Can someone please explain the PATB parallel axis pickups to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please explain the PATB parallel axis pickups to me

As the title suggests. I have been very curious about these pickups. there is scattered info on the board about them but not overwhelming info. They seem like the perfect humbucker.If Any of you guys using them could explain how they compare. for the record, I love the custom and Distortion humbucker. Those are my favs and I'm using a custom/JB hybrid now which i love that gives me a little different voicing from the stock custom, JB or DD. How does these PATB pups compare in sound. this is for high gain amps and hard rock/ heavy metal playing.

My concerns, if any at all, would be for the DD: I would like a bit more mid range bite
    for the custom: it would be the lack of precision and responsiveness of the DD
    and for the JB, the low end flubbiness and mid range....thing going on

Other than that I really love all of these pickups but that is why I experimented with the hybrids. I am very satisfied with the custom/jb hybrid so far. Just curious about how these parallel axis buckers stack up tone wise

Re: Can someone please explain the PATB parallel axis pickups to me

"They're ****ing amazing" explains the PATB in 3 words. It does not compare to the JB, DC or DD at all imo, it's a totally different breed, delivering clarity, articulation, tightness and fullness in truckloads in a way previously unheard of. Well, now you've got no excuse not to try them!

Comment

I have a few of the PATB-1b and one PATB-1n. They are great. The bridge is a bit like the JB, but just a little more open. They clean up nice too. The neck falls into that range of the Jazz and the '59 and also cleans up great. The neck is a little more articulate in the lows.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to agree with the above comments, even though my only experience has been the Crazy 8. They redefine versatility, from my point of view. No pickup I've played has the clarity and dynamic range. You really have to try it, and I totally agree they are an underappreciated part of the line.

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
          As the title suggests. I have been very curious about these pickups. there is scattered info on the board about them but not overwhelming info. They seem like the perfect humbucker.If Any of you guys using them could explain how they compare. for the record, I love the custom and Distortion humbucker. Those are my favs and I'm using a custom/JB hybrid now which i love that gives me a little different voicing from the stock custom, JB or DD. How does these PATB pups compare in sound. this is for high gain amps and hard rock/ heavy metal playing.

My concerns, if any at all, would be for the DD: I would like a bit more mid range bite
          for the custom: it would be the lack of precision and responsiveness of the DD
          and for the JB, the low end flubbiness and mid range....thing going on

Other than that I really love all of these pickups but that is why I experimented with the hybrids. I am very satisfied with the custom/jb hybrid so far. Just curious about how these parallel axis buckers stack up tone wise
          I recorded our whole last album's rhythm guitars with the PATB2 distortion straight into my Marshall TSL 100, no fx no boost. Just check the songs on our reverbnation page, http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/darkorder
          DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

I have an A4 PATB-1n / A8 PATB-3 (Blues Saraceno model)

To my ears, in a neck-through, all-maple, 24-fretter, 25.5" scaled instrument, this set sounds surprisingly "vintage-y", specially considering the mag combo.

For the record, these are the most sensible to height regulation of all p'ups I actually have. Not even half-a-turn of the height screw can make or break the "sweet spot"; even with a powerful A8 it behaves so. Must be the "Paralel Axis" design at work, dunno.

HTH,
            Last edited by LtKojak; 08-01-2013, 04:39 AM.

Comment

I've been using the PATB-2 (Distortion) in the bridge of my Jackson for over a year now. It probably won't come out. That pick up is just fantastic. Thick but crunchy and tight in low end, great mids and singing and defined highs for leads. I play mostly higher gain metal/hard rock and for this it excels completely. It cleans up surprisingly well too and at least with my Triaxis/2:90 doesn't distort my clean channel unless I beat the hell out of my strings. It almost takes the best parts of the Custom, Distortion and JB and puts them together.

For lower gain work and playing classic rock, blues, etc., it does surprisingly well. A lot of this is my amp though as the Triaxis is very versatile in the tones I can get. I will say that if those were my main styles I may choose a different pick up or at least the PATB-1 or PATB-3.

I'm going to install a coil split and also a PATB-3 in the neck and see how that goes.

Overall, I'm super impressed with the PATB-2 and feel that the whole line is underrated and underused.

Comment

PATB-2 better in bright or dark guitars?
                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                  I recorded our whole last album's rhythm guitars with the PATB2 distortion straight into my Marshall TSL 100, no fx no boost. Just check the songs on our reverbnation page, http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/darkorder
                  could not get the page to load. but i am curious to hear it

I am curious about the patb-1 neck and both the patb-2 distortion and crazy 8

Are the parallel axis bobbins only designed for better sustain? What are some of the qualities of these bobbins vs the standard pole humbuckers?

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
                    could not get the page to load. but i am curious to hear it?
                    Load the home page; then type "dark lord" using the site's search engine.

HTH,

Comment

Wow, you guys are selling me on this and I'm not even in the freakin market for one.

I have a '91 Ibanez USA Custom that ended up as a bone yard for extra pickups, so I'm pretty sure she has an old JB in the bridge. It sounds to me like I can breathe some new life into the old girl and try something new at the same time.

Thanks guys. I'm really into the Black Winters right now but I'm not sure they're a match for that particular Ibanez. I'm going to try the PATB-2 now.

EDIT:
                      Come to think of it, I've always wanted one of these things. I remember them just looking awesome in the Guitar World ads when I was in highschool. It's time.
                      Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 08-02-2013, 01:59 PM. Reason: Edit marked.
                      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

They go well in the RGT42 I have...
                        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

LD you won't be disappointed. For a high output pup, the PATB-2 is very dynamic and responsive. It is of course compressed, but in some respects responds like a lower output pup. For example, on my clean channels, it won't even really break it up unless I beat the hell out of the strings. (Keep in mind I have a lot of head room) It also responds very well to volume controls.

Comment

well i hear that the patb-2 has a lot of dynamic range, then i hear it is very compressed..

Hey Jeff5 could you elaborate a bit. You said it takes best parts of the custom, distortion and JB. I have experience with all three of these. I'm curious your opinion of how the patb2 compares to each one, especially the distortion

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X