Non-relic'ed Antiquity set by yours truly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-relic'ed Antiquity set by yours truly

I've just finished to install this heavy modded UOA5 Ant set and man, is this something or what...? It sounds completely and absolutely gorgeous!

The guitar is a MIK early '80 Tamaki 335 copy made at the Samick factory. I've paid next to nothing for it and it 's the liveliest guitar I own. Maple body, mahogany neck. Spot-on 500K CTS pots, Mojotone.com Vitamin Q PIO caps, Switchcraft toggle and jack.

The Ants have been modded to 4-conductor and short-legged baseplates, as the instrument can coil-split, producing a very interesting and usable sound, semihollow tele-like, just a little darker.

I took off the cover's relic'ing, plus I've changed the keeper bar, screws and slugs for new ones.

It's got a kind of masculine tone, commanding, assertive and detailed as no other set I've worked with in the past.

Plus, it took me five minutes flat to nail the "sweet spot"... fastest ever!

They produce a very different tone than the one I'm used to, I'd swear I can hear Larry Carlton's 335+Bludotone live tone, it makes me play differently, lead lines over changes, jazzy-fusion-boppy kinda style... something I don't play that often anyway.

Weird how tone can affect your playing, uh? Can you call it "inspiring"?

What I find it the weirdest, is that while feeling like a fish out water, by no means I feel lost at all... is hard to explain. Let's see how it goes after the honeymoon period.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-09-2012, 01:48 PM.

Re: Non-relic'ed Antiquity set by yours truly

I like that guitar and the clean ants very much.

Comment

Now you know we want to hear this now, don't you?
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Very Nice....
        sigpic
        Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
        JFG Flying V,
        "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
        John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
          Now you know we want to hear this now, don't you?
          If some of my pesky customers would pay me the long overdue amount, I think I'll manage to get setting up something for after the summer holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
            I like that guitar and the clean ants very much.
            Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
            Very Nice....
            Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              I took off the cover's relic'ing, plus I've changed the keeper bar, screws and slugs for new ones.
              Yeah, I'm quoting myself, sue me!

I'd like to add that to the mod done I've also cut the polepiece screws so they're flush with the baseplate, so the magnetic circuit is complete in the way that Seth Lover envisioned, and now the magnetic field is right where he thought it should belong.

The new magnetic circuit is going to take about a week to fully permeate the parts and stabilize, so I'm refraining to comment about the sonic outcome until this happens. THEN and not before they can be closely listened to for the "final judgement". Or at least that's what I think it happens.

HTH,
              Last edited by LtKojak; 06-10-2012, 02:08 AM.

Comment

That's awesome. You gave a great description of it too but I would love to actually hear it. Post a video or something.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                  I would love to actually hear it. Post a video or something.
                  As earlier stated, at the moment is not possible for me to post any examples, video or audio.

A bit of patience, grasshopper...

Comment

Nice clean job!

Looks great in that guitar too!

Those Samick built 335's are rather nice guitars and I'm excited to find out that there is one out there with a mahogany neck!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      Nice clean job!

Looks great in that guitar too!

Those Samick built 335's are rather nice guitars and I'm excited to find out that there is one out there with a mahogany neck!
                      Thank you, TGWIF! Coming from you, it's certainly appreciated and uplifting.

As we speak, in my neck of woods there's another one for sale, twin sister to mine, and it's got a mahogany neck too. Maybe they come from the same batch?

What kind of wood they've normally used? I have another Tamaki, this time a Gibson L-5 CES copy, and it's a solid carved top and bottom, all-maple tone monster. Here is an old picture of her, taken before the restauration:

Care to share your knowledge with me?
                      Last edited by LtKojak; 06-10-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Well, thank you sir!

Truth time...not familiar with the Tamaki brand much past just seeing it in passing now and then but I have played quite a few different guitars with various names on the headstocks that I knew were made by Samick.

Moist recently a 1997 Epi Dot that was great overall in terms of build quality but like many import 335 copies had a maple neck...

I have seen a few Samick branded 335's that had mahogany necks but never under another brand until now!

That L-5 looks the business too, very nice!
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

That L-5 looks the business too, very nice!
                          Thank you, that's a beast of an instrument, an unleashed tone monster that I yet haven't been able to book a gig that I can put it to good use.

She actually has an A2 Jazz set, and it's the most articulated p'up set known to mankind, even with the A2s.

You actually need to try it to believe it. Not for the sloppy player, though... it'll translate "in-yer-face" every single little nuance of your playing, specially the pick attack, heck, even the pick's material is heard through!

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                            Thank you, that's a beast of an instrument, an unleashed tone monster that I yet haven't been able to book a gig that I can put it to good use.

She actually has an A2 Jazz set, and it's the most articulated p'up set known to mankind, even with the A2s.

You actually need to try it to believe it. Not for the sloppy player, though... it'll translate "in-yer-face" every single little nuance of your playing, specially the pick attack, heck, even the pick's material is heard through!
                            I believe both the guitar is a beast and the pickups.

I also wish I had a real need for a big jazz box...but I'm gonna get one w/o a need!!!

I think a big hollow guitar is next on the list!

Now...get out there and find a jazz gig!!!!

Comment

I believe both the guitar is a beast and the pickups.

I also wish I had a real need for a big jazz box...but I'm gonna get one w/o a need!!!
                              Yeah! There's no such concept as to have "too many guitars". I call it "not enough space"

I think a big hollow guitar is next on the list!

Now...get out there and find a jazz gig!!!!
                              Yeah... I wish! One can dream, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X