duncan 78 in alder with a OFR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: duncan 78 in alder with a OFR?

didn't want to start another thread on the 78, so I thought I'd add on here.....

last year at the Dallas guitar show, MJ really kept pushing me toward the 78 model. but she said it was low output, which scared me off, as I've always gravitated toward the high output pickups. also, the A2 magnet was something that I'd not had very good experience with in the past... of course, I picked up a RTM last year (which has led to a total of five RTMs! lol!). I'd also happened across a CC which I'd put in a Kramer Stagemaster with arch-top maple neck-thru, alder wings and ebony board with an OFR and I was liking that in there.

so this year, there was another 78 and it was f-spaced and it was zebra and it was 4-con. darn, if MJ didn't have me in a headlock with specs like that. then after buying some other CS pickups, she lowers the boom with a deal on the 78, so I was all out of excuses and ended up getting it. lemme tell you, she drives a hard bargain. lol!

now, I'm not a huge VH fan. sure, I like Ed's stuff and he's always an inspiration, but VH is not something I'm always playing when I jam. but closer to the same sort of stuff as 51501984 (above) - 80s high-gain cock-rock. I pulled that CC from that Kramer Stagey and put the 78 in there. man, I really dig it. Boomer was also there and telling me how much more open sounding it is, and he is right. for a comparison, it's in there with Hot Rails in the middle and neck and it's not overpowered by them. I'm sure someone can come along and get all technical and all that sort of thing, but the perception is that it's pretty even across all those pickups. it's tighter on the bottom end than I expected and the harmonics and squeals and the pinches all jump right out in a way that's a little more sweet than shrill, while still cutting through. the same applies for the highs... they will come through without taking the top of your head off with a shimmering sweet quality that I also like about the RTM.

so is it better than the CC? or from a CS perspective, is it better than the RTM? well, those comparisons are just silly. what is 'better' anyway? however... does it sound good? yep! would I suggest it to someone? yep! am I glad I got it? yep? should I have just gotten it last year? oh, heck yeah! lol! should you ever doubt whatever MJ suggests? er... nope.

now, I'm still a huge JB fan and am not going to start filling every guitar with a 78 (although I think I said the same thing a year ago about the RTM! lol!). but I'm liking it and it's a very nice addition to the stable and I really don't see a need or a desire to move it from where it is unless I get something else another guitar that might be a good match... but then I just might end up getting another 78 before I move this one. haha! alright, let's not get carried away....again! lol!

Comment

Love the 78 a LOT better than the CC in an alder superstrat. I had a CC in this guitar, WAY too loose and muddy in the lows. Put in a 78 and love it for VH and overdriven classic rock sounds. Clean yet crunchy and lots of harmonics.

It has a OFR with FU brass block is awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03667.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	5768059

Comment

Oh man....all this talk about the 78 is really gettin me Jonesin for one!
        Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
          didn't want to start another thread on the 78, so I thought I'd add on here.....

last year at the Dallas guitar show, MJ really kept pushing me toward the 78 model. but she said it was low output, which scared me off, as I've always gravitated toward the high output pickups. also, the A2 magnet was something that I'd not had very good experience with in the past... of course, I picked up a RTM last year (which has led to a total of five RTMs! lol!). I'd also happened across a CC which I'd put in a Kramer Stagemaster with arch-top maple neck-thru, alder wings and ebony board with an OFR and I was liking that in there.

so this year, there was another 78 and it was f-spaced and it was zebra and it was 4-con. darn, if MJ didn't have me in a headlock with specs like that. then after buying some other CS pickups, she lowers the boom with a deal on the 78, so I was all out of excuses and ended up getting it. lemme tell you, she drives a hard bargain. lol!

now, I'm not a huge VH fan. sure, I like Ed's stuff and he's always an inspiration, but VH is not something I'm always playing when I jam. but closer to the same sort of stuff as 51501984 (above) - 80s high-gain cock-rock. I pulled that CC from that Kramer Stagey and put the 78 in there. man, I really dig it. Boomer was also there and telling me how much more open sounding it is, and he is right. for a comparison, it's in there with Hot Rails in the middle and neck and it's not overpowered by them. I'm sure someone can come along and get all technical and all that sort of thing, but the perception is that it's pretty even across all those pickups. it's tighter on the bottom end than I expected and the harmonics and squeals and the pinches all jump right out in a way that's a little more sweet than shrill, while still cutting through. the same applies for the highs... they will come through without taking the top of your head off with a shimmering sweet quality that I also like about the RTM.

