JB8 vs. C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB8 vs. C8

Wondering about the differences between these two pickups.

What's the EQ like on each? Which ones tighter? Which is more versatile? Which is hotter? What's better for rhythm? For lead?

It seems like everyone on this thread raves about how the Custom 8 is perfect in a SG. Which would suit a Les Paul style guitar more?

What neck pickups what suit the sound of each pickup the best?

Thanks for the insight guys.

Re: JB8 vs. C8

Keep in mind, these are my opinions only and others might have different experiences that don't necessarily match up to mine.

EQ (Bass/low mids/upper mids/highs): C8 - 7/9/7/6. JB8 - 6/7/8/6
    Tighter: JB8, easily, but I think it also depends on the guitar it's in.
    More versatile: C8, because of the somewhat PAF-ish voiced wind. It can cover a lot of ground, whereas the JB8 I find to be a snarling bulldog most of the time, and begs to be played with lots of gain/distortion.
    Hotter: JB8
    Rhythm/Lead: they're both good for both rhythm and lead. The JB8 does have those very in-your-face upper mids, even with the A8, which makes it exceptionally good for leads, but the tight percussive bottom end also makes it great for rhythms. On the other hand the openness of the C8s mids gives it a different, but still singing lead voice, and the thumpy low-mids make for some killer rhythm sounds.

People here have used the C8 in LPs and loved them. The nice thing about the A8 magnet is that it is a balanced sounding magnet, so they're really quite at home in almost any guitar. I don't recall seeing any opinions about the JB8 in an LP, but perhaps someone will chime in here.

Good neck pickups: for either one, something with a balanced EQ is gonna be a good match (reason being since the C8 and JB8 are so balanced in the EQ, switching to a balanced EQ neck pickup means you don't have to fiddle around with amp or pedal settings much. If you had a scooped-mids neck pickup, and you trimmed the mids on your amp to compensate for the thick, rich sound of the C8/JB8, then once you switch to the neck pickup you'll have way too little mids in your sound and it'll sound boomy and inarticulate). The '59 with an A4 mag is pretty popular here, but you could really use any neck pickup of your choice. I've used the C8 with a Little '59 in the neck and they are a good match. I also use the JB8 with a bridge model Hot Rails, wired in parallel, and that too makes a great match.
    Last edited by CTN; 05-11-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick and thorough response CTN. I have an Explorer and an LP in need of a pup swap, so now I just need to figure out what I want to do with each.

While we're on the subject of A8's, has anybody tried the 59/C Hybrid with an A8? Seems like that would be a winner on paper.

Comment

I currently use a C8 in the bridge and a PGn with a UOA5 mag. I have never used a JB so I can't really compare. But the C8 IMHO is a VERY versatile pup. It handles gain well has a nice crunch and a nice low mid growl to it which is what I like to hear in a pup and amp. What I truly admire about this pup is that it sound great when on the clean channel which is hard to find in a lot of bridge pups. The mid structure is very unique to this pup it has a nice openness to it but is still full sounding. Has a great lead voice and a rounded high end that can scream but won't pierce your ears. I almost forget how hot this pup actually is till I try to roll back the vol and play it clean and I really have to control my picking. It's not super hot but it's on the upper end of the medium output scale. Just FYI my set up is a Alder body super strat, OFR with a big brass block and my amp is a Blackstar HT 40 with EL34s.
        Originally posted by KBliss
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        Originally posted by trevorus
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by EET_FUK
          Wondering about the differences between these two pickups.What's the EQ like on each? Which ones tighter? Which is more versatile? Which is hotter? What's better for rhythm? For lead?
          I've used both in a Music Man before. The Custom 8 seems to combine the best attributes of both the Custom 5 and the regular Custom... the power and tightness of the latter with the Alnico-flavored crunch and sag of the former. Very smooth mids and highs, and tight, deep bass.

The JB8 is more aggressive and much hotter (mine read more than 17k) but it smooths out the highs and tightens and extends the lows overall. The mids are more present than the Custom 8.

