New artist pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New artist pups

Oh, come on! This sounds great to say that 'you don't fall for any of that stupid signature marketing crud', but most of watch the gear of our guitar heros pretty closely--and usually use some of it. Aceman, I specifically remember you gettin' major wood for a new Frehly Les Paul you were gassing for. In the end, you didn't buy it because if was NOT signature enough! How many threads in this forum praise the JB, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, etc.?

My rig doesn't mirror anyone else that I know of, but it does include several signature pieces of various artists. I always check out new gear that my fav's endorse and see if it's something that might work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Guston7 View Post
      Oh, come on! This sounds great to say that 'you don't fall for any of that stupid signature marketing crud', but most of watch the gear of our guitar heros pretty closely--and usually use some of it. Aceman, I specifically remember you gettin' major wood for a new Frehly Les Paul you were gassing for. In the end, you didn't buy it because if was NOT signature enough! How many threads in this forum praise the JB, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, etc.?

My rig doesn't mirror anyone else that I know of, but it does include several signature pieces of various artists. I always check out new gear that my fav's endorse and see if it's something that might work for me.
      I'm really not trying to dog you here but this is EXACTLY why they do signature series and artist endorsements cause they know that it hooks people like yourself. Not saying is good or bad just that it works and your a great example of it.

Note noone said sig stuff was bad necessarily sometimes its good stuff sometimes its junk. 90% of the time it isnt what was used then first starting digging whatever guitarist. My whole beef with sig stuff is that they tack on an extra cost for that endorsement. Most of the time not small either.

Too many times people see an endorsement and run to it without knowing the truth. Case in point Marty Friedmans Blue Voodoo endorsement. Most people dont know that his endorsement contract didnt require him to record with the amps. Didnt even have to use them in concert. In concert he only had to use the cabs. The only time he was to use a blue voodoo was during clinics or personal appearances. I caught one of this clinics during this era and was able to chat with him and asked him and he explained this to me it not as many words but I caught the drift. Side note his tone was very blue voodoo at the clinic thin and buzzy nothing at all like what he would get normally.

Long story short. Just cause you see a flashy magazine ad doesnt mean thats what the guy is using or maybe he used it for 10 minutes long enough for them to take some pictures.

Sure it doesnt hurt to check out gear cause you see your hero using it. What does hurt is if that influences your decision on if it works for you or not. If you check it out and it works for you great! Everyone wins!

Oh well rant off
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I didn't say I run out and buy it. Please read post. And, you were completely unaware of the VH connection when you bought your 5150? What a boat load.

Comment

And, about it making money for the musician, that's fine with me. So many people steal music nowadays. If artists can bring in money endorsing products, I say more power to 'em.

Comment

And, about it making money for the musician, that's fine with me. So many people steal music nowadays. If artists can bring in money endorsing products, I say more power to 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              This is so childish. Don't just post a picture. School me on why it's so bad that musician's make money on this stuff. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing and I'm wrong?

Comment

You made my argument for me. I'd rather have a STock LP Custom with one working Superdistortion. Not a dang thing Sig about that or custom except that it was what he played.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Signature gear gives us more options, which is good. But there's no guarantee you'll sound like the artist, or that that's what he used during the period you liked him best. Ideally signature gear should be based on tone quality, not popularity and airplay.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

However, the way it goes that most older artists used whatever pickup that were available to them. For example, Jimmy page used stock tele or paf pickups, Gilmour used stock strat pups in the early days, etc. Lot of guys used JB and DD in the 80s. It was only much later when they started getting endorsements that they wanted to specify what sort of tone they want with particular signature guitar. Some guys actually use the signature pup in their later recordings, and some don't. But I see lots of guys here post about how to cop that early tone of some x artist. Well, it sure isn't the signature pickups.

Comment

If the signature gear gets you the tone you're looking for, or some extra feature you find useful, then go for it. Getting the gear of a "hero" who's tone you like makes sense if you want an element of that sound in your tone. It doesn't make sense if (as noted many times) the artist didn't use the signature gear to get their signature tone.

Buying an EVH flanger because it has his name on it doesn't get you anything extra. All that pedal did is make some extra money and make it slightly easier to play a particular cover. Beyond that, signature gear tends to make an immediate association between your playing and someone else, even if you have no idea who the person is. Your playing will likely be compared to that better known person. Those are all valid reasons to avoid signature gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        Long story short. Just cause you see a flashy magazine ad doesnt mean thats what the guy is using or maybe he used it for 10 minutes long enough for them to take some pictures.

Sure it doesnt hurt to check out gear cause you see your hero using it. What does hurt is if that influences your decision on if it works for you or not. If you check it out and it works for you great! Everyone wins!

Oh well rant off
                        +1000!
                        this is why i said sig pickups are stupid! Most guys say "oh i use a so and so and pose in a pic but they actually are using other pickups as well. case in point my fav guitarist george lynch was supposed to be using screaming demons well when i talked to him at a clinic he told me he uses a JB,59,emg 81,DD,demon and paf's,old fender singles coils!
                        Now tell me which he used where?
                        Excellent deals with,
                        Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                        Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                        slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                        guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                        51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                        king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by buckethead View Post
                          I dont want this to come off as a rant , but more like an observation.

I will start with the relevance of artists pups's. I know there are all kinds of factors in getting sig pups. That being said. i whole heartily believe that Jimmy vaughn, Jerry cantrell and tom petty are really deserving of some sig pups.

now im not turning this into i hate so and so, but certain new artist acquisitions of sig pups, just boggle my mind.

To keep this to the point. I know as wonderful as SD products are, i also understand its a buisness, but i hope maybe some sig pups in the future collaborations will be made before they pass away.
                          ????
                          jerry used a JB exclusively with AIC and now uses motor city pickups so maybe take him off your list?
                          Excellent deals with,
                          Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                          Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                          slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                          guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                          51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                          king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Working...
                          X