Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '59 With an Alnico 2 mag

Originally posted by flavorednation View Post
    Hey blueman, What about UOA5 in '59 neck?
    I'd lean towards an UOA5 in the neck too, for more bite. I like bright necks and warm bridges, so for an A2 to work in the neck for me, it needs to counteract that with a bright wind or unbalanced coils. That gives the best of both worlds, a 'big' sound from the mids and a sharp high end.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

We have a similar tone preference for neck and bridge(not too warm for me) blueman!

Thanks for the suggestions
      Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      I'd lean towards an UOA5 in the neck too, for more bite. I like bright necks and warm bridges, so for an A2 to work in the neck for me, it needs to counteract that with a bright wind or unbalanced coils. That gives the best of both worlds, a 'big' sound from the mids and a sharp high end.
      Thanks LtKojak.If for example I'd use a '59 bridge in the neck (same EQ with '59N right, only overwound?) would there be a noticeable change in overall sound, A5, UOA5, have you tried one in the neck?
      Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
      I've made quite a few UOA5 '59ns.

Although they sound fine, this particular magnet has a spongy low-end quality that *I* wish it didn't have. Most of my customers like it, some a lot.

It does sound great in the bridge, though.

If *I* would have the last word, my pick would be a nickel-covered, A3neck/UOA5bridge '59 set, if it should sound as "vintage" as possible.

This set sounds specially well in a semi-hollow and even better in a full-hollow.

HTH,

Comment

why not zoidberg?

uhm... alnico 3.like an a2 only a bit more treble and clarity.

if an a4?

Comment

The Custom 5 is like a higher output 59 so I think the A2 59 will be like a Custom Custom with less output.

Comment

I had a set of unpotted 59's with A2's in a Warmoth custom mahogany tele i built and it was awesome.
            Warmed that guitar up real nice and very vintage sounding.

Comment

Now I'm curious, how much would an A2 59 be different than an AII Pro? Specs are pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
                I haven't tried an a2 59 bit I have tried an a2 in a jazz hoping that because its natural bright pickup, the a2 would only smooth out the very high end and tame the brightness a bit. The difference was night and day.
                it sounded like it did with the a5 but with the tone rolled to 0 with a .47 cap!

a2 mags have a distinct tone, very fluid and smooth. A2 neck pickups are not for everyone, not enough bite, too loose and not sharp enough for me. Also I think they are less versatile than a5 pickups because you can get a similar tone by rolling the tone back with a5 mags but you can't add treble to a2 mags. That's just my opinion and experience though. If you're into that Slash, Santana type of tone then give the a2 59 a try. I can see it being good for that kind of tone.
                I've been intrigued by an A2 Jazz, as people say the stock Jazz is very clear and articulate which sounds great, but I'm afraid of it not having enough mids for me. The Jazz tone chart EQ is 5 / 3 / 9 which looks WAY too scooped for me. Would an A2 make it more like ~4 / ~6 / ~8?

Comment

I believe there is a slight difference in Dc resistance, correct me if im wrong but i believe the alnico 2 pro bridge is somwhere around 7.8 k or so and the '59 is around 8.13. I think the alnico 2 pro neck has slightly more than a '59 neck. Although yoi are right, they would be pretty close in specs, i think ill probably still just switch the magnets in the '59 anyway because I have nothing better to do

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                    I've been intrigued by an A2 Jazz, as people say the stock Jazz is very clear and articulate which sounds great, but I'm afraid of it not having enough mids for me. The Jazz tone chart EQ is 5 / 3 / 9 which looks WAY too scooped for me. Would an A2 make it more like ~4 / ~6 / ~8?
                    i use an a2 jazz in my 175. Its good for a full hollow because being hollow the guitar has plenty of bass, so the jazz being a bit lighter on the low end than a 59 is a good match to avoid low end feedback. The a2 is really sweet with that pickup in that guitar - it fills in the mids and smooths off the top end without having to roll off the tone control.
                    In a semi tho, i think a 59 a2 is better because 335's don't have the natural fat lows of a full hollow due to the maple core so the extended bass of a 59 is a good match.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-02-2013, 10:16 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Now I'm curious, how much would an A2 59 be different than an AII Pro? Specs are pretty close.
                      Exactly what specs are you referring to?

You know, not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured matters...
                      Last edited by LtKojak; 03-03-2013, 12:50 AM.

Comment

The DCR. I know they're "printed" very close, but so are all the Custom series, and we know those are all the same coils with different mags. I figured an AII Pro is a 59 with A2 mags.

Maybe not.

Comment

Man, this turned out to be an awesome thread, learned a lot! Thanks guys!!!

Comment

I have an UOA5 in the bridge and an A2 with 500K pots in the neck of my Les Paul and it makes that guitar sing! Perfect for vintage stuff and blues with great harmonics. Before this guitar was really dark and muddy, the '59 with the magnets changed has made all the difference. A3 could sound good, but I had the A2 handy so I did that.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              The DCR. I know they're "printed" very close, but so are all the Custom series, and we know those are all the same coils with different mags. I figured an AII Pro is a 59 with A2 mags.

Maybe not.
                              The coil geometry, which gives the p'up its "tone footprint", in the case of a '59 and an APH1 are almost polar opposites.

The '59 is vocal and articulated, the APH1 is silky smooth. And this so considering both p'ups having A2 magnets.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                                The coil geometry, which gives the p'up its "tone footprint", in the case of a '59 and an APH1 are almost polar opposites.

The '59 is vocal and articulated, the APH1 is silky smooth. And this so considering both p'ups having A2 magnets.

HTH,
                                It should be a sticky that matching/similar DCR and the same magnets DO NOT create the same pickup! People ALWAYS ignore the fact that the wind pattern and tension has EVERYTHING to do with how to pickup sounds. An A5 Distortion is NOT going to be a JB, because the wind patterns are DIFFERENT. They may be similar, but they are different, and not the same pickup.

Comment

Working...
                                X