Any Dimebucker users? Opportunity to buy one but I'd love some input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Dimebucker users? Opportunity to buy one but I'd love some input

The dimebucker i think usually gets a bad rap, but my buddy has or in the bridge of his V and its badass. Tons of highs and harmonics. Very tight and clear. It is LOUD and SENSITIVE too, louder than an emg 81. It can cause some feedback issues which could be good or bad depending on what you play, like if you USE the feed back. Otherwise you gotta watch the gain with this one, you wont need much. Its cleans are very impressive for the beast it is too, not the BEST but theyre a unique kind of clean. Very twangy and poppy, finger style country players dream, really gotta findthe sweet spots on the volume knob though. Its a very fun pickup to have, it certainly favors more mid and bass oriented instruments and amps. Cool thing is because of the blades, you dont lose volume when bending away from the polepieces either, which is a plus. This thing is a LEAD pickup. Straight up. Period. Its rhythms are cool in a thrash sort of way but otherwise most rhythm stuff you do with it is sub par. Thats why people usually pair it with a 59 or more vintage pickup in the neck to keep the guitar from being so much of a one trick pony. Very underrated pickup. If you work with it, itll work wonders. Its not so much of a "drop it in and everythig sounds better" pickup, but what you get out of it will be very rewarding.

Comment

Rude, trebly, articulate, loud.

Best in mahogany IMO. It may have went well with your LP knockoff.

Comment

I have an Epi Lp Custom, all mahogany, that I tried at least 5 different pickups in and couldn't find one that I liked. It was very lightweight for an LP and was all mids. The Dimebucker was the pickup that finally made it sound great. Personally I love the Dimebucker, but like all pickups it has its place.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
          Rude, trebly, articulate, loud.

Best in mahogany IMO. It may have went well with your LP knockoff.
          That about describes it. It's got sort of a slightly scooped sound to it. Those Keith Merrow demo vids are pretty accurate in how it compares to other pickups.

A guy I knew had one installed in his Les Paul Custom and it was just vicious. It also yielded a nice syrupy twang when you backed off of the volume on a dirty tone.

Comment

If you want hot in an LP go with a X2N.....

Comment

Just think about who the pup is designed for and the guitar it was meant to go in his Dean ML and his Wash Burn Razorbacks which were mahogany bodies with Floyds and his amps of choice. If your putting the pup in a Mahogany body and want a sound that is hot, aggressive, and probably playing metal then this pup might be up your alley. I could see this pup being popular for thrash metal and shredding since thats what Pantera started out as and what his tone was geared for in the beginning.
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Great information. Aside of listening to Dime play through it and it's couterparts I can agree it seems it's favorite place to live is in a big hung of mahogany. I have a Dean EVO it just might find a place in. Need to just jump on one and give it a try.

Comment

Here is a clip with the Dime Bucker in it
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Awesome demo!! Glad he played them later in the clip without the backing tracks. Honestly, the SH-13 reminded me of an EMG 81. Too scooped and thin highs. I love metal of this style but it's not what I play and not the sound I go for either. The scooped sound made them all sound similar. Honestly, I thought the DD sounded the best all around.

Comment

Originally posted by jpistolas View Post
                      Awesome demo!! Glad he played them later in the clip without the backing tracks. Honestly, the SH-13 reminded me of an EMG 81. Too scooped and thin highs. I love metal of this style but it's not what I play and not the sound I go for either. The scooped sound made them all sound similar. Honestly, I thought the DD sounded the best all around.

Originally posted by Frogman
                      More like a less compressed, passive EMG 81 in my experience.

Comment

Thats why I think it would fare well in a Mahogany body but the DD is probably more versatile but not as articulate.

Comment

Something about the Dimebucker reminds me of when I play metal on one of my Teles with a vintage-style ashtray bridge and a vintage-style bridge pickup (VanZandt Vintage Plus or BG-Pups custom-wound at a little over 7K with A5s).
                          Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
                            I believe you're confusing highs with upper mids.
                            Heh. Fair enough, as the definitions seem to depend on which side of the glass you're sitting. Regardless, there's a reason people seem to prefer an A2 JB or, as the official JB blurb says, some people use 250k pots -- to tame the top end. Although a JB probably sounds middy and muddy to the EMG fans.
                            "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

Do they clean up well with the guitars vol pot? How to they sound coil tapped?
                              I have one in a mohogany Washburn with spin-a-split wiring. The full humbucker sound does have treble bite, but the mohogany body adds a lot of depth to it. It has less throatiness than the Duncan Distortion, maybe a touch more high treble.

With a coil rolled off via spin-a-split, it sounds like a bitey ceramic single coil. It's usable, but again, I think the mohogany body adds back a lot of body, plus with spin-a-split, I can roll a bit of the second coil back into the signal to cut noise and add some depth without going full humbucker.

Comment

Has anybody tried a magnet swap with a Dimebucker? It sounds like a hackable pup (and such speculation is the only way I can get my fix while I wait for my next magnet shipment). It'd also be kinda cool to use ceramic magnets instead of spacers (IIUC, alnico magnets can't be shaped that way).
                                Last edited by jafo; 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM.
                                "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

Working...
                                X