• Show
Clear All

• New hybrids I made this weekend

Who wants to guess?

Re: New hybrids I made this weekend

Invader/Distortion?

Comment

Invader/Custom. Built the one with the 'vader caps for Lats, it's an A8, mine has a big ceramic. It's ****ing great! I didn't try his, I'll let him review it, but I really like mine.

Mine displaced a Warpig for convenience sake, but might just take it's place permanently. It's sensitive to height adjustments, mounted lower it has that pronounced, open, chorusy hybrid sound, not near as hot feeling as you'd think. Mounted higher it gets tighter and less of the hybrid-ness is as apparent, sounds more like a metal pickup. What's really cool is that lead sounds and cleaner sounds are nicer sounding and more "sparkly" than either the big ceramic Custom or the Invader, regardless of height. It's really balanced, not overly bright or dark. I'm smitten with it right now.

Comment

sweet man, would love to hear some clips if you get the time.

Comment

Yeah, I need to figure something out for recording, I just need it to be cheeep. I've got an old ass ardvarck sound card, but I can't find the driver, I have no mics, and the only software I've got is super old Cubase, I mean like 2002 old, haha. I could maybe do something with my iphone like F73 did, but I don't know how much that would show anyone (other than the awesomeness that is Izzo on the gits).

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
            Yeah, I need to figure something out for recording, I just need it to be cheeep. I've got an old ass ardvarck sound card, but I can't find the driver, I have no mics, and the only software I've got is super old Cubase, I mean like 2002 old, haha. I could maybe do something with my iphone like F73 did, but I don't know how much that would show anyone (other than the awesomeness that is Izzo on the gits).
            Check UbuntuStudio or AVLinux. Fee OS with free audio production software with very low hardware requirements.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Invader/Custom. Built the one with the 'vader caps for Lats, it's an A8, mine has a big ceramic. It's ****ing great! I didn't try his, I'll let him review it, but I really like mine.

Mine displaced a Warpig for convenience sake, but might just take it's place permanently. It's sensitive to height adjustments, mounted lower it has that pronounced, open, chorusy hybrid sound, not near as hot feeling as you'd think. Mounted higher it gets tighter and less of the hybrid-ness is as apparent, sounds more like a metal pickup. What's really cool is that lead sounds and cleaner sounds are nicer sounding and more "sparkly" than either the big ceramic Custom or the Invader, regardless of height. It's really balanced, not overly bright or dark. I'm smitten with it right now.
              I know what you mean with the cleans. My C8 I love the cleans best clean ive ever gotten from a bridge pup I think its cause of the A8
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Thank you for being such a rad dude and doing this for me!

Comment

That's cool! So you're liking it over the BKP? I will say that my 59/C5 & 59/Jazz hybrid set easily stands up to the BKPs that I have in another guitar.

Comment

Nah, I don't really like it better, but I like it in that guitar for what I'm doing with it. If I was doing straight up death metal and doom with it, there's pretty much nothing better than the pig. The hybrid has some ironic similarities to my BK's in general, the height sensitivity, overall presence without being harsh, etc. There must be a correlation between "scatterwinding" and offset coils. It's got a little bit of that 500T/SuperD buzz-grit, which I'm sure is coming from the Custom (it has a lot of it with the big ceramic). That can be looked at as a good thing or a bad thing, I dig it myself.

I am keeping it in that guitar though, kind of a happy accident, it's the sound I didn't know I was looking for. I should have tried out Lats' pickup, I'm curious how it sounds with an A8 and the caps, but I was sick of testing stuff out as I also made a 498T/Deto. I've still gotta reverse leads, the coils are OOP and figure out what mags to put in that one.

Comment

Did you keep the additional side magnets from the Invader in either pickup? I have really been digging a JB/Custom Hybrid in one axe lately... A5 magnet... have been tempted to put a Ceramic in there to make it a little more aggressive.
                      With the A5 it retains the JB's great vocal quality without sounding too one-notey... really nails the Dokken Under Lock & Key tone even though Lynch primarily used a Distortion during that period.
                      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

awesome!!

and king izzo when i see your avatar my brain tells me that is what you look like
                        my youtube channel
                        www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
                        my Industrial music for sale here
                        http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
                        my soundcloud page
                        https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
                        my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
                        https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Comment

king when you speak of the warpig, is that the bridge with the ceramic or A5 magnet? cause they give both options for bridge.
                          i wonder which one is better, or they both could have there purpose id suppose.

Brutality with clarity: The Warpig is an extremely high output humbucker with a raw, guttural tone and smooth high-end available in two formats to fine-tune the response.
                          my youtube channel
                          www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
                          my Industrial music for sale here
                          http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
                          my soundcloud page
                          https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
                          my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
                          https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Comment

There must be a correlation between "scatterwinding" and offset coils.
                            Crusty P mentioned that to me, as he's used both hybrids and BKPs. I know my hybrids and BKPs have similar qualities, although the pups themselves are quite different.
                            Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

The hybrid has some ironic similarities to my BK's in general, ..... There must be a correlation between "scatterwinding" and offset coils.
                              Not so sure if it's correlation, but i think there are some similarities with the end result. Either scatterwound or mismatched coils (in a humbucker, obviously) seem to create what i hear as a 'three-dimensional' aspect to the sound, you can almost hear your fingers walking around on the fretboard. It's an extra dimension i don't hear with regular production pickups, but I do hear this with the scatterwound single coils (BKPs) in my Strats and I hear the same effect with the Duncan hybrids in my humbucker guitars, even though none of the Duncan coils are scatterwound.
                              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
                              X