so is it better than the CC? or from a CS perspective, is it better than the RTM? well, those comparisons are just silly. what is 'better' anyway? however... does it sound good? yep! would I suggest it to someone? yep! am I glad I got it? yep? should I have just gotten it last year? oh, heck yeah! lol! should you ever doubt whatever MJ suggests? er... nope.

now, I'm still a huge JB fan and am not going to start filling every guitar with a 78 (although I think I said the same thing a year ago about the RTM! lol!). but I'm liking it and it's a very nice addition to the stable and I really don't see a need or a desire to move it from where it is unless I get something else another guitar that might be a good match... but then I just might end up getting another 78 before I move this one. haha! alright, let's not get carried away....again! lol!
          I'm stoked that you are digging the '78 model man... on one hand it is sooo versatile and on the other can cop brown sounds very easily with the right set-up. I love it's single coil sonic qualities and it's nice and moderately high output probably the most... I finally dragged out my tube amps and a bunch of borrowed pedals and was greeted by heaps of beautiful tone. MJ does great work doesn't she? It must have been really cool to meet her... she's a rock star in her own right.

Originally posted by MUguy View Post
          Love the 78 a LOT better than the CC in an alder superstrat. I had a CC in this guitar, WAY too loose and muddy in the lows. Put in a 78 and love it for VH and overdriven classic rock sounds. Clean yet crunchy and lots of harmonics.

It has a OFR with FU brass block is awesome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41463[/ATTACH]
          I totally agree... not a Pearly Gates and kicks a Custom Custom's ass all the way down the street. I don't have a big brass block but sprang for a brass claw recently and I can hear a slight change in the harmonic content... maybe a little fundamental with a tick less harmonics? I think it helped focus the sound a bit.

Originally posted by J E C View Post
          Oh man....all this talk about the 78 is really gettin me Jonesin for one!
          Hopefully I will take that jonesin' to another level...

I just did another recording with the '78 Model. I did it with high quality tube amplifiers and a microphone instead of the digital modeling set-up that I had for the video review I did a few of months ago.

I'll update the review thread ASAP.
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Played through the 78 a little more today (and had to give a little time to the RTM I put in the MIJ Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod). It's really settling in pretty well. I played along with some tracks and it fit in well while still being able to jump out when you want it to.

Had to try a few VH riffs, but since my rig isn't set up for that vibe I obviously don't get the same results. lol! But I can see where it would lend itself to that style even better than the CC

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

chords come out "crunchy" without being muddy and individually picked notes stay really clear and sharp, bright but in a good way. It does harmonics really well, both pinched and tapped harmonics.

Prime example between VH songs is Unchained. The parts on the low E and A strings sounded WAY too muddy and lost with the CC, but they jumped out, especially the pinched harmonics parts, with the 78.

Comment

How do you guys think the 78 would fair in lower tunings? Think C standard and drop B.....I'm in love with the clips I've heard in standard but I'm always in something lower than that.....

Comment

I think some of the characteristics that MUguy is talking about could lend itself well.

And think of it this way. If you buy it from SD, you can always return it for a swap. Better yet, the CS pups retain their value better than the production lines and you'd not have any trouble moving something like the 78 model (if it's f-spaced and zebra, contact me first. haha!)

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

The way I describe the 78 Model is "chewy". I played one of Lew's MIJ Squier Strats several years back at a Dallas Guitar Show and man, that guitar sang. Loved the tone from the 78. It's up there as one of my favs but I think my next Custom Shop model is going to either be a RTM or another Brobucker.

Comment

Have you tried a RTM? If not, that could be a good way to go. Some of that chewy low and sweet highs of the 78 with the output and grind of a JB.

Comment

I have not but I'm a huge DeMartini fan and have a few JB's. Something tells me I'd really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          I have not but I'm a huge DeMartini fan and have a few JB's. Something tells me I'd really like it.
                          Same here. I like Ratt for what they are, but I've never really gotten into trying play like DiMartini. Id not have even tried the RTM if not for MJ last year. The same as the 78 this year. Someone mentioned something about how she does the winding on pickups in general that have a lot to do with it.

Comment

She has the magic touch.

Comment

Working...
                            X