banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickup would best suit a Jackson Kelly 5 (details inside)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickup would best suit a Jackson Kelly 5 (details inside)?

Hey there. So I'm looking to swap out the pickups in my Jackson KE5FR (exact details and specifications @ http://www.chorder.com/electric-guit...fr-kelly-2212/). I play through an ENGL Ritchie Blackmore signature 100W head, most of the time into a Marshall 1960A although for gigs it's usually a different cab every time. Strings are Ernie Ball 46's at the moment, although I'm looking to switch to 48.

I play thrash metal (strictly E standard, limited use of cleans, if any) so the JB in the bridge position just isn't cutting it for me - it sounds muddy with only the treble clearly (and annoyingly) standing out in the mud. I'm looking for a bridge pickup with a defined, tight and fat low end that isn't too heavy on the treble and doesn't have muddy mids. Of course I'm also looking to complete the pair in the neck position in case the Jazz won't go that well with the new bridge pickup. Since the ENGL has more of a chunky tone I'm looking for something to match it; the way I see it, the JB is better suited for a dirtier amp like a Peavey or a Mesa.

Any suggestions are welcome. Of course if you think I'm looking at my tone issue from the wrong angle (i.e. it's not the pickups), feel free to speak up.

For reference, this is what the music I play sounds, or rather should sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfS7cNBA4Q8 (recorded on an LTD fitted with 81/85's thru EVH head).

Thanks in advance!

Re: What pickup would best suit a Jackson Kelly 5 (details inside)?

I'm feeling a Custom, or maybe a JB8. Custom may be too much highs and not enough mids.

I hate to say this - try the JB8. Mag swap time.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Get a gatdang Duncan Distortion and be done with it.

Comment

Oh, I really hate be another one to suggest magnet swapping. If the OP is interested in it, it could be the fastest and cheapest way to get the tone he wants. If so, Aceman's suggestion of JB8 might be perfect. If he is NOT interested, then I agree wholeheartedly with CTN.

Comment

Yea you definitely want either a JB8 or Custom 8. Tight thick defined low end with lots of mids and with enough treble cut to make it shine
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help dudes. I'll definitely look into swapping the magnet, I'll see if I can have my tech do it since I'm admittedly the last person you'd want fiddling with electronics. What do you guys think about Invaders in my case? Also, I can't seem to find any examples for a JB with an A8 on YouTube; what would be the thing that sounds closest to it?

I really like how meticulously this guy did his comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqHUYIzsFCw. The clip really epitomizes what bothers me about the JB!

Comment

Have you considered a magnet swap? Try taking out the Alnico V's and drop in A8 or ceramic. Might just give you the extra crunch you want - and it's cheep!
              “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
              X