Any Dimebucker users? Opportunity to buy one but I'd love some input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Dimebucker users? Opportunity to buy one but I'd love some input

Saw today a Dimebucker on CL locally for sale. Before I contact the seller I'd love some opinions of current & past Dimebucker users. For the record, I may put it in an alder guitar or one of my solidbody mahogany LP knock offs. Opinions?

Re: Any Dimebucker users? Opportunity to buy one but I'd love some input

I just sold one that came in a guitar I bought. It sounded like a high-output humbucker. Pretty much exactly like the guitar's stock JB that I put back in. Very little treble, lots of volume, and lots of compression/mush. It was perhaps slightly more articulate than the JB, but not anything worth writing home about. So I basically view the Dimebucker as a bladed JB in terms of tone.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'm a long time JB fan myself. So, I'm thinking a more metal version of the JB?

Comment

No way. Has WAY fewer mids than the JB.

More like a less compressed, passive EMG 81 in my experience.

Comment

It has a very aggressive low end that is not as tight as the Distortion but tighter than something like say the JB. Absolutely brutal for palm mutes. It has a mid scope, but has very biting highs. It's great for high gain work and shred type solos but can also sing. It is a very cool pick up, but it definitely has a distinct tone. No matter what you dial in on your amp (high gain, low gain, clean, etc.), you're going to sound like you're playing a Dimebucker.

Comment

Do they clean up well with the guitars vol pot? How to they sound coil tapped?

Comment

Well, there's your answer: it depends on who is using it.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Besides the fact the cl seller didn't accept my offer the overall impression I'm getting is it's a one trick pony. In the hands of Dime it may be magic but not quite what I'm looking for I think.

Comment

Originally posted by jpistolas View Post
                  Thanks for the input guys. Besides the fact the cl seller didn't accept my offer the overall impression I'm getting is it's a one trick pony. In the hands of Dime it may be magic but not quite what I'm looking for I think.
                  Dime never really used it even he wasn't really satisfied with the pup and went back to his Bill Lawrence Pup. But I think he kept the 59 in the neck though.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    IPretty much exactly like the guitar's stock JB that I put back in. Very little treble
                    That's surprising, as the JB is friggin' notorious for having an ear-bleeding excess of highs. (Listen to "Bark at the Moon.") Check the wiring on your guitar -- you may have a capacitor wired to ground somewhere.
                    "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

From my experience: Awesome harmonics, high output, and notalby good cleans for a high output pickup. However, I wouldn't used it in relatively bright woods (like I did), becuase the treble is a little too much and it doesn't have the mid range kick it would have in a warm wood . Bass response is relatively consistent, though.

Comment

The dimebucker is a very tight, sharp, high output humbucker. Definitely a one trick pony, but it does metal very well with the right amp.

It especially stays tight at high volumes when the power tubes are starting to cook a bit.
                        Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Remember - Dimes amp is mostly solid state Randall. I can see that type of pup working there.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by jafo View Post
                            That's surprising, as the JB is friggin' notorious for having an ear-bleeding excess of highs. (Listen to "Bark at the Moon.") Check the wiring on your guitar -- you may have a capacitor wired to ground somewhere.
                            Nope. I know how to wire a guitar, and it's a characteristic of all JBs I've ever played, not just this one. High output pickups in general are that way IME.

"Bark at the Moon" is very far from trebly tone to my ears.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM.
                            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by jafo View Post
                              I believe you're confusing highs with upper mids.

The Dimebucker is really the only Duncan pup I didn't like at all.
                              IMO, it is to hi-fi with little to no "character" to it.
                              As said above, I also agree that it's best (only) environment is in a thick slab
                              of mahogany and 24.75" scale.
                              With that being said, I will never try one again..

But, I also find the Full Shred too bright for my tastes.
                              So keep that in mind if/when considering my opinion/experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X