Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fugly Bucker - Come and Get it

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
    Others have chimed in and it looks like mine were a fluke.
    Nothing to worry about.

And just an FYI, I was able to dremel/sand out enough room in a pair of TripleShot curved rings to fit the pups in.
    Just need to drill a couple of new holes to secure the neck pup.
    Hopefully, I'll get to finishing the wiring tomorrow.

pics or it didnt happen

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
      That's awesome you put them in a LP. If you've got a dremel just use the fugly ring as a template and grind out some LP rings. I've done it before (same ring as an Iommi/Diablo uses). You can probably use a pencil and some sandpaper too, it'll just take longer.
      +1

This is what I did on mine. Sorry I didn't call that out. Open up your existing rings a little and you'll be fine. The SDCS rings have extra space for both bobbins, but you might only need it for the bar magnet bobbin. Start there, and test the fit with the pickup as you work.

Comment

That's awesome you put them in a LP. If you've got a dremel just use the fugly ring as a template and grind out some LP rings. I've done it before (same ring as an Iommi/Diablo uses). You can probably use a pencil and some sandpaper too, it'll just take longer.
        I'd like to do this properly and maybe I can supply a couple other guys with them, too.

Does anybody know, specifically, what the radius of the curve at the end of the bobbins is? Don't say width/2 too easily, because I don't think it necessarily is a complete half circle.

Also, since the things have short legs, I think in the case the Gibson LP bridge rings might be too conservative and I need the really tall stuff. The only source I am aware of is Dimarzio, which I boycott. But Dimarzio doesn't make these, so there's probably a source for the extra tall bridge rings somewhere. Anyone knows?

Comment

You shouldn't need a tall ring, just trim down the springs a little.

Comment

You shouldn't need a tall ring, just trim down the springs a little.
            Well sure, it works. But I'm still interested where to get the tall rings to put a couple "on file".

Comment

Ah, gotcha. I have some flats from Allparts that are the standard size, maybe they have some tall LP types. Stay away from the Proline crap though, those are import sized.

Comment

My fuglybuckers arrived today along with my Bonamassa set. I'm very annoyed I have to work for the next 3 days

Comment

Ah, gotcha. I have some flats from Allparts that are the standard size, maybe they have some tall LP types. Stay away from the Proline crap though, those are import sized.
                  Actually I need some import sized rings, too.

Where do I get those? Well decent quality won't hurt of course.

Comment

So can anyone confirm this will work with triple shots sans modification?
                    SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
                    Mi Familia

Comment

with a bit of a squeeze, think so. but whats the problem? take a piece of sanding paper and a round pen or pencil and just start sanding. 5 minute job. done. I'm modifying a set of brass rings to fit these pickps.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        Actually I need some import sized rings, too.

Where do I get those? Well decent quality won't hurt of course.
                        Nothing wrong with the Proline other than they are import sized.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                          It's quite a bit different. Lots of punch.

I think the goal to have a less boomy neck pickup in the neck of a Les Paul has been reached.

However, I can't mount the thing. In the neck position the ring is too high, higher than the 22th fret. In the bridge position, leaving aside the problem of lack of curve on the bottom, the ring is way too flat. Combine that with the short legs and you aren't anywhere near mounting distance.

High-tech mount made of the packaging material in the box:
                          Interesting. I wonder how the tone changes depending on which coil faces the neck/bridge.

I think these would look cool in my black Roadstar...with red bobbins .
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I got mine last week, and finally mounted it in my Super-Sonic last night. Fitting it was a PITA. I had to modify the pick guard and the triple-shot and it is still tight. I only have a small amount of height adjustment available and ring looks warped.

To answer the question, I don't think it will fit a TS without modification. You can squeeze it in, but it won't fit right when you go to mount it. To get it perfect you will have to shave some PCB and both sides to really make it nice. I just did the non-switch side and it looks a bit funny.

BUT...plugging in and playing a bit made it worth the trouble. It sounds really nice clean and with some drive. It's pretty bright, but not harsh or sterile. It has a sound that is hard to describe. It's really tight yet it's still rounded. It's got a hifi quality but it has some squish and compression too. It's almost like double tracking a p90 and a full-shred together. It splits really well too. I'm still trying to get into the differences between the two single coils, because they have a different feel. I'm not wild about the parallel setting so far. It seems a bit thin. I only played a bit, so I still have more to do. So far so good though. It's a really cool pickup with a unique sound and feel.

Tim

Comment

I dont find them to be fugly irl...

Comment

Originally posted by timhatimay View Post
                                I got mine last week, and finally mounted it in my Super-Sonic last night. Fitting it was a PITA. I had to modify the pick guard and the triple-shot and it is still tight. I only have a small amount of height adjustment available and ring looks warped.

To answer the question, I don't think it will fit a TS without modification. You can squeeze it in, but it won't fit right when you go to mount it. To get it perfect you will have to shave some PCB and both sides to really make it nice. I just did the non-switch side and it looks a bit funny.

BUT...plugging in and playing a bit made it worth the trouble. It sounds really nice clean and with some drive. It's pretty bright, but not harsh or sterile. It has a sound that is hard to describe. It's really tight yet it's still rounded. It's got a hifi quality but it has some squish and compression too. It's almost like double tracking a p90 and a full-shred together. It splits really well too. I'm still trying to get into the differences between the two single coils, because they have a different feel. I'm not wild about the parallel setting so far. It seems a bit thin. I only played a bit, so I still have more to do. So far so good though. It's a really cool pickup with a unique sound and feel.

Tim
                                Since this is a vintage-range pickup, you're talking ~2k in parallel, which isn't a whole lot. I'm not surprised it'd be thin.

I'm glad to see it isn't just me that found describing them tricky. It's really a different sound from anything I've tried before. I haven't used PATB or non-"strat" rail pickups before though, so I don't know how much is the bobbin format versus the hybrid setup versus just the wind. I really like the unique tone, but I need to give it some time and record with it to make certain it isn't just the novelty of the sound that's exciting me. I might need to get some triple-shots too.

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                                I dont find them to be fugly irl...
                                To me, they're just different/modern looking. This is guitar land though, so anything non-vintage is going to be questioned.
                                Last edited by scarr; 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X