Ceramic/Alnico HYBRID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ceramic/Alnico HYBRID

Iommi sound may not be true vintage, but its not exactly modern. I've looked into it now and its made with Alnico 2 magnet and Enamel coated wire, every thing about it is made to vintage specs apart from the ceramic magnet. so in essence it is a vintage pickup.

Comment

The Iommi is a hybrid magnet structure like has been said here but I will add this...with the wind of the Iommi and the ceramic magnet it is rather far from a vintage pickup. I had a set and while I liked them Ia lot in fact) they are night and day when compared to a PAF or other vintage style pickup.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Iommi is like gibsons second hottest pickup right? Sounds pretty modern.

Comment

My mistake, 3rd hottest

Comment

Also, Gibson holds the patent for pickups with different magnet combos (at least for bar-mag combos in humbuckers) because SD has the Five-Two and P90s have multiple magnets. So Gibson is really you're only option along with one SD model (which if I remember correctly is only offered in a single coil without getting the custom shop involved).

The rumor though is that the Iommi has a ceramic and A2, BUT the entire pickup is sealed in black epoxy so no one is sure until someone is willing to cut two $150 each pickups in half - thus ruining it - just to look inside. I've heard it could even have ceramic, A2, AND A5 mags, but again, no one is sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
              Could you not use 2 slug coils, where one has Alnico rods and the other had a ceramic bar directly under the non-magnetic rods of the coil?

I've seen a single coil that had a ceramic bar under non-magnetic rods, and it worked for that (not sure who made it, though - came with a free-floating Jackson cover).
              Bump on that one.

I'd have one slug be A5 with a custom winding, and one be ceramic on a JB/Dist. winding, all sitting on an A8 magnet. If it could even be done

Comment

I have thought about a HB with one coil loaded with AlNiCo rods like a single coil or stagmag, and taking the place of the slug coil, with the other coil having adjustable pole pieces and a bar mag in the usual position. Have also thought of staking two bar mags of different types in the usual place.
                Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

The only concern I have with 2 different magnets together like that is how the magnetic field might react. Opposites attract, so if there's any electrical phase inversion from putting N/S/N, then won't that affect the tone? Perhaps negatively? Could it be corrected simply by swapping wires? (i.e. Green/Black, etc).

As well, wouldn't the stronger magnet tend to overpower, and possibly "reconfigure" weaker mags being so close together?

The Sustainiac driver comes with a small metal tab you can place in the neck pickup cavity between the driver and a middle pickup, just in case the driver (an electromagnet, basically) interfered with the middle pickup
                  Would the same type of "deflector" be needed with a magnetic-pole coil + non-magnetic-poles-on-a-bar hybrid?
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

FYI, when the first humbucker was invented, there were no screws in the bobbins, just slugs. Gibson's marketing guys said they need to be produced with screws in them so the user has the feeling s/he has control over the sound. <- story is paraphrased, but just keep in mind that the only way you can control the pups sound is by raising and lowering it. screw bits in the bobbins don't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 0v3nm4n View Post
                      screw bits in the bobbins don't change anything.
                      Your right on the story but i'm gonna disagree on the polepieces. You can prove it in less than 2 minutes by lowering and raising the pole pieces any humbucker that has them.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        Your right on the story but i'm gonna disagree on the polepieces. You can prove it in less than 2 minutes by lowering and raising the pole pieces any humbucker that has them.
                        Just tried it, seems legit. It's useful when you want to kind of even out the distance of each individual string from the pup (because tilting the pup left and right won't help with the radius curve as much as each screw will)...but why don't they do it to both coils? some pickups have this option, but they don't make it more common. something is amiss here.

Comment

Anybody have a vague idea of what two ceramic 8's surrounding an A9 would sound like..?
                          Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                            Anybody have a vague idea of what two ceramic 8's surrounding an A9 would sound like..?
                            Just like the C8, but it'll cost you five times the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                              Also, Gibson holds the patent for pickups with different magnet combos (at least for bar-mag combos in humbuckers) because SD has the Five-Two and P90s have multiple magnets. So Gibson is really you're only option along with one SD model (which if I remember correctly is only offered in a single coil without getting the custom shop involved).

The rumor though is that the Iommi has a ceramic and A2, BUT the entire pickup is sealed in black epoxy so no one is sure until someone is willing to cut two $150 each pickups in half - thus ruining it - just to look inside. I've heard it could even have ceramic, A2, AND A5 mags, but again, no one is sure.
                              Really dude? What about the BKP Juggernaut?
                              DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                                Really dude? What about the BKP Juggernaut?
                                and the entwistle nemesis AFG and the bulldog dropzone
                                Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                                WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                                http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Working...
                                X