Wanting a little more saturation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting a little more saturation

In my Les Paul. I thought I was happy with the Custom 8, but I'm not so sure anymore. I've got a Distortion in my PRS that REALLY thickens up when you unleash it, and the Custom keeps its openness. Is this a magnet problem, a guitar problem, or a pickup problem?

Re: Wanting a little more saturation

I think it's a wind problem. The Custom wind is a very open, PAF-ish voiced wind, where as the Distortion was built for saturation.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. I may give the Crazy 8 I've got in my drawer another shot and see if that does the trick. I don't really want to put any money into it, and I really like the Distortion set in the PRS. Thanks, dude, and I'm still listening.

Comment

honestly, i think you should take the time to put the DD in your LP to see if it does the trick

i do not see why one would not do this.
        -IM

Comment

CTN is right....it is the wind of the Custom in that even though it is relatively hot, it is PAF voiced. The powerful midrange kick coupled with the large ceramic magnet of the DD hit the front end of the amp harder and definitely saturate more. You have both pickups, so I say give it a shot. More food for thought: some guys here have tried the oversized ceramic in the Custom with good results.

Comment

There's another option that's not as drastic. And it still works. Raise the pickup. I put it closer to the strings, and it thickened it up a bit. Still good range from fairly clean to pretty thick, but that ought to do the trick until I get unhappy. And that may not happen.

By the way, the reason I didn't put the Distortion in the LP is because I like that guitar just the way it is. I'm not going to break what's working properly.

Comment

Working...
            X