Gibson SGJ purchased, recommend a versatile hard rocking bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson SGJ purchased, recommend a versatile hard rocking bridge pickup

Sure but how much of that is the pickups and how much of it is terrible amp setting and mike set up. To me that tone is so heavily processed I think almost any pickup he put in front of it would sound that way i can barely hear what his fingers are doing. Though thanks for posting that it makes me feel better about my chops
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
      Sure but how much of that is the pickups and how much of it is terrible amp setting and mike set up. To me that tone is so heavily processed I think almost any pickup he put in front of it would sound that way i can barely hear what his fingers are doing. Though thanks for posting that it makes me feel better about my chops
      Exactly, a lot of other factors play into it. Bottom line is, That is the worst sounding and most ice-picky JB/SG combo I can find, and when you think about it, there are far worse sounds than that, which leads me to believe there is hope for the JB/SG combo despite what forum members say...because you know, the internet rhetoric dictates that my SG sounds bad, and that threw me into depression :'(

Comment

I have a new SGJ and personally I've tried a JB and the Super Distortion in addition to the factory pickup and I must say the JB wins. however, the Super Distortion sounds great as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fwr1982 View Post
          I have a new SGJ and personally I've tried a JB and the Super Distortion in addition to the factory pickup and I must say the JB wins. however, the Super Distortion sounds great as well.
          happen to have an air norton on hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            Also you ignored my earlier question so maybe you missed it. Why do you grab onto and hold the negative comments about the JB as gospel yet you dismiss when people post positive comments about it? Why do you do that?
            I only say less than favorable things about stock JB's when someone recommends them as a first choice for LP's, SG's, 335's, and hollowbodies. It wasn't designed for those kinds of guitars and is hit or miss in them. There are better choices. there's been too many posts by actual users to deny it. It was common talk long before I joined this forum. I don't think CC's are particularly good in those guitars either. For Strats, yes; JB's and CC's are very good choices. I've never said otherwise. In Gibson-design guitars I like JB's with A2 and UOA5 magnets, but I try not to recommend mag swapping to newbies, unless they've already bought the PU and don't like it. If a newbie gets a recommendation for a JB in his LP, he should be aware up front that sometimes unpleasant things can develop: that a number of players have complained about a ice pick spike and flabby low end. He should know that in advance and make the decision on whether to go ahead or not. It's not fair for that to hit him out of the blue, after he's paid a tech to install it. 'Oh yeah, we didn't tell you, but some guys here have had very poor results with JB's in LP's & SG's. We thought it would be best for you to find out on your own, rather than give you a head's up. That way your tech can charge you again to put in another PU.' I'm more inclined to advise JB's for Gibson-design guitars if the guy can swap mags and pots on his own. Then he's not stranded and thinking he got crappy advice here.

For certain music in certain guitars, JB's are very good. No argument there. If you don't play that kind of music, or those kinds of guitars, there are hundreds of aftermarket PU's to choose from, check them out. It's kind of ridiculous for the PU aftermarket to revolve around one PU. There's too many other choices to expect JB's to perform as well as other PU's do for various applications. In spite of what may have been assumed from the marketing campaign, JB's are not a universal PU for all genres. It's very specialized. I'd love to see a couple more versions of JB's with different magnets, like Duncan's done with the Custom line. JB2's are very good in warm woods, with fuller mids and less high end. There should be a production model JB8 too. The Custom 'family' can fit many genres; there should be a JB family too.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Hopefully not against rules... Seriously late response, but i thought you guys might want to hear what I've done.
              I finally magnet swapped my 490T with an alnico 8. It's definitely something different as I'm only used to alnico 2,5 and ceramics. I also purchased a Duncan distortion that I'm yet to decide if I want it in my SG or my 'metal' Tele. Also have a custom 5 and a jazzN I picked pretty cheap. I have a alnico 4 I'm going to try out in the 490r before I possibly put the jazzn as an replacement.
              Cheers for all the responses, helped a lot.
              Last edited by unisafe; 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Custom in the bridge with a 59 in the neck. Plug in and rock out.
                2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I recently installed a JB into my Epiphone G-400 Goth SG. It sounds amazing! Pick response is just perfect. I am intending to install the same pickup into my chocolate SGJ. It seems there are a lot of folks here who would NOT do that? I don't want to wind up with a screecher. lol Seriously though, that pickup
                  sounds soooo good in the Epi. But that guitar has a mahog neck, whereas the SGJ has a maple. I am worried about over-treble with this. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                  X