DD magnet change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD magnet change

Hey, y'all! I had posed a question a while back about replacing the ceramics in a DD set with Alnicos. I had decided to go with A2 bridge and A4 neck-polished. Well...in my usual random fashion, I changed my mind at the last minute(literally as I was getting ready to order), and went with roughcast A2 for the bridge and roughcast A3 for the neck. The mags arrived this week and they are now in their new homes. All I can say is WOW! The harsh top end is gone and both bridge and neck pickups sing. My humble LTD VIper 100 finally has the tone I've been hearing in my head but couldn't reproduce before. Many thanks to everyone who responded to the old thread-I took all your suggestions into consideration, and couldn't have done it without you! Now I've got the itch to get a mahogany bodied, gibby scale git-fiddle and try a CC bridge and a Jazz neck....oh boy, the wife is gonna KILL me!

Re: DD magnet change

Nice. Heard a Distortion with an a5 is very similar to a JB.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe61 View Post
      Hey, y'all! I had posed a question a while back about replacing the ceramics in a DD set with Alnicos. I had decided to go with A2 bridge and A4 neck-polished. Well...in my usual random fashion, I changed my mind at the last minute(literally as I was getting ready to order), and went with roughcast A2 for the bridge and roughcast A3 for the neck. The mags arrived this week and they are now in their new homes. All I can say is WOW! The harsh top end is gone and both bridge and neck pickups sing. My humble LTD VIper 100 finally has the tone I've been hearing in my head but couldn't reproduce before. Many thanks to everyone who responded to the old thread-I took all your suggestions into consideration, and couldn't have done it without you! Now I've got the itch to get a mahogany bodied, gibby scale git-fiddle and try a CC bridge and a Jazz neck....oh boy, the wife is gonna KILL me!
      Congratulations! You're experiencing the effect of the "Smooth Vintage Whisperer™" mag combo.

Enjoy it in good health.

Comment

I tried every mag that I had (ceramic, A8, A5, UOA5, A4, A2) in my DD when I first got it. The A2 (roughcast...I've never seen any other kind of A2) was the one that made it sing with that perfect rich tone that I love, and without any harshness/brittle/shrill high end. But it still has plenty bite.

Pepe loves his pet names for certain mag combinations. I hear he's going to copyright them someday. LOL. I have to admit that this one (A2/A4) is one of my favorites. Thanks Pepe.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          Congratulations! You're experiencing the effect of the "Smooth Vintage Whisperer™" mag combo.

Enjoy it in good health.
          Thank you, Lt. Kojak! It sure is smooth-clean or hot!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe61 View Post
            Mag swap a DD is sacrilege to me, but nice to see you love it. I listened to the Super V from the custom shop which was a prototype JB from the 70's, and I reckon you'd love that pickup instead of mag swapping a DD. It takes me a while to save money for a custom shop Duncan, buts its sure worth it.
            Last edited by Dark Order Lord; 07-15-2013, 03:35 AM.
            DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
              Mag swap a DD is sacrilege to me, but nice to see you love it. I listened to the Super V from the custom shop which was a prototype JB from the 70's, and I reckon you'd love that pickup instead of mag swapping a DD. It takes me a while to save money for a custom shop Duncan, buts its sure worth it.
              Believe it or not, I got my DD set in a trade. My best bud had 'em in a strat, and didn't like the sound. He traded to me even up for a GFS Dream 90 neck and Dream 180 bridge that I had. Once they were installed in my Viper, I was very impressed with how hard they drive an amp, but being an old-school blues-rocker, they were a bit too brutal. So that, along with the fact that my financial situation is next door to grim, led me to explore the mag-swap route. I fully understand your aversion to mag-swapping a DD-it is the best all-around headbangin' pup I've ever seen. But, with the A2/A3 mags, they are still hot, but a lot more round-toned. If my bank account ever gets out of the toilet and I can afford a Custom Shop pup, it'll prolly be a '78. Love them A2 mags!(I will check out the Super V, though-thanks for the suggestion).

Comment

How did your friend apply the rape kit?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  How did your friend apply the rape kit?
                  Lol! It was a self-raping. I patiently explained the price difference to him and it made no difference-we both feel like we got the better end of the deal.

Comment

Working...
                  X