loosening my tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loosening my tone

so i have a new amp right now. its a titan custom. its a very very tight amp. coupled with a 4x12 loaded with eminence v12. all the equals super super tight metal tone. which is fantastic but i like just a bit of sag with my tone. not uber vintage sag but not surgically tight like it is. think pantera far beyond driven or metallica master of pupets in terms of bass response. or coc in the arms of god.

eventually i think a speaker change would be fantastic but i dont have the money right now. but when i do i think i will go for eminence gb12.

for the time being i think i will try some magnet swaps. and pickup swaps.

here are the pickups i have to work with.

duncan custom
    duncan distortion
    duncan invader
    gibson 490t
    gibson 498/490 hybrid
    duncan alt 8
    lawrence bill and becky l500xl

any sugestions? this amp has tons of gain on tap.

i am actually thinking a good over wound paf with work great. probally just loose enough for the rig?

so who makes a good overwound paf for under 100$ ?

Re: loosening my tone

you might try an Alnico 2 in the Custom, or the Distortion for that matter. It'll definitely give the pickup a looser, smoother tone. Also, the decrease in output from Ceramic to A2 should also push the sound closer to PAF-ish territory, especially for the Custom.
    Last edited by CTN; 06-17-2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I went through the same sort of quandary. I tried everything I could with the Distortion wind, but I could never get just that little bit of sag I wanted from my Les Paul. The A5 in that wind in the LP was not good either.

I finally went to the Custom wind and was a lot closer. When I put an Alnico 8 in it, I was happy. It hasn't left that guitar since. For the record, it's running through a Wizard and Governor combo. You didn't mention what speakers you have, but neither one of mine have loose bass response.

Comment

Eminence v12

Comment

The C8 is a favorite for lots of guys, I installed one on a Les Paul and it sounded great. The notes were very clear and punchy, not sure about the sag.
          I put an A8 bridge, A4 neck in the middle magnet for a pair of Dirty Fingers to good result. So swapping the middle mag of the Invader is probably possible too, maybe an A2 in there which may combine nicely with the ceramics which work as spacers. I beleive Iommis signature pups are like that. Not from his main axe which were wound by John Birch http://www.johnbirchguitars.com/John...G_Special.html

Comment

I should also mention that my custom has a 2x ceramic

Comment

You might want to try a UOA5. That is where I would start. Try it first in the custom.
              My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
              Originally posted by CTN
              I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
              FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

ignore me but i thought this read 'loosening my bowels' for some reason....
                Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

I took care of that with a half pint of rum and 20 beers yesterday. I could poop through a strainer today.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                    I took care of that with a half pint of rum and 20 beers yesterday. I could poop through a strainer today.
                    ROFL!
                    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

want Pantera? have your cab run at 2 ohms instead of 4 or 8

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweden View Post
                        want Pantera? have your cab run at 2 ohms instead of 4 or 8
                        explain?

Comment

I tried the c8 and the cuorca5. I am still sticking with the double thick custom. The amp just took a dump on me anyways so it back to my 5150.

Comment

Working...
                          X