banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Lotta Humbucker. Who's tried them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Lotta Humbucker. Who's tried them?

I'm thinking that the next humbucker I should try is the Whole Lotta Humbucker, since it falls within the specs I like the most in a bridge pickup.
    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

I generally like pickups like the Brobucker, C/59, 59, C5, Seth Lover, etc. So the Whole Lotta sounds like something I want to try with a PGn in my LP & SG, as well as my Fenders.

Anyone compared the Whole Lotta to a 59b, C5, '78, or C/59?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Whole Lotta Humbucker. Who's tried them?

I too am very excited about the Whole Lotta Humbuckers, especially want to try the bridge pup in my Hamer USA Explorer

Comment

I think you have your answer right here haha.

players
      C'mon, you know who.

Comment

I've had a set in my '91 LP Classic for a couple of months and I like them a lot.

The best way I can describe them is like '59s with more mids and a more even response. The DC resistance may be higher but they're not noticeably hotter - the bridge pickup sounds fatter, the neck pickup sounds more even. The perception is less bass, more mids and retained treble.

"Like '59s with more mids" seems simplistic but I'm struggling to describe them better, and I guess a '59 is a good reference point.

They are really nicely balanced humbuckers for blues and classic rock styles.

Comment

Saw the video for the WLH set when it was first posted, and decided that these pick ups were worth a try. So I had a set installed in my SG Standard.

At the store, I tried it with a Blues Jr. and didn't touch any on the controls. The SG sounded like a throw back to an earlier time, and I decided that they might be keepers.

Once home, I started with my Express still set up for my LP and didn't change any setting. I plugged in and started with the bridge - more mids, the highs and bass were not as pronounced. Then I flipped to the neck - nice, a bit more power and again good mids. The bass wasn't lumpy or boomy and the treble wasn't shrill. The bridge, both together, and neck were much more even sounding than the respective 59's

These are classic rock pickups and they can venture into some other styles nicely think blues rock and blues.

Lastly, these pickups split were pleasant to my ears - not shrill or missing something. They sounded firm and not overly bright. Made me want to play "Hey Joe."
          Aint no Hendrix and not a Fender admirer/owner, but the WLH'ers sounded good as single coils.

As you can tell, I'm far from a pro-reviewer.

Have tried 59's in several of my guitars and except for one, I didn't like them. My two biggest gripes with them were humpy bumpy bass / no midrange and hard to set up an amp for both the neck and the bridge.

The WLH set seems to solve the shortcoming with my current set up and am very satisfied with them in the SG.
          That is not dead which can eternal lie,
          And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Don't know yet. Ordering a set for my Studio in the next couple weeks. Still debating on black or nickel covers though.
            Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
              I've had a set in my '91 LP Classic for a couple of months and I like them a lot.

The best way I can describe them is like '59s with more mids and a more even response. The DC resistance may be higher but they're not noticeably hotter - the bridge pickup sounds fatter, the neck pickup sounds more even. The perception is less bass, more mids and retained treble.

"Like '59s with more mids" seems simplistic but I'm struggling to describe them better, and I guess a '59 is a good reference point.

That's what I wanted to hear most - a comparison to 59's. More mids, slightly less bass and treble, and similar output. Same thing Condemned soul stated. At least I know it's in the same ballpark, with the frequencies shifted around a little. I know I like roughcast mags more than polished.

One of my other favorite pickups is the C5 with unoriented roughcast A5 magnet. It adds a tiny bit of mids, and un-hypes the bass and treble a bit. I also have a slightly overwound 15.3K Custom 5, but the unoriented roughcast C5 is better sounding.
              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 06-05-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post

+1, this is exactly how I would describe the set. I got the Jimmy Page Custom Shop pickups in my LP (they are supposed to be the same as the WLH set) and they definitely have a more balanced response. I used to have a C5/59 configuration but I am much more happy with the JP setup!
                - Fender Vintage Hot Rod '62 Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer pickups
                - 2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Jimmy Page set

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                  Why dont you get that the Jon Bonamassa one since you have a raging old guy crush on him.
                  lol!

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

I have a set ordered should have them on Thursday, I'm real curious to check these out

Comment

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa View Post
                      I have a set ordered should have them on Thursday, I'm real curious to check these out
                      I too have a set in the mail I should have by Friday. Going in my Blacktop Strat. Tried a C/59 Hybrid w/a 59n but it didn't suit the guitar. Exercised the 21 day rule, going with WLH set. VERY excited and eager to get them wired in. I will report back. It's an alder body w/maple neck and board so it's no LP. But this one has more bottom end and warmth than you would expect from a Strat. Should be interesting.
                      MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Yeah.....whoever buys a set, report back in this thread. I'm dialing in a tele this week with other pickups.....Filtertron/mini hum neck, so I have to wait on the WLH purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          Yeah.....whoever buys a set, report back in this thread. I'm dialing in a tele this week with other pickups.....Filtertron/mini hum neck, so I have to wait on the WLH purchase.

I will post some thoughts tonight once I install them, they are going into my Les Paul Classic!

Comment

I love my Brobuckers and am very curious about how these Whole Lottas would perform in the same guitar against Brobuckers! And also... How would the neck compare to my 7.5K A4 59N? That's another question that has been on my mind for quite a while.

It is just that I think I already have great pickups matching the guitars they are in almost perfectly! ... So the only motivation for me to try them Whole Lottas is curiosity. It is a good reason, yet not as strong as needing...

B
                            Last edited by dr.barlo; 06-06-2013, 06:48 AM.
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post

It is just that I think I already have great pickups matching the guitars they are in almost perfectly! ... So the only motivation for me to try them Whole Lottas is curiosity. It is a good reason, yet not as strong as needing...

B
                              We just need a Whole Lotta more guitars!

Comment

Working...
                              X