banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first Seymour Duncan pickup or experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was your first Seymour Duncan pickup or experience?

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    My first SD pup was a Screamin Demon in my very heavy LP Classic. At the time I was looking for a bridge pup that would "scream" with bright piercing highs.

Logical that I would buy a pup called "Screamin Demon", right?
    I made this same mistake. I remember when the ads came out with Lynch and the Skull and Snakes ESP. I remembering having the music store order it and it was like 25 bucks more expensive than other humbuckers. I got it in the guitar and just went..... Wasnt so much that it was a bad sounding pickup just not at all a Screamin Demon.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

+1

Around 10 years ago I decided to up grade my stock pickups in my Peavey EVH special. After lots of reading and time spent contemplating, I bought the Demon for the bridge thinking it was going to be as big as George's hair in the 80s. Sadly I was mistaken.

I now wish I didn't sell it. I am really intrigued how it will sound as a neck pickup.
      Last edited by Justin Read; 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

It was a Custom in a Charvel back in the 80s. Maybe it was JB, but it was either that or the Custom. I seem to recall it was the Custom though.

What really converted me though was when a band mate installed surfers into his American Standard strat. They totally transformed that guitar. Another guy I jammed with actually replaced the original pickups in his 63 strat with surfers.

Comment

Oddly enough, . . . I remember. I had a somewhat unique USA Peavey Predator. Not like the ones you see today. I asked the forum what they recommended. They said . . . C5 bridge, 59 Neck. It was a killer combo. I was hooked. The pups are long gone, but I still have that axe. I need to get another pair. (Of "them", I mean.)

Comment

'59 bridge humbucker for my Epiphone Les Paul as a Christmas gift in 2000. The guy at the store suggested emg's but I hate emg's. Then he suggested a Full Shred, which I was going to go with. I was looking for a more traditional 70's crunchy hard rock sound for AC/DC and Aerosmith. The 59 sounded okay through my Marshall VS15, but amazing (for the time) through my Spider 210, which I got about a year or so later.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Read View Post
              I absolutely regret selling my (newly bought) Steinberger GR4 USA model in 1999. It wasn't a transtrem version buy it was seriously such a beautiful guitar. It had a graphite headless neck, maple body and came stock with a Seymour Duncan JB and 2 SD hot rails. That was a serious beast of a guitar, so smooth and balanced. That was my initiation into the world of Seymour.

I owned it for about 5 years and traded it in for a Fender twin amp that I absolutely hated and sold after 6 months.

I constantly look to buy a transtrem Steingerger but they are either over priced or in atrocious condition :-(
              Tch tch, young man; well, you live and learn. JB probably perfect for a maple/graphite guitar.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Sad but true. We do live and learn.

Reminds me of an ex I lost back to her home country. Sometimes the good ones get away.

Comment

OEM SSL-1 middle pickup in a Kramer.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

About 25 or so years ago in my P-Bass.

Active P-Bass Pickups with switches (not my pic): (I lived in Santa Barbara so these were easy to get and used by a lot of locals) Great sound. Cheers!

Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Antiquities Texas Hot set for Stratocaster, though I only used the bridge pickup out of the set to replace one in a 1966 Stratocaster. It matched perfectly, and I've sworn by Seymour Duncan pickups ever since.

Comment

Full Shred in my Gibson V. Followed shortly by a PGn in same guitar. Such a huge improvement over the stock pups...and the PGn was a huge improvement over the classic 57 I first put in there! Back in '93 or thereabouts.

Comment

About twenty eight years ago, I bought a black Kramer Baretta that had the JB pickup. The guitar just smoked.
                          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Ah yes, I remember quite well.... I had an 80s kramer stryker. I liked the guitar but it was kind of bland. Like I was a good judge of tone cuz I knew 3 chords and played it thru a PV Special 130. But anyhow.. I didnt know much about replacement pickups so when I moved to FLA, they had a cool music store here and I was shopping for a new guitar and they told me I should try a pup swap. I bought a JB upon the recommendation. I ended up falling madly in love with a Charvel DR3 (I think it was. Candy apple red, humbucker and slant single coil and was the first one in town with the upside down headstock!!) Anyhow, bought that and then had the JB put into my Striker with a coil tap and OMG!! Was night and day improvement! Blew my mind. Then, I almost felt guilty for buying that other guitar... Almost... haha In the end, wife said I had to get rid of one and the Kramer went since I loved the Charvel more, but Ill never forget how much the Duncan improved the tone.. So..Now Ive bought oodles of Duncans and swap pups on nearly every guitar Ive bought since..

We always remember our first, dont we??
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

My first was a JB in my '85 Gibson V. It was good, but I was very interested in the 500T when it first came out and it ended up being better suited for what I wanted from that guitar.

Next Duncan was the Distortion paired with a '59 Neck, an instant classic in my Carvin. Still have that and added a DD to one my Charvel 475s also.
                              Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                              Marshall JVM410H
                              Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                              Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                              ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                              Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                              Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                              Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                              Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

My first was a hot P bass pup in a cheap Kramer bass. Man, that had a fat tone!

Comment

Working...
                                X