Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pearly Gates vs Burstbucker 3

Originally posted by mariosyjp View Post
    how would you guys compare the BB3 to the classic 57 bridge?
    BB3 is going to be hotter output and more defined. The Classic '57 will be warmer, rounder. Then, there's the Classic '57 Plus, which is hotter than the regular '57 and about the same as the BB3. It's specifically designed for the bridge. Nice round rock tone, great for classic rock and blues. I think this pickup and the JB have a lot of tonal similarities.

The BB 1&2 sets in my Historic LP, definitely have a vintage PAF vibe, but not quite there--still totally usable. The BB2 in the bridge can get a little twang--sort of a muscled-up tele pickup. The BB1 in the neck can get nicely defined woman tone just by turning the tone knob down a bit. They really sing through my Mesa amps. The '57 Classics are warmer, muddier, rounder. They work very well in the ES-335s. The BB 1&2 can definitely have an edge.

I like to say that I'll use my Historics for gigs where I'm rockin' hard, but use the LP Elegant with the '57 Classics when I have a hearing-aid crowd and don't want to offend anybody. LOL!

Bill
    Last edited by Boogie Bill; 05-14-2014, 01:44 PM.
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Re: Pearly Gates vs Burstbucker 3

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
      The '57 Classics are warmer, muddier, rounder.
      +1. Which is why I don't like '57's. I have a number of different kinds of PAF's, and '57's were a disappointment for me. To my ears, they're a not good fit in short scale guitars with warm-toned woods. The unbalanced coils in BB's give more high end and definition.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
      X