Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-relic'ed Antiquity set by yours truly

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    Yeah! There's no such concept as to have "too many guitars". I call it "not enough space"

Yeah... I wish! One can dream, isn't it?
    Yeah...space will for sure dictate your collections size...my biggest issues is hard cases take up a LOT of space but I HATE gigbags!!!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Yeah...space will for sure dictate your collections size...my biggest issues is hard cases take up a LOT of space but I HATE gigbags!!!
      I have my guitars in a rack, and transport'em in gig bags. In a big city with no parking spaces, you move taking the bus, the subway or in the best of cases, with a taxi, so your rig is mostly what you can pack and take with you.

In my case, an electric, an acoustic (or a 335 and a strat, if the gig calls for'em) in a double gig bag and a modeler (a Johnson J-Station, a Behringer V-Amp3, a Mustang Floor or a Roland GR-55, take your pick), cables, tuner and other necessary accessories in a shoulder bag. Done!

Only my #1 has a hard case... which I don't use very often, LOL!

Owning nine guitars, I'm afflicted by the "not enough space" syndrom!

HTH,
      Last edited by LtKojak; 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Lt., your 335 looks spectacular. It is absolutely gorgeous w/pups you put in them. I can just imagine what it sounds like.
        Farhad aka Strat111

"The older I get, the better I used to be".
        Woke up this morning, sticky, broke, & confused.

Comment

Thank you, that's a beast of an instrument, an unleashed tone monster that I yet haven't been able to book a gig that I can put it to good use.

She actually has an A2 Jazz set, and it's the most articulated p'up set known to mankind, even with the A2s.

You actually need to try it to believe it. Not for the sloppy player, though... it'll translate "in-yer-face" every single little nuance of your playing, specially the pick attack, heck, even the pick's material is heard through!
          i have an A2 jazz in my main axe (a 175). Great pickup. Im a bit ocd about how i touch the string and my pick angle and all that. I really like it because it gives plenty of room for expression with a really clean but warm tone. Was a little too thin before (a5) but now its just warm and articulate. Thanks for forcing me to start mag swapping Kojak.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Strat111 View Post
            Lt., your 335 looks spectacular. It is absolutely gorgeous w/pups you put in them. I can just imagine what it sounds like.
            Thank you!

If it helps your imagination, this is what I wrote as a first impression:

I've rehearsed with this guitar yesterday for the first time after the new p'ups install and at the very beginning I thought it sounded a bit too full. It only took half a turn of the height's screw to put things just right where they supposed to be.

The polepiece screws in the neck p'up are set to a 12" radius, following the neck's and the string balance from string to string is just perfect. I normally take the 2nd string screw down a little bit, no need in this case.

The string set is a D'Addario XL116, 11-52.

The amp's settings are slighly different from my tried-and-true ones, a Blackface with bass in 3.5 mids in 5 and highs in 4.5. The neck p'up sounds very even through all frequencies, and the note separation is nothing short of great. The general tone is "airy" but in a very subtle way.

Just as is extremely sensitive to height, it also is to picking. All errors, sloppiness and timing errors are mercilessly amplified and totally heard through the mix. You can run, but you can't hide!

The liveliness and presence are a tad above the Seth Lover set they've replaced in this guitar. The output is slightly higher as well, but I was kinda specting it due to the UOA5 mags.

The articulation is just as high but with a tad smoother pick attack.

The EQ cuts through the mix without being bright. They're fuller (jazzier?) than the Seth Lover set, generally speaking, but the lows by no means ever take over the highs.

Tone-wise I'm now sounding closer to Larry Carlton than ever before... which just reminds me how bad I suck compared to him!
            More to come after this weekend... stay tuned!

HTH,
            Last edited by LtKojak; 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I'd like to add that to the mod done I've also cut the polepiece screws so they're flush with the baseplate, so the magnetic circuit is complete in the way that Seth Lover envisioned, and now the magnetic field is right where he thought it should belong.

The new magnetic circuit is going to take about a week to fully permeate the parts and stabilize, so I'm refraining to comment about the sonic outcome until this happens. THEN and not before they can be closely listened to for the "final judgement". Or at least that's what I think it happens.

HTH,
              I have done a search of the forum for more info, but did not find much. Could you please educate me? What is the overall effect and its tone result?
              thanks
              Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                Thanks for forcing me to start mag swapping Kojak.
                You're most welcome, gibson175!

Erm, I didn't break your arm, didn't I?

Comment

Originally posted by atreidesheir View Post
                  I have done a search of the forum for more info, but did not find much. Could you please educate me? What is the overall effect and its tone result?
                  thanks
                  Ask and you shall receive...

Shortening the poles/screws...as far as I remember, to do so will add a little treble detail:hmm: Is this correct? Just curious and if the time arises....anyone have any input on the topic:naughty:

HTH,

Comment

Grazie, maestro.

It will be a long few days to await your thoughts and opinions of the tonal change. I find this very interesting.
                    Last edited by atreidesheir; 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM.
                    Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

I'd like to add that to the mod done I've also cut the polepiece screws so they're flush with the baseplate, so the magnetic circuit is complete in the way that Seth Lover envisioned, and now the magnetic field is right where he thought it should belong.

The new magnetic circuit is going to take about a week to fully permeate the parts and stabilize, so I'm refraining to comment about the sonic outcome until this happens. THEN and not before they can be closely listened to for the "final judgement". Or at least that's what I think it happens.

HTH,
                      How did this mod work out for the pickups' tone? Did the magnetic field take shape as expected, or do something unepected?
                      I have been wondering about this mod.

Comment

Originally posted by atreidesheir View Post
                        How did this mod work out for the pickups' tone? Did the magnetic field take shape as expected, or do something unepected?
                        I have been wondering about this mod.
                        Well, as I wasn't closely following the outcomes of the different mods, the only thing it comes to mind, after the honeymoon period is over, that even if generally speaking the tone is nothing short of GREAT, there's a spongy quality in the bass on the neck p'up I wish it didn't have... but I'm splitting hairs here.

This brings the following topic: what's the best mag combo for the Ants, if you don't like'em stock?

UOA5s for me are great but not a perfect match. The next mod is changing the UOA5 in the neck for an A3. I've used this combo with success in a Jazz box before, let's see if it works better to lose the woolly bass to something closer to the unamplified acoustic sound of the sixth string. The highs will get smoother, but I think this will make the middle position sound even better, considering I'm keeping the UOA5 in the bridge.

I'm not planning to do this right now, but in the next month or so, I probably will... if life doesn't get in the way, that is!

If this won't work out either, next stop will be A4s! And for this I'm REALLY looking forward to! I'm very curious how this set will sound with my all-time favorite mag; the A4... stay tuned, but be patient, as there's only one of me and unfortunately I must WORK to be able to afford eating.
                        Last edited by LtKojak; 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Lt, I'm curious to see how the Ants take A4s as well
                          PRS Singlecuts
                          Epiphone Sheraton II
                          Vintage acoustics

Comment

Nicely done, my brother.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                              Nicely done, my brother.
                              Why thank you, Rick!

Anytime, bro. Anytime!

Comment

Nice pickup set!

I wonder if there's enough lead on my bridge pickup to pull it out far enough to perform a magnet change on a nickel pickup? This would be in my ES-335.

I may leave my 57 Classics in there for awhile, but wouldn't mind turning the bridge into an UOA5 version.

If it can be done, I'd lay towels over the face of the guitar to perform the surgery.
                                I just don't want to go through a full removal to change the mag.
                                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                                X