'59 With an Alnico 2 mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 With an Alnico 2 mag

Hi everybody!!! I am new to this forum, and I need some info. I want to put in both the neck and bridge of one of my Les Paul's a '59. But then one day I stumbled across on this forum somebody mentioning that a '59 with an Alnico 2 is "god's own pickup" and I now really want to do this with some 50's wiring, but at the same time would like to hear what it sounds like. Is there a demo or sound clip or Youtube video anywhere out there? I really wanna hear this thing, but worst comes to worst I'll just find out when I do it. Thanks in advance

Re: '59 With an Alnico 2 mag

Originally posted by rocknroll1385 View Post
    Hi everybody!!! I am new to this forum, and I need some info. I want to put in both the neck and bridge of one of my Les Paul's a '59. But then one day I stumbled across on this forum somebody mentioning that a '59 with an Alnico 2 is "god's own pickup" and I now really want to do this with some 50's wiring, but at the same time would like to hear what it sounds like. Is there a demo or sound clip or Youtube video anywhere out there? I really wanna hear this thing, but worst comes to worst I'll just find out when I do it. Thanks in advance
    I haven't done it yet, but it would cure the boominess of a '59N. I use UOA5's in my '59B's for the combination of warmth and sharp high end.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      I haven't done it yet, but it would cure the boominess of a '59N. I use UOA5's in my '59B's for the combination of warmth and sharp high end.
      Thanks, any input really helps, I think I'll try both and see which one I like best, but I'm almost positive the alnico 2 is going in the neck

Comment

I haven't tried an a2 59 bit I have tried an a2 in a jazz hoping that because its natural bright pickup, the a2 would only smooth out the very high end and tame the brightness a bit. The difference was night and day.
        it sounded like it did with the a5 but with the tone rolled to 0 with a .47 cap!

a2 mags have a distinct tone, very fluid and smooth. A2 neck pickups are not for everyone, not enough bite, too loose and not sharp enough for me. Also I think they are less versatile than a5 pickups because you can get a similar tone by rolling the tone back with a5 mags but you can't add treble to a2 mags. That's just my opinion and experience though. If you're into that Slash, Santana type of tone then give the a2 59 a try. I can see it being good for that kind of tone.
        our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
        'Cause all the girls are sluts,
        And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Slash is pretty much the reason I started playing guitar, I love his tone and admire it so much, my band covers a few of his songs, but at the same time I want my own distinct tone, so I think this will be a good compromise, thanks!

Comment

I like the A2 59...did it years ago for a friend looking for an EVH sounding pickup and it's a great pickup.

I am using a set of A3 59's right now myself and quite like them!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Yah, I've heard nothing but good about em, I'm really pumped to do it now

Comment

i have a pair of 59s with a2s. Love them. fat.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  i have a pair of 59s with a2s. Love them. fat.
                  Awesome, that's pretty much exactly what I want. In a video i saw on magnet swapping, they said that it takes a few days for the magnet to "settle," is this true?

Comment

I've never heard that? I've done several mag swaps within a few hours on the same pickup.
                    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      Hey blueman, What about UOA5 in '59 neck?
                      I still haven't swapped magnets on the '59.One is waiting for guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
                        I've never heard that? I've done several mag swaps within a few hours on the same pickup.
                        http://http://youtu.be/jXbzqQZu-Qk here he says it at the end, I have no idea though, I've never swapped magnets before

Comment

God dang stupid link wont work, just search on youtube How to swap a humbucker magnet and the video is by a guy named Convoystonothingness. He says it at the end

Comment

Originally posted by rocknroll1385 View Post
                            God dang stupid link wont work, just search on youtube How to swap a humbucker magnet and the video is by a guy named Convoystonothingness. He says it at the end
                            Or you could just send him a private message here. CTN is his current username since the forum upgrade didn't like the long handle, apparently. Great dude.

Anyways, regardless of whether it settles or not, I did try the 59n with A2, and I liked it a lot. It fixed all that I didn't like about the A5, but it added a new problem, mainly that I couldn't get a real distinct high end out of it. I want that high-end clarity, especially on cleans, which I use the neck for a lot, and it never gave it. It was REAL close, but never quite there. I went back to A4--no, that's not a typo--and I'm real happy with the result. I don't think I'll ever change it again.

All that being said, the A2 59n is a really great pickup. It just wasn't QUITE right for that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by flavorednation View Post
                              Hey blueman, What about UOA5 in '59 neck?
                              I've made quite a few UOA5 '59ns.

Although they sound fine, this particular magnet has a spongy low-end quality that *I* wish it didn't have. Most of my customers like it, some a lot.

It does sound great in the bridge, though.

If *I* would have the last word, my pick would be a nickel-covered, A3neck/UOA5bridge '59 set, if it should sound as "vintage" as possible.

This set sounds specially well in a semi-hollow and even better in a full-hollow.

HTH,
                              Last edited by LtKojak; 03-02-2013, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X