• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for Some New P'ups... This Time for an Ibanez RG570

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    (1) Duncan - Alternative 8/Screamin' Demon
    (2) Dimarzio (Petrucci's) - Crunch Lab/Liquifire
    (3) Bareknuckle - Cold Sweat combo

I would recomment the Screamin' Demon (SH-12) in the Bridge and the JP Liquifire in the Neck. IMO, the Crunchlab did not handle clean tones very well. The SH-12 and Liquifire are amazing clean and both handle gain like a boss.
    I appreciate the input! But I already bought an Alternative 8 for the bridge, and I'm on the hunt for a used Screamin' Demon for the neck. Would you suggest that I consider getting new pots as well? And if so, which pots (ie, 250K, 500K, etc.)? I have no clue what the stock pots are. Thanks again for the response!
    Some recordings from my college days a few years ago: http://www.soundcloud.com/mytochon
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Niloy63 View Post
      I appreciate the input! But I already bought an Alternative 8 for the bridge, and I'm on the hunt for a used Screamin' Demon for the neck. Would you suggest that I consider getting new pots as well? And if so, which pots (ie, 250K, 500K, etc.)? I have no clue what the stock pots are. Thanks again for the response!
      Sorry! I didn't read thru all of the posts, just did a quick reply!

Well, personally I would upgrade the pots (I usually prefer 500k but use 250k with a JB.) Seymour Duncan & Fender (American NOT Mexican) make really good quality pots and you can get them reasonably on eBay. The original pots in that RG are good pots, just old and from the looks of how that kid treated her, the guitar hasn't been in the best condition. But that is just my personal opinion–and I don't have experience with a Alt 8 pickup, so others may say to use a 250k pot...I just found that the 250k seems to work best with mainly a JB.

Comment

Sorry! I didn't read thru all of the posts, just did a quick reply!

Well, personally I would upgrade the pots (I usually prefer 500k but use 250k with a JB.) Seymour Duncan & Fender (American NOT Mexican) make really good quality pots and you can get them reasonably on eBay. The original pots in that RG are good pots, just old and from the looks of how that kid treated her, the guitar hasn't been in the best condition. But that is just my personal opinion–and I don't have experience with a Alt 8 pickup, so others may say to use a 250k pot...I just found that the 250k seems to work best with mainly a JB.
        I really appreciate the detailed response. Thank you! I think I'll go for a pair of CTS 500K Audio Taper Pots for both Tone and Volume controls from Stew Mac. I'm figuring that it'll brighten up the Alternative 8 just a bit.
        Some recordings from my college days a few years ago: http://www.soundcloud.com/mytochon
        "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

The original RG pots are MIJ and were quality parts, they will be fine as long as they are functioning correctly. They're 500K btw. I'd just swap the pickups in as long as everything is working.

The spacing shouldn't be a big deal, the stock V2 may or may not be F-spaced itself. The one I have isn't.

On the Demon, if you find the pick attack kinda "plinky" (I did), swap the hex screws out for standard slotted fillisters. I prefer it this way in the neck, more midrange and smoother, and somewhat resembles the Liquifire.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
            The original RG pots are MIJ and were quality parts, they will be fine as long as they are functioning correctly. They're 500K btw. I'd just swap the pickups in as long as everything is working.

The spacing shouldn't be a big deal, the stock V2 may or may not be F-spaced itself. The one I have isn't.

On the Demon, if you find the pick attack kinda "plinky" (I did), swap the hex screws out for standard slotted fillisters. I prefer it this way in the neck, more midrange and smoother, and somewhat resembles the Liquifire.
            Solid information. I appreciate it! Everything is working fine, so I'm glad to hear that's one less thing I need to do. I hope I can grab a used Screamin' Demon sooner than later... I'm getting antsy to hear how this guitar is going to sound. I'm stoked!

Comment

Here is a Screamin' Demon (SH-12) for sale, but it may be more than you were wanting to pay used. I'd check eBay for one, might have to check around for a while, but should be able to find one in your price range.

Comment

Here is a Screamin' Demon (SH-12) for sale, but it may be more than you were wanting to pay used. I'd check eBay for one, might have to check around for a while, but should be able to find one in your price range.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ckups-For-Sale

Thanks for the heads up! That would've been great, but since I'm grabbing the Demon for the neck, I'll need an SH-12 rather than the TB-12. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! That would've been great, but since I'm grabbing the Demon for the neck, I'll need an SH-12 rather than the TB-12. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
                  Obviously reading comprehension skills are not my forte. lol I thought it was a SH...lol The eBay option should not have any reading, writing, or arithmetic issues...lol I have some items/searches saved so eBay notifies me when certain items are listed, that may or may not be something you are interested.

Also, you can setup a "WTB" on this site as well as Craigslist...just an idea

Comment

Obviously reading comprehension skills are not my forte. lol I thought it was a SH...lol The eBay option should not have any reading, writing, or arithmetic issues...lol I have some items/searches saved so eBay notifies me when certain items are listed, that may or may not be something you are interested.

Also, you can setup a "WTB" on this site as well as Craigslist...just an idea
                    Hahaha... man you've been over the top helpful, and I appreciate it! I added one of those "Follow Search" thingies on Ebay. So b/w that and the Trading Post, I should be covered.

Comment

Hahaha... man you've been over the top helpful, and I appreciate it! I added one of those "Follow Search" thingies on Ebay. So b/w that and the Trading Post, I should be covered.
                      Haha! Well thank you man, glad I could be of help! I love these forums--they've been helpful to me! Best of luck getting the guitar to your liking, I hope the eBay search thing will get you what you are looking for!

Comment

The cts pots from stew Mac didn't fit my Rg220b. Shaft was too thick. I used their other offering, the pots from Alpha.
                        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Haha! Well thank you man, glad I could be of help! I love these forums--they've been helpful to me! Best of luck getting the guitar to your liking, I hope the eBay search thing will get you what you are looking for!
                          Thanks brother. And you're absolutely right! This forum has been unbelievably amazing in helping me find tones that I'm looking for. I hope I can help someone else the way many members in here, including yourself, have helped me!

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
                          The cts pots from stew Mac didn't fit my Rg220b. Shaft was too thick. I used their other offering, the pots from Alpha.
                          Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't trust myself cutting into the guitar in any way, shape or form. lol

Comment

Just got the Alt 8 and the Screamin Demon into the RG, and let me tell ya... the axe FINALLY sounds killer! The stock Ibanez pickups really sucked! The Alt8 chugs better than the Custom (SH-5) I got in my Les Paul. Though the string definition it gives when playing chords isn't quite as "clean" as the custom, the Alt 8 lead tones are badass! And what a surprise the Screamin Demon turned out to be in the neck. As so many on here said, the cleans are crystal clear. The bass isn't overpowering, the highs are not piercing... it's just a damn good balanced pickup for the neck. I still need to get the middle pickup, but I won't bother messing with it for a while.

Again... I can't believe how good the Alt 8 plays under high gain. It's a crushing tone with thud-pumping "chugs." The Mesa Rec has never sounded so powerful... for real. lol

Comment

Glad the combo works for you, man

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                                Glad the combo works for you, man
                                I appreciate it. Definitely VERY happy with all the advise that fellow members like yourself have given me. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X