PRS HFS Treble ..... Mag Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS HFS Treble ..... Mag Swap

I found a PRS SE 24 pickup in a box that I forgot I had.

PRS calls it "HFS Designed" and it's made by "G&B Pick Up Co" somewhere in Asia.

From my experience with it, I thought it was actually a pretty good sounding pickup.

I don't know how much different the specs are USA vs Asia, but the US specs are:

• Uncovered
    • Magnet: Ceramic
    • DC Res: 15k
    • Brass baseplate

Pros:
    -Tight
    -Harmonics everywhere (and easy)

Cons:
    -pretty compressed
    -prominent upper midrange spike

I want to install this into a strat of mine, to be mated with a P90 in the neck.

I want to maintain the awesome harmonics and relative tightness, but
    get rid of the honky, compressed upper mids.

What magnet would you recommend I replace the ceramic with?

Please accompany an explanation with your answer.

Re: PRS HFS Treble ..... Mag Swap

UOA5

You'll loose some of the overall output and a little bit of tightness, but it will open up the sound and smooth out the perceived mid spike for sure.

----

Also, what happened to your excitement about the UOC (Un-Oriented Ceramic)? Might be exactly what you need if you want to retain the Ceramic qualities and change the mids structure!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      ----

Also, what happened to your excitement about the UOC (Un-Oriented Ceramic)? Might be exactly what you need if you want to retain the Ceramic qualities and change the mids structure!

I'm definitely excited about it!
      But I don't think it's a good fit for this specific guitar/setup................but maybe it is...hm, lol.

Comment

bump

Comment

Bump

Anyone used these? I'm curious which Duncan sounds most similar (at 14.5-15k, I'm wondering if it's similar to a Custom wind).

I have an A2 at home I'm thinking about putting in there before/instead of buying an UOA5.

Comment

Working...
          X