New artist pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New artist pups

I dont want this to come off as a rant , but more like an observation.

I will start with the relevance of artists pups's. I know there are all kinds of factors in getting sig pups. That being said. i whole heartily believe that Jimmy vaughn, Jerry cantrell and tom petty are really deserving of some sig pups.

now im not turning this into i hate so and so, but certain new artist acquisitions of sig pups, just boggle my mind.

To keep this to the point. I know as wonderful as SD products are, i also understand its a buisness, but i hope maybe some sig pups in the future collaborations will be made before they pass away.
    How i got the nick name Buckethead. It was Easter Sunday 1984 and my grandmother bought me a Plastic bucket with Easter eggs and candy, to which i promptly dumped all said contents and put the bucket on my head. I am not the musician Buckethead nor do i claim to be.

Re: New artist pups

And your point is....?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Jerry Cantrell does have a sig G&L pickup in his rampage guitars.
      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Motor City Pickups make a Jerry Cantrell sig I believe. Or are in the process of developing.
        Originally posted by Aceman
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I think Buckethead should be added to the list...well deserving of sig pickups.

Comment

I want a Kurt Cobain sign pup made by gfs

Comment

I want good pickups, made with good quality, that let ME get the sound I want/need from my guitar.

Cantrell? Petty? Seriously?

I like AIC, and I'm playing/singing petty every other night. But I'm not feeling the sig need. I think this is just you.

I have some very strong feelings about sig gear period and believe it is soooo overdone it is stupid. Search sig guitars
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I can't really think of a modern musician whose tone I'd like to cop. Maybe Benjamin Bunny, the current guitarist in the Murder Junkies. He plays a Lucite Ampeg Dan Armstrong that sounds like a chainsaw...

This is the first song from the new Murder Junkies album "Road Killer". Go get it, it really is awesome.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  I want good pickups, made with good quality, that let ME get the sound I want/need from my guitar.

Cantrell? Petty? Seriously?

I like AIC, and I'm playing/singing petty every other night. But I'm not feeling the sig need. I think this is just you.

I have some very strong feelings about sig gear period and believe it is soooo overdone it is stupid. Search sig guitars
                  Well, I'd say Jerry Cantrell really deserves a signature pup, but he just uses stock JBs or the Motor City JB clone. No point in really having a signature pup for him.

Comment

I think to deserve signature pickups the artist must have distinct playing style and tone. For example Stanley Jordan have unique playing style, but his tone is your standard professional jazz musician's tone so IMO he's not that worthy of having a signature pickup. Except when he want one, now that's a different story.
                    Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                    Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Screw that. Im all against artist sig pickups. Usually the tone people are trying to cop was made on run of the mill production pickups then they want me to pay an extra 20-40 bucks per pickup cause some scrubby dude stands in front of a camera and says they use this pickup?

And its funny to see people suggest well this person "deserves" a custom pickup? Why cause you like them? You really dont understand the concept of "endorsements" do you. You can be a killer musician with great unique tone but that wont get you an endorsement. Why? cause endorsements are about using your name to sell more. Some obscure player that only other niche guitar players know is a bad endorsement. You pick people who are visible that people will associate the name and be willing to pay that extra 40 bucks for.
                      Last edited by Edgecrusher; 08-19-2012, 05:11 AM.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

sig pickups are stupid! they cost twice as much and still wont get you the exact tone of that artist.
                        Look at vanhalen all the different pickups he put out and still people are asking what pickup for his tone!
                        Excellent deals with,
                        Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                        Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                        slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                        guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                        51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                        king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          And its funny to see people suggest well this person "deserves" a custom pickup? Why cause you like them? You really dont understand the concept of "endorsements" do you. You can be a killer musician with great unique tone but that wont get you an endorsement. Why? cause endorsements are about using your name to sell more. Some obscure player that only other niche guitar players know is a bad endorsement. You pick people who are visible that people will associate the name and be willing to pay that extra 40 bucks for.
                          +1. Signature anything is about name recognition, which only has a loose relationship with music quality and integrity. Most of the band/musician names we know are famous because they been pushed by record companies and radio stations. There has long been a mistaken assumption that the acts that sell the most records must be the most talented.

Jimmy Vaughn was an 'okay' guitarist in the early T-Bird days; anymore he sounds like he's falling asleep when he's playing. His tones are thin and tinny, his playing clumsy and half-hearted. How many players want to emulate that? Who takes Tom Petty seriously as a guitarist? I don't know that I've ever seen a thread here about his tones or playing.
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I don't think anyone should get a signature anything. It always adds some cash to the price on my end.

Comment

Agreed - a lot of that is about sales period.

And like I have said about MANY Artists:

You want the Eric Clapton sig sound? well, he got that with off the wall American Standards.

You want Warren DeMartini? That's a stock JB

The sounds and guitars that made you WANT the sig, are as was said, mostly stock stuff in the first place.

These days Sig stuff has just became an extension of endorsement.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X