banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimarzio super 2, what do they sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio super 2, what do they sound like?

i have a basswood ibanez rg with a tone zone in the bridge. im looking for a pickup to put in the neck to give me a brighter tone in the neck. a friend suggested a super 2, i have never heard one and i cant find clips of one in the neck spot. does anyone haveany experience with this pickup or can make a suggestion for a dimarzio that would brighten up the neck spot. thanks!!

Re: Dimarzio super 2, what do they sound like?

I had one in the neck - its a brighter version of the super distortion. If you like the sound of the SD, then you'll probably like the Super 2.

Comment

It sounds like a Super Distortion except it has more treble presence and less bass. It is just like you turned the tone knob on a stereo from bass to treble. Most people use it for neck position but you can use it for bridge on a dark guitar.

Comment

The idea of a ceramic in neck position isn't exactly alluring...though I'm sure it works alright, especially since it's been around for 35+ years. Love to try it with a degaussed A8 someday, or A4, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by CloneRanger View Post
          The idea of a ceramic in neck position isn't exactly alluring...though I'm sure it works alright, especially since it's been around for 35+ years. Love to try it with a degaussed A8 someday, or A4, maybe.
          There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Ceramic magnet in a neck pickup. Quite a few time-proven pickups use Ceramic mags in the neck position...

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
            There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Ceramic magnet in a neck pickup. Quite a few time-proven pickups use Ceramic mags in the neck position...
            Alright masta' c, what's your favorite ceramic neck p'up?

Comment

Both the Gravity storm and the Evo are great neck pickups that I really dig that use ceramics. Ive even used the Super D as a neck pickup before and gotten great results.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I've heard it's awesome in the neck. A lot of guys used it in the 80's for chimey cleans. It also splits well apparently.

And don't be afraid of ceramic in the neck... Most of my favorite neck buckers are ceramic.

Comment

Alright masta' c, what's your favorite ceramic neck p'up?
                  Evolution Neck, SH-6n (Distortion Neck), Parallel Axis stack, Dominion, Rockfield Mafia, etc.

It's not hard finding a nice, clear and articulate neck pickup I like that also uses a ceramic mag.

And, as you can see, lots of props are going out to a Super 2 in the neck from other members. Maybe you should give the "Ceramic in the neck" a try yourself

Comment

The stock pickup in my Ibby SA 120 ( AH 5 if I am not wrong) had a very surprisingly good clear tone.
                    sigpic
                    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                    JFG Flying V,
                    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      Evolution Neck, SH-6n (Distortion Neck), Parallel Axis stack, Dominion, Rockfield Mafia, etc.

It's not hard finding a nice, clear and articulate neck pickup I like that also uses a ceramic mag.

And, as you can see, lots of props are going out to a Super 2 in the neck from other members. Maybe you should give the "Ceramic in the neck" a try yourself
                      You really have five ceramic neck p'ups as favorites? Plus "etc.", whatever that is... I note that what people like about them is clarity and articulation, and I'm sure they have that. Some Alnico fans are scared of putting an A8 in the neck because the strength of a fully charged A8 might interfere with sustain; Any "Stratitis" issues with a ceramic neck?

My current fave is a 5.1K superlow gauss A2, just for ref. Intimate, 3-D sounding, it's has to be along way from any of your ceramics. But I ought to try one at least, sometime

Comment

; Any "Stratitis" issues with a ceramic neck?
                        No thats not an issue with humbuckers the bar mag under the coils affects the strings much less than the rod magnets that are very close to the strings.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You really have five ceramic neck p'ups as favorites? Plus "etc.", whatever that is... I note that what people like about them is clarity and articulation, and I'm sure they have that. Some Alnico fans are scared of putting an A8 in the neck because the strength of a fully charged A8 might interfere with sustain; Any "Stratitis" issues with a ceramic neck?

My current fave is a 5.1K superlow gauss A2, just for ref. Intimate, 3-D sounding, it's has to be along way from any of your ceramics. But I ought to try one at least, sometime
                          The OP has a 24-fret basswood super-strat and he's trying to "brighten" up the neck. The pickup also has to keep up with the output of his Tone Zone bridge.

If you're used to Strats with a heavily degaussed A2 single coil in the neck, you should probably steer clear of ceramic neck pickups in general. The "degaussed A8" you mentioned sounds interesting, but, even then, the pull and output would be much higher than your low-gauss A2.

I, myself, don't have a "favorite" neck pickup. There are several A2/A5 models I have enjoyed, as well, and even an A3 humbucker that rocked hard! Just depends on what mood I'm in and what I'm looking for in a particular guitar.

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          No thats not an issue with humbuckers the bar mag under the coils affects the strings much less than the rod magnets that are very close to the strings.
                          THIS

Comment

The OP might consider the Humbucker From Hell also.

The curious fact remains that no manufacturer/winder anywhere offers an A8 neck p'up, which is a shame, because it sounds beautiful and distinctive, just like any other alnico.

Comment

Working...
                            X