Duncan Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion?

I have a PRS Custom 24. I have been switching between the EVH Frankenstein and the Custom 5 in the Bridge. Both good but not perfect. I want something high output but still very articulate. Would the Duncan Distortion do it? Full Shred? All opinions welcome!

Re: Duncan Distortion?

The distortion is definitely high output and articulate. If that were my custom 24: I would take that custom 5 you have and make it into a custom 8. The alnico 8 magnet will pump up the output, bolster the midrange and give you nice singing highs. I have a custom 8 in a custom 22....sounds killer!

Comment

How do you change the magnet? I've heard a lot
      Of people doing it but I have never done that. Also, what about the JB?

Comment

First reply and we've got a magnet swapping suggestions. First things first. How long have you had the current pickup? Seymour Duncan's 21-day return policy is for exactly this type of thing. Can you talk a little more about what is missing in your current pickup, what type of music you play, and what amp you'll be using?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          First reply and we've got a magnet swapping suggestions. First things first. How long have you had the current pickup? Seymour Duncan's 21-day return policy is for exactly this type of thing. Can you talk a little more about what is missing in your current pickup, what type of music you play, and what amp you'll be using?
          My thoughts exactly Mr. Whizzy. People make it sound like all Duncan should sell is the Custom, Alt, and JB in A8.

I was going to ask about exactly what "articulate" means. When I hear that, I think mids and highs. Not so much bass. Clear and tight. Less fizz, more crunch and snap. Attack.

What EXACTLY is it that you need more/less of, in what frequencies, or what qualities?

Have you spent some serious time properly adjusting the height of the pup in there now?

The Distortion IMO may be the most articulate of the high output pups. I can't speak to the Full Shred, but I know it is voiced for muddy/bassy/heavily processed guitars/amps/sounds.

I like my JB8, but it is no Distortion! The Distortion is my fave pup overall period. They DO NOT compare and are not even CLOSE. I wouldn't rec one for someone who is thinking about the other.

Good call on the exchange also!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Right now I have the EVH Frankenstein in there. Before that I had the custom
            Five. I probably need more mids. When I play hammer on/pull off stuff I want more articulation on the notes that I'm picking. More of a accented pick attack. I'm doing the high gain thing with my amps. EVH, Gilbert, Satch type of stuff.

Comment

As much as I love the Custom8, I think you are right in looking at the Distortion. It will definitely give you good mids, great harmonics, is very articulate, bright highs and solid bass. Handles loads of distortion without getting muddy or flabby. Cleans up with a twist of the volume knob.

I personally don't care for the brittle sounding highs of ceramic magnets, but with an A8 you retain all of the great qualities of the Dist., but gain a smoother, warmer high end. My favorite is the Dist. with an A2...I love the warmer softer feel of it and the huge mids. This was exactly what I was looking for a couple months ago when I was asking for help finding a pup with strong mids, solid bass, warm and smooth highs, high output, and very articulate.

From what you said you are looking for relative to the Custom 5, I'd say you will probably love the Distortion.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah. When you look at my "close but not quite" pickups like the Custom 5 and the Frankenstein (which I've heard is like a Custom Custom) the distortion seems like a good next step

Comment

Go for it.

Comment

distortion is high output and articulate. did i mention high output? if that's too hot then get a custom. its high output but not quite as hot and has a bigger bottom end, warmer and meatier than the distortion. never tried a full shred but that should be one of the more articulate pups out there.

my favorite is a custom/jb hybrid with a ceramic mag. it smokes!! its full, hot and very articulate. it's really hot and aggressive sounding without sounding shrill or harsh

Comment

IMO, both the Custom and the JB (esp. with a ceramic mag) are very shrill/harsh/brittle sounding.

It's been my experience that a hybrid tends to be a bit brighter than either of the pups it is formed from.

Comment

DD is wonderful in rosewood and mohohany. As is the custom. I think it tames the highs. The custom/jb is a bit fuller and more alive. ones description of bright will vary depending on who you talk to but I like that combo very much. Ceramic is very articulate. Some think it's too bright and I would recommend the A8. That way u get most of the heat but with some warth and dynamic to it

Comment

If the DD is too bright, then go for it's darker and growlier sibling, the PA TB2
                          DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Great thread! Thank you for sharing you thoughts! I learned a lot about distortion form reading this thread

Comment

Man the highs are the only part I never liked about the SH6...an alnico 8 magnet swap solves that?!

Comment

Working...
                              X