banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I installed it last week in my Jackson DK6, which is a one-pup guitar. Original was EMG81.

I loved Duncans before, especially the Distortion set in my Charvel, I hated EMG81's before, but this is on another level. Best pickup I've ever used. Now I'm even thinking about replacing the Distortion set in the Charvel with them.

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
      How do you guys feel about a Black Winter set in a Les Paul Trad Pro II into a juiced up JCM800?
      Sounds like it would sound awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
        Sounds like it would sound awesome
        Cool thanks!!

Comment

Has anyone figured out a suitable middle pickup that will go well with Winters for funky cleans and maybe some blues flavor?

I'm talking about BLENDING a middle pickup in the 2 and 4 positions...not using the middle pickup to take over.

What can we come up with?

~LD
          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
            Has anyone figured out a suitable middle pickup that will go well with Winters for funky cleans and maybe some blues flavor?

I'm talking about BLENDING a middle pickup in the 2 and 4 positions...not using the middle pickup to take over.

What can we come up with?

~LD
            I'm putting a Black Winter set in my RG and thought of going with a Quarter Pound in the middle.

Comment

I'm putting a Black Winter set in my RG and thought of going with a Quarter Pound in the middle.
              I have a RW/RP Quarter Pounder in the middle of an L500XL and a Pearly Gates on one of my jems. I thought about it.

I'm leaning towards a hot stack. We'll see.
              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

Looking to get a set of these for my KM-7. Do they really sound like the emg het set? cause they are probably my favorite pickups but dont come in a 7 string version!

Comment

I have a RW/RP Quarter Pounder in the middle of an L500XL and a Pearly Gates on one of my jems. I thought about it.

I'm leaning towards a hot stack. We'll see.
                  Cool. I was thinking of putting a hot stack or a YJM too. Not sure yet. The guitar needs fret work so it will be a while. I actually just put EMG H3s in my 87 Charvel 3A and they sound killer. They came with my Jackson soloist but sucked in that guitar so I installed an AirZone/Air Norton combo which is killer. I'll probably change the EMGs out for the Distortion Mayhem set or JB/59.

Comment

Originally posted by RustInPeace View Post
                    Looking to get a set of these for my KM-7. Do they really sound like the emg het set? cause they are probably my favorite pickups but dont come in a 7 string version!
                    Someone may have used that description to clarify themselves along the way on the internet. The Black Winters were initially an exclusive release in Scandinavian countries a year before most people were able to get them here in the States. The Black Winter is older than the Het Set so it may sound similar to some guitar players but that is where that ends. The Black Winter design came first, so if anything, James' signature pickups sound like these. Having said that, if you are looking for punch, clarity, string separation, excellent crunch, excellent cleans and and excellent overall response to ANY style...yes, the Black Winters will suit your seven string just fine.

Cool. I was thinking of putting a hot stack or a YJM too. Not sure yet. The guitar needs fret work so it will be a while. I actually just put EMG H3s in my 87 Charvel 3A and they sound killer. They came with my Jackson soloist but sucked in that guitar so I installed an AirZone/Air Norton combo which is killer. I'll probably change the EMGs out for the Distortion Mayhem set or JB/59.
                    I haven't used EMGs in a while. Once I learned how to control my gain with the volume knob, I went almost completely passive. I still have an '81/ '85 set in my Les Paul Custom though. I'm just waiting on a good idea for that pickup change.

I'll tell you though...now that Duncan has been offering BLACK CHROME as an option, I'm in a world of happy.

Comment

• Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I compared the BW and Het set once. I have some clips if you'd like.

To me, they were similar (as pickups are through the same rig). The het set is a little leaner in the bass, and has "harder" mids. (The BW seemed a wee bit softer overall). That is probably the active factor and the output difference though. They blended wonderfully in the mix though.

I love my het set, and I love the BW.

Comment

Thanks guys! No here is a question that has been burning through my mind.... The SD site says the BW's eq is about a 6/6/6 across the board... Is this just them being silly with the 666 thing or are they really that balanced overall? I keep reading things about balance then hearing someone say they have a bit more high end..

Comment

I haven't used EMGs in a while. Once I learned how to control my gain with the volume knob, I went almost completely passive. I still have an '81/ '85 set in my Les Paul Custom though. I'm just waiting on a good idea for that pickup change.

I'll tell you though...now that Duncan has been offering BLACK CHROME as an option, I'm in a world of happy.
                          The EMG H3 is passive. I have a Schecter Damien Elite 8 with active 808s and hate them. I'll be switching them out asap with Pegasus/Sentient.

Yeah, I hear you. Black chrome is nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
                            I compared the BW and Het set once. I have some clips if you'd like.

I love my het set, and I love the BW.
                            I'd love to give those a listen, if you wouldn't mind posting them.

Comment

• Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
                              I'd love to give those a listen, if you wouldn't mind posting them.
                              I have to dissapoint, I'm afraid. I tried finding the clips, but they appear lost. Abolished by the gods of harddrive cleanliness...

I'll check my backups, but it would just be easier recording new ones perhaps.

Crap. I was sure I still had that project with all those clips around somewhere.

Comment

Thanks guys! No here is a question that has been burning through my mind.... The SD site says the BW's eq is about a 6/6/6 across the board... Is this just them being silly with the 666 thing or are they really that balanced overall? I keep reading things about balance then hearing someone say they have a bit more high end..
                                Hi there [waves],

Yeah...a bunch of us think it is silly.

Posts 88 and 89 of this thread are comments from Dahla and me saying it's closer to 8/8/9 to my ears and 7/8/9 to Dahla's.

I still think it would be funny to just make it w/t/f but that's just the natural born easter egg seeking wise-ass in me

Comment

Working...
                                X