Magnet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet Question

Is there any way to distinguish between A2 and A5 bar magnets by some measurement or physical attribute?
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: Magnet Question

I don't know where you got them, but all the A2 magnets I've pulled out of Duncan pups have had a blue marking on one edge.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      Is there any way to distinguish between A2 and A5 bar magnets by some measurement or physical attribute?
      If you have two mags and you know one is an A2 and the other an A5, the fridge test is alright. Put both mags on the fridge and the one that's consistently harder to take out if the A5.

If you have mags with no markings, it's going to be difficult, even with a Gaussmeter, as fx, A4 and UOA5 bars read very similar, just as A2 and A3.

So, there's no simple answer for your question.

HTH,

Comment

Both of your answers are extremely helpful although I'm feeling a little bit foolish right now. I just looked closely (for the first time) at the magnet in question .... looked to find a blue mark per Kam's suggestion. Instead of a blue mark I found this mysterious, possibly hieroglyphic inscription: A5
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Is there a way to test the magnetic strength of a pickup? I'm thinking of pulling a ceramic bar magnet out and replacing with a couple small Neo mags. I know Neo are stronger, but they are also much smaller. If they are too strong, I could also put a shim in and "air mod" them. I just need a way to test the actual strength, preferably a quantitative approach rather than a fridge test.

Comment

Working...
          X