFIER: Diezel VH4 (2007 updated in 2011)
      CABINET: VHT 4x12 FB (Eminence P50Es)
      GUITAR: PRS Custom 24 (2012 with Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups)
      EFFECTS: G Major 2, EHX DMM (Older model)
      Tuner: Korg DTR-1

Comment

The Distortion still sounds just "right" to me. Granted, it looks like the guitar is a maple neck through Strictly 7; I like my Distortion in my maple neck through US BC Rich Warlock.

The Dimebucker sounded annoyingly harsh, but again, that's seated in maple. I have a Dimebucker in an all mohogany guitar and it sounds great.

The Custom and 59/Custom hybrid have tons of clarity; I am impressed!

I am still going back & forth between the Alternative 8 and the Full Shred for a bolt-on neck basswood guitar of mine. This comparison doesn't really make the decision though. I like the midrange saturation (though it is a bit different) of both pickups, along with the slight softness to the low end.

At the risk of being flamed, I still prefer the EMG-81 (X version or 18 volt mod) to any of the Duncan active line...

Comment

And for reference, I have watched the video at 1080 using my Bose Companion (original version) stereo speakers and my Logitech Extreme headset to get a couple of comparisons through different user-end speakers.

Comment

NICE. I've seen his Bare Knuckles vid and I love that riff.

The real meat and potatoes of that vid starts @11:28. My favorites are the Distortion, Alt 8, Dimebucker and Gus G. Fire Blackouts. Oh yeah.
            Last edited by TheLivingDead; 05-26-2012, 12:57 AM.

Comment

you haven't seen the thread posted by Scott?

Comment

Surprisingly, the Alt 8 doesn't do anything for me in that sample! Nothing about it shines or stands out, though it's certainly not the worst sounding pickup through his rig. The Full Shred is a great pickup, but it gets shown the door in this shootout.

Listening in HD through my Klipsch THX system, the pickups that sounded best to me in that video would be:

1) Distortion & Blackouts Original (tie)
                2) Gus G. Blackouts
                3) Custom & Custom/Hybrid (also a tie)

I was excited to see the Dimebucker in the lineup, but it sounded disgusting. No give, no color, totally harsh. Yet, I've seen it do everything in the right setup. Shows how equally important all the other things (besides pickups) are to your final sound!
                Last edited by Masta' C; 05-26-2012, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I think it was a fair comparison, as far as all things equal. But really, some pickups are made for maple, mohogany, rosewood, ebony, etc. pretty specifically.

Two of my favorite all time pickups are the Duncan Distortion and the Alnico II Pro. Both pickups seem to be great at letting the guitar itself shine through. Depending on the gain level, both always sound "true" to me, regardless of how bright or warm the guitar is.

Comment

Working...
                  X