banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bridge 'bucker: screw coil towards neck sound any different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bridge 'bucker: screw coil towards neck sound any different?

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    peter green did in fact have the neck pup with the screws towards the bridge but that had nothing to do with the phase
    Yep. Simply rotating the pickup doesn't change its output phase, and it won't give you the Peter Green sound. As I wrote, "Easily disproved by trying it."

To be explicit, Peter Green's sound is often misattributed solely to having a neck pickup rotated so that the screw coil is closer to the neck. That's a small part of it -- consider the amount of iron in a slug vs. a screw, and their relative positions along the string -- but it's nearly insignificant. The real issue is that the magnet in the neck pup was rotated, so that the polarity (phase? please correct this!) was opposite to that of the bridge pup. In effect, his guitar had a neck pickup whose output was opposite in phase from that of his bridge pup. When both pups are selected, more frequencies cancel, giving a much thinner, brighter sound.
    "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

Originally posted by jafo View Post
      Yep. Simply rotating the pickup doesn't change its output phase, and it won't give you the Peter Green sound. As I wrote, "Easily disproved by trying it."

To be explicit, Peter Green's sound is often misattributed solely to having a neck pickup rotated so that the screw coil is closer to the neck. That's a small part of it -- consider the amount of iron in a slug vs. a screw, and their relative positions along the string -- but it's nearly insignificant. The real issue is that the magnet in the neck pup was rotated, so that the polarity (phase? please correct this!) was opposite to that of the bridge pup. In effect, his guitar had a neck pickup whose output was opposite in phase from that of his bridge pup. When both pups are selected, more frequencies cancel, giving a much thinner, brighter sound.

As I previously stated ,I just assumed The pickup would be out of phase by rotating it .I thought I read thats why Seth Lover with when the first Paf's were wound have the neck pickup flipped instead of having the both pickups screw poles facing the bridge .I cant find any info now
      WOW ..Thanks Guys

Comment

No. However, that does place the adjustable coil farther down the string, which allows you to dial in slightly different tones. In other words, there's more to getting a tone change than simply flipping the pickup.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4 View Post
          When I first tried flipping the pickup I was worried I would run into this too. Someone with much more knowledge than me on this can explain why flipping the magnet isn't the same as turning the pickup. I know they're not the same, just can't explain why lol.
          Its like a clock. You look at it and the dials all move 'clockwise'. This is like the flow of electrons. If you just rotate the clock so that 6 is at the top, the hands still move clockwise, but the numbers are upside down. If you were to flip the clock so you then looked at it from the back, the hands would then be seen to go anticlockwise if the assembly was see-through. Similarly, flipping the magnet will make the current flow is the other way, and the phase is altered.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            Its like a clock. You look at it and the dials all move 'clockwise'. This is like the flow of electrons. If you just rotate the clock so that 6 is at the top, the hands still move clockwise, but the numbers are upside down. If you were to flip the clock so you then looked at it from the back, the hands would then be seen to go anticlockwise if the assembly was see-through. Similarly, flipping the magnet will make the current flow is the other way, and the phase is altered.
            That seems reasonable. I thought that it is how it worked, but didnt want to state anything I couldn't back up. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X