banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DD neck vs Screamin Demon in neck position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD neck vs Screamin Demon in neck position?

What would be the tonal and touch differences? I'm guessing the Demon will be clearer and more articulate with lower output. DD neck fatter and higher output. Does this sound about right? I would be pairing it with a Full Shred in the bridge. Playing classic to modern metal.

Re: DD neck vs Screamin Demon in neck position?

In comparison to the Full Shred bridge, I think the DD could be a little harsh in the neck, especially if too close to the strings. Go with the Demon instead.

Comment

+1 for the Demon in the neck.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Huh, I never imagined that the DD would be harsh, I just thought it would be really fat and loud. I figured that the Demon would balance better output-wise, so I'm glad to have that confirmed. Thanks!

Comment

i dont think the dd neck sound harsh at all

Comment

I wish I had tried the Screamin' Demon so I could really answer the question, but in the right guitar, the Distortion neck is a beautiful thing. I did not like it at all in my Les Paul, but in my PRS SE Custom, it's perfect. I've been through quite a few neck pickups in that guitar, and that's the one that's staying. And classic metal is basically my bread and butter.

Comment

As far as output goes, I think the Demon would work better. I do like the DD neck when matched with the DD bridge.

LP Custom
              Greenbacks
              Boss SD-1

Comment

DDn is not harsh, but the Demon is the one you want.

Comment

Just installed the Demon in the neck. First impression is that its kinda polite, not very fat. I need to mess around with pickup height, then maybe tweak polepieces. Will give another report after I've played it a while longer.

Comment

I adjusted the height of the Demon everywhere from flush with my SG's pickguard all the way up to almost touching the strings when fretting at the 22nd fret...still no luck. Still too bright and thin.

Comment

Thanks much for the info. I've been in a quandary over these exact same two pickups for the neck in a 24 fretter. Leaning towards the DDn right now.

Comment

I'm a knucklehead. I got my pickups wired in reverse so the Demon was "on" when my switch was in the bridge position. Demon sounds pretty nice with an overall even tone. No frequencies over emphasized or left out. Vintage output and flavor, which makes sense given its design. Fairly smooth when it pushes my amp into overdrive. By comparison the Full Shred's overdrive is gritty and a little raspy.

Comment

I switched it so both rows are screws, makes it a bit thicker and lessens the plinkiness of the attack that I didn't dig so much. Might be worth a try for you too.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                            X