Information on a vintage Mighty Mite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on a vintage Mighty Mite

My friend and I were looking in an old guitar shop locally and we know the owner and he randomly told us he had loads of old parts in the back that we were welcome to rummage through. Anyway, amongst all the cheap bridges and tuners we found an old creme Mighty Mite humbucker. It has 12 non adjustable slugs and measures about 13.5k with single braided cable. On the bottom of the brass base plate it just says Mighty Mite MFG. It looks like it has an oversized ceramic in it. The old guy says it's an 1800 and it was mine if I looked after the shop for 10 mins while he went to grab some lunch. Never heard of an 1800 but it sounds really crunchy and pretty cool but does howl a little under high gain.
    Just wondered if anyone had any info or could confirm the model. I'm pretty sure it's not the stuff MM make now but could be wrong. Cheers!
    Last edited by Reaper of Doom; 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM.

Re: Information on a vintage Mighty Mite

The old Mighty Mites are Dimarzio Super Distortions, like Eddie Van Whatshisface -the guy who was in David Lee Roths band- used early on, before the " ' 78 ". A pic would help determine if its one and the same. They can go fopr a premium becasue the Ed'ster provenance, and yes, old SuperD's and Duncans sound better than new, and sometimes go for ridiculous prices. I bought an Old no logo Custom for a C-note, and soem of the old Duncans routinely go for that much and more.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

This is my vintage MM 1800? Only really heard of a 1300 because of the VH connection.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow , thats very cool! Very very Cool! If stock ,That could be the "missing link" - the grail of early Van Halen? Not a superD. IF its been modifeid, maybe an early Dimarz. PAF ( thats what it looks like), with a extra thick magnet. Bet it sounds badass in the bridge.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Re: Information on a vintage Mighty Mite (updated with pics)

As far as I know it's stock. Not sure it's been potted because it squeals a bit when slammed with gain. Is there such thing as an 1800?

Comment

Mighty Mite made a lot of stuff back in the 70's and 80's. I don't know if this is a Super Distortion in disguise. I'm tempted to say this is just a rare MM. At one time MM manufactured their parts just outside of Chicago. This pickup looks like it came from that era.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              The old Mighty Mites are Dimarzio Super Distortions, like Eddie Van Whatshisface -the guy who was in David Lee Roths band- used early on, before the " ' 78 ". A pic would help determine if its one and the same. They can go fopr a premium becasue the Ed'ster provenance, and yes, old SuperD's and Duncans sound better than new, and sometimes go for ridiculous prices. I bought an Old no logo Custom for a C-note, and soem of the old Duncans routinely go for that much and more.
              Yes the one with the double row of allen screws. Those MM where stock in the first version of Martins em 18 electric guitar model. The sound pretty good in those guitars

Click image for larger version

Name:	30U-11521_pickups.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	5769077
              Last edited by blues; 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Those MM pickups also had the option to split the coils just like the Dimarzio dual sound humbucker. Super distortion/paf.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the info everyone. I've been a member of this forum for years and I don't post too often but I come here everyday. Some people read the newspaper on a morning, I read whats going down on the SDUGF. I love the wealth of knowledge round this place.

Comment

I saw today on another forum that the Mighty Mite 1800 was refered to as the 'Super Stud'.

Comment

Anyone know where one of the Mighty Mite 1300 pickups could be found? I have a Martin EM-18 that I bought brand new over 30 years ago... and like a young idiot I swapped out the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio X2N....and lost the Mighty Mite. I check ebay occasionally, but I haven't found one it good, original condition (with original wiring intact). Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by blues View Post
                      Yes the one with the double row of allen screws. Those MM where stock in the first version of Martins em 18 electric guitar model. The sound pretty good in those guitars

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43818[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by lilbiscuit View Post
                        Anyone know where one of the Mighty Mite 1300 pickups could be found? I have a Martin EM-18 that I bought brand new over 30 years ago... and like a young idiot I swapped out the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio X2N....and lost the Mighty Mite. I check ebay occasionally, but I haven't found one it good, original condition (with original wiring intact). Any help is appreciated.

Ebay for around $100 usd
                        not too long ago ebay had a brand new old stock 1300 for $125 but that was probably a once in a lifetime thing.
                        The used ones that show up are rare and not in the best shape.
                        here is a 1400 that is ridiculously priced!
                        Excellent deals with,
                        Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                        Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                        slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                        guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                        51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                        king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by SAVAGE DISTORTION View Post
                          Ebay for around $100 usd
                          not too long ago ebay had a brand new old stock 1300 for $125 but that was probably a once in a lifetime thing.
                          The used ones that show up are rare and not in the best shape.
                          here is a 1400 that is ridiculously priced!
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-EVH-SEY...item2a3ce56a94
                          I just missed one last night on ebay Went for $50, had slight wiring mod (chopped into 2-wire) but I could have restored the wiring .. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Hey
                            I am looking for early 80's Mighty Mite Single Coils. Any reasonable price
                            will be paid. Thanks. If anyone knows the specs on these pickups please post.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper of Doom View Post
                              My friend and I were looking in an old guitar shop locally and we know the owner and he randomly told us he had loads of old parts in the back that we were welcome to rummage through. Anyway, amongst all the cheap bridges and tuners we found an old creme Mighty Mite humbucker. It has 12 non adjustable slugs and measures about 13.5k with single braided cable. On the bottom of the brass base plate it just says Mighty Mite MFG. It looks like it has an oversized ceramic in it. The old guy says it's an 1800 and it was mine if I looked after the shop for 10 mins while he went to grab some lunch. Never heard of an 1800 but it sounds really crunchy and pretty cool but does howl a little under high gain.
                              Just wondered if anyone had any info or could confirm the model. I'm pretty sure it's not the stuff MM make now but could be wrong. Cheers!
                              Little late on the reply but...

Yes; more than likely a Mighty Mite "Super Stud".

Model #1800 looks to be correct.

pics:

Name:	MM.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	5797350

Name:	MM-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	5797351