Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some "Warm" Humbuckers

Originally posted by Tarnishedrose View Post
    Unfortunately, I've had the pick ups for over 6 months, so I'm outside the exchange window. I went ahead and ordered an Alnico II Pro for the neck, so we'll see how that sounds first. If it works, I'll go ahead and change the magnets on the SH2 and move it to the bridge position.
    I'm sorry I missed this, but isn't the alnico II pro the same wind as the jazz but with an alnico II magnet? Also, in terms of the circuit a 500k pot is identical to a 250k when the volume is around 7 (audio taper I believe). So I always go for 500k because it's harder to dial in extra brightness than it is to take it away.

One of my favorite all-time bridge pickups for metal was whatever DiMarzio got replaced by the 36th anniversary pickups. It was a 9k PAF style bridge pickup with alnico 2 (I think? Could have been alnico 5) and I think it would work well for what you want if you get the A2P in and you're looking for something a little more gutsy in the bridge. Haven't tried the anniversaries but if they're anything like the old guy I had they'd be worth a shot in the bridge.

Of if you're feeling really adventurous you could do a jazz/screamin' demon hybrid with A2. There's a high likelihood of it sounding like butt though. I say that because it's a 10k pickup with a resonant peak of 7k hertz, a/k/a it's almost definitely underwound 43 gauge so the finished product would probably have lower output than just the jazz neck in the bridge.

Also, I've heard good things about the PATB-3 blues sacrenso. Just saying for warm moderate output vintage you've got some options.
    Last edited by jimijames; 07-23-2013, 12:36 AM.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

OK, just got a Alnico II Pro pick up and will be installing it into the neck position to see if it gets me to where I want to be. That said, I would like to re-ask about pots. I put CTS 250k audio taper pots in, but, while it toned down the brightness, now I'm back to one of the issues I had in the first place, which is needing to turn the pot down to about 6 to get the volume to start to roll off. The 500k pots I took out were linear taper and started to roll off right when I started turning down. So why would I want to use audio taper pots over linear taper?

Al

Comment

A neck through can be hard to make sound warm. Not sure if the brass nut does anything but if it does it won't help.

Why not a Pearly Gator since you already liked it?

Oh and get some pure nickel wound strings. Mayor difference.

Comment

Changing the brass nut is probably a good idea as well.
          The brass nut is just fine.

I've come across guitars like yours in the past and from what I remember, they were made at the Matsumoku factory in Japan, probably late '70s, early '80s, when they were at their peak.

To best suit the style you play with the band, an Antiquity set is what you want, being the next best thing a Seth Lover set.

This guitar simply LOVES low-output p'ups.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            The brass nut is just fine.

I've come across guitars like yours in the past and from what I remember, they were made at the Matsumoku factory in Japan, probably late '70s, early '80s, when they were at their peak.

To best suit the style you play with the band, an Antiquity set is what you want, being the next best thing a Seth Lover set.

This guitar simply LOVES low-output p'ups.

HTH,
            Thanks, very good to know. I'm still going to install the Alnico II Pro probably tonight, but will be within the 21 day return policy if I don't like it.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
              I went to the link of your band. Your band plays classic Rock and Blues, ( my fav Gen). As suggested above try the 250 k mode first. If it does not work then a pickup with A2 magnets will work. Putting an A2 in the JB is also a good option. But do the 250 k pot first.
              OK, finally was able to install the Alnico II Pro in the neck position with 250k pots. Now we're talking. Much warmer, although I still have to roll the tone control down to 7 to make it to my liking. Sounds really good through my Egnater. The Boogie is at the rehearsal space, so we'll have to wait until the weekend to play through it. Just compared it to the Strat (with Fender stock Alnico Humbuckers) and it has about 2 db more output (measured with my Rat-shack db meter). I can live with that. Now, let's talk about the bridge PU. Would putting an A2 magnet in the SH-2 (which I just removed) and using it in the bridge position work? I hate to buy a new PU if I don't have to. Just as a reminder, I have both the SH-2 and SH-4 available; the SH-4 is in the bridge now and does need to either go away or be modified. Thoughts everyone?

Al

Comment

An A2pro and a Jazz are pretty much the same coils
                so if you switch the magnet on your Jazz to A2 you have another Alnico II pro neck pickup.
                It could work? In days of yore there were no different bridge or neck winds, all just the same... so it may work, you may like it.
                I would not tamper with mag swaps and get another bridge pup; Seth or WLH.
                Last edited by CountFeedback; 08-08-2013, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CountFeedback View Post
                  An A2pro and a Jazz are pretty much the same coils
                  so if you switch the magnet on your Jazz to A2 you have another Alnico II pro neck pickup.
                  It could work? In days of yore there were no different bridge or neck winds, all just the same... so it may work, you may like it.
                  I would not tamper with mag swaps and get another bridge pup; Seth or WLH.
                  In truth, I've never met a bridge PU I've liked over the last 20 years or so. The only bridge PU I did like was in my early 1970's Les Paul, and both PU were the same in that guitar, so I guess I have my answer. So now the question is should I swap magnets and how difficult is it ($10 in cost), or do I sell the SH-2/SH-4 as a set and as you suggest, buy another PU, which would be another Alnico Pro II.

Al

Comment

As cheap as the mag swap is its worth a shot. Takes 10 minutes and is completely reversible if you dont like it. But just in case you dont like it and you want a different pickup I think the SH55 is the one your after.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I even managed to swap mags in a Les Paul bridge pickup without burning a set of strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        As cheap as the mag swap is its worth a shot. Takes 10 minutes and is completely reversible if you dont like it. But just in case you dont like it and you want a different pickup I think the SH55 is the one your after.
                        OK, my understanding is you remove the tape round the coils, heat the back of the PU up with a heat gun, gently pull out the mag, gently push in the new mag, retape and done. Does that pretty much sum it up? Also, to show how much I DON'T know, only one magnet strip per PU, right?

Al

Comment

OK, my understanding is you remove the tape round the coils, heat the back of the PU up with a heat gun, gently pull out the mag, gently push in the new mag, retape and done. Does that pretty much sum it up? Also, to show how much I DON'T know, only one magnet strip per PU, right?

Al

Pretty much here is a video that was made by one of the other forum bros here, If you have any other questions feel free to post.

"It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Awesome, thank you!!

Al

Comment

Working...
                            X