Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups for distorted music?

Originally posted by GREEN DAY LP GEEK View Post
    I'm just starting out but I'm using a fender 15g amp nothing great but it works but I want that DOOKIE type of sound and with this I'm getting like a grunge type of vibe
    Then a new amp will probably get you much farther then a new set of pickups.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I have gain all the way up bass at half mid at four and treble all the way

Comment

Oh ya gain to 11 nice. I personally would upgrade the amp also, as Edgecrusher said. Are u only playing at home or u play out also? Do u record?

Just curious man. Im pretty sure blink used strats or teles in their older stuff. Sounds single coil to me. As for Dookie? Def humbucker. For things like Dookie etc i personally would grab a medium output pickup. I personally wouldnt get a ceramic mag pickup. Thas just me

Good luck man
        -IM

Comment

I'm just starting out but I'm using a fender 15g amp nothing great but it works but I want that DOOKIE type of sound and with this I'm getting like a grunge type of vibe
          You would be wasting money on different pickups. Start looking for a better amp. Once that is sorted, youll at least be in a position to get some benefit from different pups.
          I have a 15g and a 15r in my teaching studio. I cant really think of anything positive to say about these amps apart from the fact that they are cheap and small - and that the 15r has a real reverb tank (even tho its not a very good sounding reverb tank). The only way i can get an almost passable sound out of these amps is to have the treble on zero. Otherwise it sounds like a tin full of angry bees.

But if you really want to spend your money on pickups:
          Dookie: JB
          Blink: invader
          other option: duncan distortion
          Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-26-2013, 12:01 AM.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I also have a peavey studio pro 112 is that any better than the fender?

Comment

Based on the price of a new LP100 being $250 USD, I will suggest the following amps:

Roland 20XL Cube - $180

Blackstar HT-1 1x8 Combo - $270

The Roland will be a great practice, as well as the Blackstar, but here are the differences:

- The Cube will have no maintenance
              - The HT-1 will probably fulfill your needs longer than the cube, just needs 2 tubes to be replaced about every year, each tube costing around $10-$15.

Comment

I also have a peavey studio pro 112 is that any better than the fender?
                yes it should be a lot better due in part to the 12 inch speaker, more headroom and a beefier cabinet.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                X