X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking P-Rail and Triple-Shot Experts for technical help

PART-1

Has anybody else had problems with the Series/Parallel Push-Pull function on the bridge volume pot (not the series/parallel on the triple-shot) with this diagram:

i've only check the results with a multi-meter so far. but when the push/pull is down, everything is working correctly (with the 2 triple-shot rings in series mode). however, when i pull out the push/pull to engage the series mode, everything shuts off, according to my multimeter

i've gone through my wiring over and over again, and as far as i can see, i've copied the diagram correctly. as well as adding a bridge, and tone-knob ground

PART-2

the multimeter indicates that the NECK Prail:

P90 coil = 5.39
    Rail coil = 7.13

is this correct? on the bridge Prail the P90 coil 10.24, and the rail coil is 8.30
    Last edited by Snoogles; 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM.
    good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Re: Seeking P-Rail and Triple-Shot Experts for technical help

do you have the phase switch too or just the series/parallel and triple shots?

Comment

got the phase switch as well
      good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

That diagram seems correct to me.
        My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

i'll re-check my wiring then
          maybe the pot is faulty
          good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

wired in a new pot

still isn't working. i pull out the series/parallel pot switch and everything goes dead according to the multimeter
            well, the bridge pickup works. but the middle and neck positions are dead

anybody have an idea?
            good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

has anybody here wired this diagram with successful results?

the only thing i can think of is that the series/parallel function does not work when the phase switch is pushed down.
              i didn't actually test the circuit with the phase switch pulled out
              Last edited by Snoogles; 08-19-2013, 05:30 AM.
              good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

i've SORT OF figured out this problem

I had only been testing the series volume pot function with both triple shot rings in series setting
                apparently this is the setting that doesn't work
                if the triple shots are set in parallel, or in single-coil setting, then the series volume pot works as it should.

which doesn't quite make sense, because i have another 2-humbucker guitar, with this wiring scheme (except without the phase function), that works this way. both pickups in series, AND in series with each other
                good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

P-Rails are a little different in wiring then the humbuckers with the triple shots.
                  Here check this post out.
                  Please read through all posts.

Peace
                  joyouswolf on eBay for references.
                  Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Comment

does it matter that the diagram that i'm using is the only "jimmy page" diagram to have the series/parallel switch on the bridge pickup instead of the neck pickup?

google:
                    good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogles View Post
                      does it matter that the diagram that i'm using is the only "jimmy page" diagram to have the series/parallel switch on the bridge pickup instead of the neck pickup?

google:
                      http://www.google.com/search?q=jimmy...h=726#imgdii=_
                      It shouldn't however remember that this diagram shows humbuckers with the triple shots & pp pots. You have P-Rails so the color coding is a little different from coil to coil conversion.
                      So this may factor into what your trying to do. From the other post on this matter.

"I've done this on one of my guitars and it's not the same coil for coil.
                      Duncan humbuckers are black/white wires north/slug coil, green/red wires south/screws coil.
                      P-Rails are the opposite black/white wires are the P90 which looks like the south coil on a humbucker.
                      And the green/red are the blade which looks like the north coil on a humbucker.
                      So depending on how you wan't the triple shots to work you may need to flip some of the wires to get the P90 or blade pickup on alone.
                      You can test this on a meter to see for yourself which coil is what on the P-Rails.
                      The p90 will be the greater resistance on the meter then the blade pickup.
                      Does this make sense?"
                      joyouswolf on eBay for references.
                      Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by joyouswolf View Post
                        It shouldn't however remember that this diagram shows humbuckers with the triple shots & pp pots. You have P-Rails so the color coding is a little different from coil to coil conversion.
                        So this may factor into what your trying to do. From the other post on this matter.

"I've done this on one of my guitars and it's not the same coil for coil.
                        Duncan humbuckers are black/white wires north/slug coil, green/red wires south/screws coil.
                        P-Rails are the opposite black/white wires are the P90 which looks like the south coil on a humbucker.
                        And the green/red are the blade which looks like the north coil on a humbucker.
                        So depending on how you wan't the triple shots to work you may need to flip some of the wires to get the P90 or blade pickup on alone.
                        You can test this on a meter to see for yourself which coil is what on the P-Rails.
                        The p90 will be the greater resistance on the meter then the blade pickup.
                        Does this make sense?"
                        i've tested the leads with a meter, and the entire circuit. i think the only change is the way that the 2 mini switches work on the rings.
                        might be nice to know which wires are the start and which are the finish
                        good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

It doesn't matter if you use P-Rails or normal humbuckers. If you follow that diagram correctly, every switch position will produce sound. Triple check your wiring. Measure ohms between the terminals of the bridge volume push-pull that are shorted together, (closest terminals to the pot), and ground. Make sure you don't have a short to ground in either push-pull position.

Also, make sure the neck volume pot isn't turned all the way down. Or, turned all the way up, and wired backwards. Work those volume pots.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            It doesn't matter if you use P-Rails or normal humbuckers. If you follow that diagram correctly, every switch position will produce sound. Triple check your wiring. Measure ohms between the terminals of the bridge volume push-pull that are shorted together, (closest terminals to the pot), and ground. Make sure you don't have a short to ground in either push-pull position.

Also, make sure the neck volume pot isn't turned all the way down. Or, turned all the way up, and wired backwards. Work those volume pots.
                            when the bridge pot switch is pulled out, the meter reading between the 2 jumpered terminals, and the ground reads what ever the NECK pickup's triple-shot setting is. so if the neck's triple shot setting is for series, then the meter reading is 12.35 (the resistance for a neck Prail wired in series). if its set to the P-90 coil, then the meter reading between the 2 jumpered terminals and ground reads 7.25. if the triple shots are set to parallel, then its 3.06 and so forth.

i've re-wired this thing 3 times already, and i've used a brand new pot for the bridge volume.
                            good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

i've tried emailing Duncan directly but can't seem to get a response from them, other than their automated email.

has anybody else here gotten this particular diagram to fully work?
                              good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Working...
                              X