regular screws in a FS? did a search and can't find the answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regular screws in a FS? did a search and can't find the answer

can i put regular screws in a full shred?
    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Re: regular screws in a FS? did a search and can't find the answer

no reason why not.

Comment

didnt know if the threads are different or something.

Comment

unlikely

Comment

cool. guess i'm making another "duncan custom".

OR i may try it with screws in the south coil like a demon.... like a hot ass demon.... a custom/FS hybrid if you will.
          Last edited by rumblebox; 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

post some clips when you're done!

Comment

No, you can´t.

The allen head screws are "fullsize", meaning that the hole is a constant width from top to bottom. Standard filister screws on the other hand have a MUCH thinner shaft and a thick head. The screw heads will fit more or less perfectly, but the screw will have nothing to thread into unless you

A: drill and tap the baseplate (which obviously requires one that doesn´t have holes in it), or
              B: acquire a threaded spacer as is used on most pickups with filister screws. Installing this will require baseplate /bobbin disassembly.

In both cases, the screw won´t be supported between threads and head, but it will still function properly.

This assumes that SD hasn´t started using some wierd filister-style allen screws in the last few years (which I assume is not the case). If you want to be sure in under 5 minutes, simply turn one of the hex screws currently installed all the way out until it loses purchase and falls out, and look at it. If it´s the same diameter from top to bottom, then I´m right (unfortunately for you in this case).
              Last edited by Zerberus; 02-04-2013, 10:23 AM.
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Still no big deal. I have plenty of traditional base plates lying around.

EDIT: the poles dont thread into the base plate though. i've had my FS apart a few times to mag-swap, and they just go right through the base plate.
                Last edited by rumblebox; 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                  No, you can´t.

The allen head screws are "fullsize", meaning that the hole is a constant width from top to bottom. Standard filister screws on the other hand have a MUCH thinner shaft and a thick head. The screw heads will fit more or less perfectly, but the screw will have nothing to thread into unless you

A: drill and tap the baseplate (which obviously requires one that doesn´t have holes in it), or
                  B: acquire a threaded spacer as is used on most pickups with filister screws. Installing this will require baseplate /bobbin disassembly.

In both cases, the screw won´t be supported between threads and head, but it will still function properly.

This assumes that SD hasn´t started using some wierd filister-style allen screws in the last few years (which I assume is not the case). If you want to be sure in under 5 minutes, simply turn one of the hex screws currently installed all the way out until it loses purchase and falls out, and look at it. If it´s the same diameter from top to bottom, then I´m right (unfortunately for you in this case).
                  I'm pretty confident your incorrect. There's been a few guys on here that have taken out the hex screws an put them in the screw sides of different pickups.
                  My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                  Originally posted by CTN
                  I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
                    I'm pretty confident your incorrect. There's been a few guys on here that have taken out the hex screws an put them in the screw sides of different pickups.
                    Your confident yet your just regurgitating info without first hand experience?
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
                      Still no big deal. I have plenty of traditional base plates lying around.

EDIT: the poles dont thread into the base plate though. i've had my FS apart a few times to mag-swap, and they just go right through the base plate.
                      I didn´t say the current screws thread into the baseplate. I said that you need an UNDRILLED and UNTAPPED baseplate, OR a Filister Spacer. This is because the holes are, as you`ve noticed, too large to thread a filister into. Just like on, ehm, almost every traditionally-constructed Humbucker ever made. Sorry if that wasn´t initially clear.

Otherwise, the filisters will drop down to the baseplate, attract to the magnet, and force you to either fumble around endlessly to remove them, or disassemble the pickup to remove them and install the spacer that the FS does not have but every traditional filister-screwed pickup coil does.

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
                      In REVERSE as you´re suggesting its a a non issue. Simply drill the hole out to screw dimensions, if necessary knock the spacer out sideways, done. It almost takes longer to post how to do it than to actually do it. It´s easy to make a hole larger, but he has to make it smaller.

Again, assuming Duncan hasn´t changed the specs in the last few years and my memory of the FS pickup is correct. I`ve "only" owned 4 over the last 20 years and none were destined for my instruments, so others may have a bit more info if they´ve actually taken one apart themelves.

This is partly becasue of Duncan`s tending towards traditional construction. On a vintage pickup, the filister bobbin has a wider hole for the head that quickly goes down to a few mm for the shaft.

It is absolutely no problem to have just one bobbin molded for all 3 pole styles, Filister, Allen, and Big Hex, and would actually be a cost saving factor. But filister bobbinjs would no longer be "correct", and that would piss off so many people so many ways from Sunday that SD is probably pretty smart for NOT implementing that cost cutting measure. Unlike some of their competitors

Again, I COULD be completely wrong here, but to be honest it would surprise me because it contradicts everything I know about vintage PU construction as related to SD policy, as well as my (limited) experience with the PU in question....
                      Last edited by Zerberus; 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

No god dammit, the hex screws in a FS are exactly the same thread and size as a standard fillister screw, they are just shorter and have hex heads, that's the only difference.

Yes, you can swap them. The attack will be slightly duller and you'll get a bit more low end out of it.

Comment

^^ I stand corrected.

I remember them as being fullsize screws very much similar to the ones that Larry guy from NY uses, which is why it already struck me as odd that they would poke out of the bottom when Rumble posted it....

Thanks.

Comment

At least you take being corrected like a man.

You can't swap the screws in some Dimarzios (SuperD/2/3, Evo, CL, etc), but some you can (Breed, Liquifire, Fred, PAFpro, etc). Dead giveaway is the screws through the bottom, like Zerb said.

The only Duncan you can't swap is the Invader, but you can use the bigger Dimarzio SuperD type screws in one. Seems like I remember the DMZ screws not being as snug of a fit, I think maybe they're slightly different thread or something.

Duncan sized slugs pop right into the Invader though, and vice-versa, I just made Custom/Invader hybrids recently.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                              The only Duncan you can't swap is the Invader, but you can use the bigger Dimarzio SuperD type screws in one. Seems like I remember the DMZ screws not being as snug of a fit, I think maybe they're slightly different thread or something.
                              Interesting that you mention the Invader in this context, because that`s primarily where my allen /filister experience is coming from. TBH I didn´t even remember that some of the competitor`s offerings ran into the same issue (but it`s logical as soon as you look at the poles, PAF Pro for ex.). I put SuperD screws in and never looked back (I was under the impression that they worked just fine, but I alro repotted the PUs, teh wax could well have filled any gaps), and put the oversized cap screws into a PU set I was winding as an experiment.

My (apparently incorrect) memory of the FS physical makeup combined with that experience were the primary information source for my posts
                              Last edited by Zerberus; 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X