Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tribute to MJ wound Alnico II pro from 1986 to 2013

Originally posted by timsdun View Post
    Then why did seymour say enamel here: "We wind the APH bobbins with 42-gauge plain enamel magnet wire, just like the original P.A.F. pickups."
    from this interview: http://www2.gibson.com/news-lifestyl...o-%281%29.aspx

But then he goes on to say: "The APH is similar in many ways to the Jazz Model humbuckers, but obviously, using an alnico II magnet."

it looks shiny to me like the jazz wire, and not dark like enamel, so seymour is confused, as APH cant be enamel then?
    I'm going up on a limb and say that the journalist completely botched the editing, and put together info of '59s or Custom Shop p'ups with the info about the APH1.

Generally speaking, I'd say most things published in Gibson's site are wrong, and you should absolutely NOT trust anything written there.

HTH,

Comment

I always thought that people got it the wrong way and MJ was misreported. AFAICH the APH1 shares coils with the '59, not the Jazz. I did not do a visual inspection, though.

Comment

No, it's 100% confirmed public domain knowledge that the AIIPro humbucker shares the same coils as the Jazz.

Bottom line there is no way (I mean like 100% not possible) that Seymour himself would make a mistake like that; that he would say those things. This is either an overreach on the part of Gibson while they were writing an article, or someone from Seymour Duncan made the mistake acting on behalf of Seymour. (Referred to as "ghost writing") I've seen other older supposed Seymour quotes or interviews where the Alnico II Pro is mistakenly referred to as one of the Plain Enamel pickups that are wound on the Leesona, and it's confirmed public knowledge that they are not. So basically it's the same mis-statement, probably by the same person, and not Seymour or MJ.

Just trying to make sure this thread doesn't go sideways with weird theories about old vs. new, secret conspiracies, etc

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
          Just trying to make sure this thread doesn't go sideways with weird theories about old vs. new, secret conspiracies, etc
          So with this you are confirming that there are differences between new and old and there some sort of conspiracy of disinformation going on? A deliberate attempt to subvert the user base!

I kid! I kid!
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            there some sort of conspiracy of disinformation going on?
            Yes, it's called Internet mindless parroting.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              Yes, it's called Internet mindless parroting.
              parroting would at least give us the correct information when it comes around. We arent even given that, Its funny how in a digital copy paste environment information can get passed with the accuracy of a middle school rumor.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                So with this you are confirming that there are differences between new and old and there some sort of conspiracy of disinformation going on? A deliberate attempt to subvert the user base!

I kid! I kid!
                Hah! Look, all I'm saying is that if there's one single AIIPro humbucker out there wound with Plain Enamel wire, Bigfoot has it on the set of the fake moon landing.

Comment

Jazz and aph are 100% the same except for the magnet.

But there is one difference.
                  We can only compare MJ to MJ.
                  The ones done by Lydia during the late 80s are few.

Late 70s ivory colored jazz bobbins with the orange poly no logo evolved into the no logo cream bobbin with orange poly wire.
                  In 83 the big logo cream bobbin went to bright red poly.
                  The orange wire apear from time to time until 86.
                  In 86 the aph and jazz got the deep red wire.
                  So in this era they look 100% the same and got identical specs ex. Magnet.
                  In 88 small logo appears and wire is blood red.
                  The cream bobbin become Brighter in color.
                  89-90 Short leg small logo.
                  Different bobbin material.
                  Ring around the square hole appears.

Comment

Thread alive!

A few months ago, a funny thing happened. I have a 1988 LP Custom that i have had since i was 16. When i got it, the bridge pickup was a JB (most likely a JBJ) and at that time, i wasnt getting into the tone. I put a Gibson 500T in to replace it. The neck pickup i always thought was stock, since it had gold screw polepieces. Never bothered taking it out. I finally took it out and low and behold, its an old APH1NJ! I was totally happy to find this discovery.

I noticed that the magnet is a smooth-cast. did the APH-1's ever come with rough-cast magnets?
                    Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                    Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Here are mine. Posted in my thread as well, but thought they should be in here for good measure as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SD APH1 Set (4).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	5805204
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	SD APH1 Set (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	5805205

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwiguitar View Post
                        Here are mine. Posted in my thread as well, but thought they should be in here for good measure as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86946[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]86947[/ATTACH]

Hi guys!

Both the zebra and the black aph posted above might be 1989ish. Late 88 maby.

Difference is bobbin material/size and smaller logo.
                        1986/87 Big logo S should start at the bobbin mounting screw.

Nice mint condition pickups.
                        Last edited by gibsonclassic2001; 02-22-2018, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Comment

Tinypic is gone. It might be hard to get all research pictures back to this post

Still got 20+ vintage Mj aph so i might be able to fix this issue.

My Afd170 with aph1nj/bj

Last edited by gibsonclassic2001; 10-20-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing an APH1NJ pickup, and ideally a set with the APH1BJ too. I don't care about bobbin color, but I do care about unmodified / decent condition pickups. I'm willing to pay very well. Please let me know if anyone has / has a lead on this type of pickup. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jj77 View Post
                                Hi, I'm interested in purchasing an APH1NJ pickup, and ideally a set with the APH1BJ too. I don't care about bobbin color, but I do care about unmodified / decent condition pickups. I'm willing to pay very well. Please let me know if anyone has / has a lead on this type of pickup. Thanks!
                                Welcome to the forum!
                                You can post this request in our "The Trading Post" section to have it seen by more people.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X