banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a Good Neck Pickup to Match a Custom8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a Good Neck Pickup to Match a Custom8?

I just mag swapped a custom custom to a custom8. Awesome! Loving the intensity. The neck pu is currently a 59. Was thinking of putting in the A2 from the CC to make it a little smoother. Still a little extra heat wouldn't be a bad idea either. The axe is a Schecter C1 custom, mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board w/24 frets. What say you guys?
    MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Re: What's a Good Neck Pickup to Match a Custom8?

I paired it with a little '59 in the neck positon and they made a wonderful match. I would guess that a Jazz, A2pro or any PAF type pickup would be a great match as well.

Comment

The match made in heaven for that Custom 8 of yours is simply an A4 for that '59n.

You can thank me later!

Comment

A4 or A2 pickups will sound more even when switching between positions, the midrange dropout from the C8 to the Jazz or a stock 59 is pretty drastic. Could be a good or bad thing, depends on the user.

The other option is a Dimarzio, several pickups work pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          The match made in heaven for that Custom 8 of yours is simply an A4 for that '59n.

You can thank me later!
          He's right. He talked me into it, and I tested the waters with a stock 59 then an A4. Not a gigantic difference, but enough to make it right. Of course, the tweaker in me decided I should mess with it, so I lived with Alnico 2 for a while. In the end, though, I'm back to Alnico 4, and I have no desire to try anything else.

As far as tone goes, the A4 gets rid of the A5 scoop, warming it up slightly, and getting rid of a bit of ice pick high end. It maintains good snap, but it just sounds right. The A2 lost too much high end, and even turning the tone knob all the way up couldn't fix it. The A4 is just right.

Comment

Maybe the A4 59n matches well with the C8. To me, the stock 59 don't match that well. But, when I tried the A4 in my 59, I thought the pickup became lifeless and lost all the things that I love about it.

Comment

Originally posted by symptom View Post
              when I tried the A4 in my 59, I thought the pickup became lifeless and lost all the things that I love about it.
              Looks like you love the "wrong things"...

Just pulling your leg, man.

Comment

That A4 intrigues me. I am also curious about an A2. Someone said 24 frets + Screamin' Demon in the neck = WIN. Any thoughts?

P.S. Kojak... where do I get an A4? Addiction FX?
                MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
                  That A4 intrigues me.

P.S. Kojak... where do I get an A4? Addiction FX?
                  For A4s, both Addiction FX and Mojotone.com.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
                    I just mag swapped a custom custom to a custom8. Awesome! Loving the intensity. The neck pu is currently a 59. Was thinking of putting in the A2 from the CC to make it a little smoother. Still a little extra heat wouldn't be a bad idea either. The axe is a Schecter C1 custom, mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board w/24 frets. What say you guys?
                    mahogany with ebony board with an A8 mag pup in the bridge? check out the Full Shred neck.

or....

the Blazebucker neck from Buddy Blaze. DMT makes his Blazebuckers and they come with A8s in both bridge and neck position. I use them in a mahogany with an ebony board. he sells them on his ebay store of you can check out his site for email or phone info to order one.

or...

if you already have a '59, put an A4 in it.

or...

get/make a '59/JnA4, which is even better. if you want one with a nickel cover, I've got one I can let go of.

Comment

I love Guitar Fetishes Mean 90, nice n cheap too. Try out the A4 since you allready have the 59 and keep an eye here since Jay asked the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                        Looks like you love the "wrong things"...

Just pulling your leg, man.
                        And maybe you're right. I'm not a reference to anything... =P

Comment

I too like the A4 with the C8

My favorite neck pickup is the 59/jazz hybrid A4. It goes really well with the C8

I'm using that neck hybrid now with the custom/jb in the bridge Nice!

Comment

also,
                            I had a mohogany guitar with a maple top and ebony board and I thought the stock 59n sounded amazing. that same pickup in a LP with rosewood board sucked

Comment

Working...
                            X