banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by SGFanatic View Post
    *disclaimer* I like bright, however I think I might be going deaf, or at least I can't hear the high end frequencies as well.

I just put a 1meg volume pot on mine. I think it sounds better than ever.

You...my friend...bring so much rock!!!!

That must sound like tying an already angry chick down and then telling her you banged her sister!?!?!

For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I don't even play the style of music that these pickups were designed for, but I'm seriously digging the way they sound. I'd love to hear someone do a demo, tuned to 440, through a Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by whatshisname View Post
        I don't even play the style of music that these pickups were designed for, but I'm seriously digging the way they sound. I'd love to hear someone do a demo, tuned to 440, through a Marshall.
        YES!! Just some overdriven rock or Metal tones. Not necessarily balls out distortion, but some good warm tube distortion with some overdrive. Even run a test throught the clean channel to prove the 'sparkling cleans' that everyone claims these have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
          YES!! Just some overdriven rock or Metal tones. Not necessarily balls out distortion, but some good warm tube distortion with some overdrive. Even run a test throught the clean channel to prove the 'sparkling cleans' that everyone claims these have.
          +1
          It's time to hear them out of a FULL METAL context.
          Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
          Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

That's one of my biggest complaints, about most of the dickup demos. Nothing against anyone who does them; A lot of them are done by fine players, and they showcase the pickups tone very well. However, with 1/4 inch cables for strings, and being tuned down so far with massive amounts of distortion, many of them do no good for those of us who prefer a more "classic" sound. One good example of a guy that does great demos, for what I like, is Matt Thorpe, on YouTube. If you haven't seen his videos, check them out! He's pretty spot on to what I dig. https://www.youtube.com/user/Mattukgtr?feature=watch

Comment

I've watched Matt's videos in the past and I like them. I bet if you bought a set of Black Winters and mailed them to Matt, he'd demo them for you.
              Obviously, the BW's cater to a certain genre of music. I doubt you'll see Joe Bonnamosso loading up any of his 59's with high-output pickups.
              I might try mine out in a guitar in standard E soon here, so I'll post my opinion. My only option to record is my phone, but that sounds like dog farts.
              I can't imagine they would sound bad with the amp tweaked correctly.
              That's one of my biggest complaints, about most of the dickup demos. Nothing against anyone who does them; A lot of them are done by fine players, and they showcase the pickups tone very well. However, with 1/4 inch cables for strings, and being tuned down so far with massive amounts of distortion, many of them do no good for those of us who prefer a more "classic" sound. One good example of a guy that does great demos, for what I like, is Matt Thorpe, on YouTube. If you haven't seen his videos, check them out! He's pretty spot on to what I dig. https://www.youtube.com/user/Mattukgtr?feature=watch

Comment

I've watched Matt's videos in the past and I like them. I bet if you bought a set of Black Winters and mailed them to Matt, he'd demo them for you.
                Obviously, the BW's cater to a certain genre of music. I doubt you'll see Joe Bonnamosso loading up any of his 59's with high-output pickups.
                I might try mine out in a guitar in standard E soon here, so I'll post my opinion. My only option to record is my phone, but that sounds like dog farts.
                I can't imagine they would sound bad with the amp tweaked correctly.
                It would be better than nothing! And do a wide spectrum of sounds. From clean, to smooth, to overdriven crunch, and to even some balls out metal, but in standard E. I personally play in Standard E, even in a metal situation, so it would be nice to hear something more up my alley in that department, but definitely show the other spectrum's of tone as well.
                Last edited by Mad-Max; 10-03-2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I'll see what I can throw together; not 'till next week though.
                  It would be better than nothing! And do a wise spectrum of sounds. From clean, to smooth, to overdriven crunch, and to even some balls out metal, but in standard E. I personally play in Standard E, even in a metal situation, so it would be nice to hear something more up my alley in that department, but definitely show the other spectrum's of tone as well.

Comment

[note to self]

Switching from a stock guitar to a guitar with Black Winters in it requires a volume adjustment.

For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I still don't see that demo from SGFanatic. Where the hell is it!?

Comment

I'm sorry. I'm very busy. Work and school. Gimmie a minute.
                        I still don't see that demo from SGFanatic. Where the hell is it!?

Comment

I'm sorry. I'm very busy. Work and school. Gimmie a minute.
                          Understood, I'm just giving you a hard time mate

Comment

I got myself a set of Black Winters after my previous good experience with the sentient/pegasus set, and also I love Amorphis and the Scandinavian metal sounds. After some time playing it in my Fender alder HH strat yesterday, I can say for sure they are the greatest sounding pickups that I've tried in that strat so far (I've tried a few and was ready to give up and sell the strat). Lucy was right in that they are fantastic on cleans and with distortions, great for me as i favor a more versatile sound. Very satisfying while playing on high gains, split sounded nice too. These pups sort of changed my usual preference for lower output pickups, and might be my favourite Duncan so far. Great job!

Comment

I'm hoping my set will arrive this week. Now I've got a bunch of renovations going on at home, and not much time to do guitar stuff, but if I get a chance I'll get them installed and shoot a quick demo.
                              http://www.lonephantom.com
                              http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by Sensates View Post
                                I got myself a set of Black Winters after my previous good experience with the sentient/pegasus set, and also I love Amorphis and the Scandinavian metal sounds. After some time playing it in my Fender alder HH strat yesterday, I can say for sure they are the greatest sounding pickups that I've tried in that strat so far (I've tried a few and was ready to give up and sell the strat). Lucy was right in that they are fantastic on cleans and with distortions, great for me as i favor a more versatile sound. Very satisfying while playing on high gains, split sounded nice too. These pups sort of changed my usual preference for lower output pickups, and might be my favourite Duncan so far. Great job!
                                I haven't heard mine split, so I'm curious about that sound. Do you think they sound more like a true single coil than other 'buckers, and are they noticeably brighter when split?
                                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                                X