From what I remember on both pickups, to my ears the BMT eq on the C8 would be 6/6/7 and the JB would be 6/8/8. Output on a 1-10 scale for me would be a 7 for the C8 and an 8 or 9 from the JB8.

They're both about the same on low end response though I'd give a slight edge to the Custom 8. Versatility... I think the Custom 8 would have the edge due to the JB8 being too hot for some things, but the JB8 does sound better split. I'd choose the C8 for rhythm and the JB8 for lead.

It seems like everyone on this thread raves about how the Custom 8 is perfect in a SG. Which would suit a Les Paul style guitar more?
          If I eventually put a Duncan in my EC1000 ( a roughly LP style axe) I've chosen the Custom 8 if it comes to that.

What neck pickups what suit the sound of each pickup the best?
          I've never really found a Duncan neck bucker that I really gelled with, so I might be the wrong guy to ask on this. However, I'm told the '59 with an A4 or UOA5 magnet would be a good place to start.
          Last edited by B2D; 05-12-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Have used them both. I found the A8 mag to punch up the tone curve up a notch and the perceived volume up a notch on both models. So if you are familiar with the JB and the Custom, you'll have an idea of what you'll get. Since neither models were designed with the A8 in mind, they seemed like ear candy at first but it wasn't very long before the over-saturated tones gave my ears some cavities.

My tastes lean toward pickups that are designed 'for' and 'around' the A8, like the Duncan Alt-8 or the DMT Blazebucker.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO a good neck pup to match with a C8 is either a 59 or PGn with a4 or UOA5. But thats just my preference. I like neck buckers that are full and thick but still clear and can cut with the high end and can sing when I push the gain a bit. Think of Eric Johnson but more rounded on the high end and a lil fuller. I would say slash but at times I think his neck tone is a bit to thick at times.
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                Since neither models were designed with the A8 in mind, they seemed like ear candy at first but it wasn't very long before the over-saturated tones gave my ears some cavities.
                This is something I forgot... the JB8 really fatiqued my ears after a while. The C8 did not.

Comment

I don't see what people mean by the C8 or JB8 fatigues peoples ears? I love the sound of my C8 clean and overdriven. I always wanted to test drive it through something super high gain like a messa dual rec to really put it through its paces.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                    I don't see what people mean by the C8 or JB8 fatigues peoples ears?
                    With my JB8 is was like this:

1st night of having the JB8 in: "Wooohoooo!!! This is friggen awesome!! Holy crap this pickup is insane!!"

After a month or two:
                    "Jesus, this thing is really hot. I think I need something with less output. Anyone got any fresh earplugs? I need to turn the treble down on the amp, too."
                    Last edited by B2D; 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Lol that's why I said that the JB8 is a snarling bulldog pretty much all the time. God help you if you want to tone it down and play some mellow easy going music. IT WON'T LET YOU!!!! hahaha.

Sounds damn damn good for metal though.

Comment

OHH I see. I kinda feel that way a lil bit about my C8 at sometimes BUT once I play out at a venue I my opinion changes. But then again my amp is kind of dark or at least I set it up that way. But I agree about the output if I put to much gain it's hard to get it to clean up or if I hit to hard on the clean channel it starts to break up which is good at times not so much at others.

Comment

yeah the C8 cleans up a bit better and imo sounds better with low to medium gain.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                            With my JB8 is was like this:

1st night of having the JB8 in: "Wooohoooo!!! This is friggen awesome!! Holy crap this pickup is insane!!"

After a month or two:
                            "Jesus, this thing is really hot. I think I need something with less output. Anyone got any fresh earplugs? I need to turn the treble down on the amp, too."
                            This was EXACTLY my experience. I'm really happy with the Custom 8. It maintains clarity, has a huge roar, and cleans up nicely. The DD8, which I'll use interchangeably with JB8, even though they differ slightly, could not be tamed. You want something that's not snarling and chunky, forget it. And I couldn't get reasonable pick dynamics with it either. The Custom 8 sounds great for rhythm, lead, and clean.

Comment

very cool review! i hope to soon swap A8 into my JB 7-string that's in mahogany...

Comment

Working...
                              X