Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help Picking Out Some New Pickups

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I have that Wilshire and happen to really like the mini hums in it. You realize that there are, however, other mini hums that may get the tones you seek (SM-3, Seymourized, would be a good choice). But if you really feel the need to change, I'd recommend P-90's, for a couple reasons.

1. You won't have to rout out your body to fit in full sized buckers;

2. P-90's work exceptionally well in that guitar. (the Wilshire is essentially like an SG with solid mahogany body and neck. P-90's and SG's were made for each other, can't get much better except maybe a C8 in the bridge);

3. Some buckers are very picky about the guitars/woods they are used in (eg. JB) and you may just open up a whole new can of worms.

Certainly there is a HUGE selections of hummers that would work in your guitar to get what you're looking for. But P-90's, with their two magnet structure, allow near-infinite tonal tweaking possibilities and would drop right in. The SP90-2 set might be a great place for you to start, with possibility of mag swaps to dial them in to perfection.
    I realized after taking a better look at the guitar under the hood, that re-routing might be more of a pain in the @$$ then its worth actually lol. The 'Shire is my first actual guitar (well, my only real electric for that matter). I love everything about the guitar except those damned mini-hums that come stock on it. The P90s sound like it could be the trick depending on which ones. This actually relates to another question I had regarding the SP90-2 and 3: does the ceramic magnets in the SP90-2 and 3 change the P90 characteristics over the pickup? I know most P90s are made with alnico mags instead of ceramic, and alnico as different characteristics than ceramic, so really it comes down to does it still sound P90-y? Lol I'm sorry, I'm new to this X-D the Wilshire is my first true electric.

Comment

Re: Need Help Picking Out Some New Pickups

One thing I came across actually, since I noticed a lot of people recommending the super distortion (and from the sound clips I've heard, It sounds friggin gnarly) is that Dimarzio makes an SD sized for a mini-hum/P90, so I wouldn't have to rout anything X-D now the question is, qould the DLX Plus be a good match, or maybe some kind P90, like the SP90-2 GuitarDoc mentioned?

Comment

Working...
      X